1 hour ago, Seto Kaiba said:

I remember a convention appearance where Patrick Stewart related a story about driving along and having someone pull alongside him and yell that he'd ruined their summer because of that cliffhanger. XD

That fan should have waited a few months - the continuation that set everything right back the way it was truly ruined things.  (only to be saved by the episode where Picard goes back to Earth and gets in a mud wrestling match with his brother).

On 7/29/2022 at 5:45 PM, Dobber said:

I was always confused as to why the poster showed the Enterprise firing on Regula 1. Lol

Chris

False advertising! We should start a class action suit! It'll be the biggest suit since my case against The Neverending Story! 

8 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

I remember a convention appearance where Patrick Stewart related a story about driving along and having someone pull alongside him and yell that he'd ruined their summer because of that cliffhanger. XD

Justified. 

15 hours ago, Dynaman said:

That fan should have waited a few months - the continuation that set everything right back the way it was truly ruined things.  (only to be saved by the episode where Picard goes back to Earth and gets in a mud wrestling match with his brother).

That's one of the main problems of episodic storytelling.  Each episode is developed more or less independently of the others, which means the ending of every story has to reset things to the status quo or there will be problems with subsequent stories.  That's why there's very little episode-to-episode continuity most of the time.

It wasn't until Star Trek: Deep Space Nine that the showrunners were able to transition to a more serialized format that allowed for more episode-to-episode continuity without the requirement to reset things to the status quo every time a story ended.  (That was undermined in Star Trek: Voyager by executive meddling.)

2 minutes ago, Mog said:

“Executive meddling” meaning by Berman or by Paramount?

Paramount.  

Voyager was originally going to be a much more serialized story with persistent problems and damage to the titular ship a bit like the "Year of Hell" two-parter.  UPN wanted a more episodic series like the recently concluded Star Trek: the Next Generation, and they won out over the showrunners in the end.  (This was a major part of Robert Beltran's discontent with the series, having signed to play Janeway's rival opposite Geneviève Bujold before cast changes and retooling of the story at UPN's behest left him playing Janeway's lifeless yes-man.)

15 minutes ago, sh9000 said:

While it's not one of TNG's strongest episodes, "Devil's Due" is one of my all-time favorites because of how hammy Ardra's delivery is... and how much FUN Patrick Stewart is clearly having in the end.

One of my favs -- When Picard walks back onto the bridge after being on the planet, Patrick Stewart just OWWNED that scene as he talked the other ships 1st officer in their "language".  Everyone on the Enterprise bridge was just like...WTF... Classic! 

2 hours ago, sh9000 said:

Oy.  This one.

Star Trek's go at "Video games are bad for you"... brought to you by the same Star Trek series that introduced the concept of the holodeck, the ultimate virtual reality game system that the characters use for every imaginable genre of gaming from children's edutainment and fitness/sports all the way up to immersive role-playing, true-to-life combat sims, and even erotic games (thanks Quark).

The one thing I really remember from the staff remarks on this one was how upset the production staff were with the VFX for the Ktarian game... they were promised an incredible digital effect, and what they got was "tubas on a checkerboard".

1 hour ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Oy.  This one.

Star Trek's go at "Video games are bad for you"... brought to you by the same Star Trek series that introduced the concept of the holodeck, the ultimate virtual reality game system that the characters use for every imaginable genre of gaming from children's edutainment and fitness/sports all the way up to immersive role-playing, true-to-life combat sims, and even erotic games (thanks Quark).

The one thing I really remember from the staff remarks on this one was how upset the production staff were with the VFX for the Ktarian game... they were promised an incredible digital effect, and what they got was "tubas on a checkerboard".

Wasn't this originally supposed to be about STDs anyways?