What is your rarest Star Wars item.

Swann

1 hour ago, Swann said:

And more than half of them are fake autographs  too.

Now, there's an excellent point.  The more rare and valuable a Star Wars collectible is perceived to be, the more likely it's actually a knock-off...

102756940_KOvs.vintageLukeStormtrooper.jpg.50e88e51bdc4fea417e981dd81a4dd2d.jpg

My KO Luke Stormtrooper is in much better condition than my OG Luke Stormtrooper. 😝

29 minutes ago, Big s said:

someone might only have the most common item ever but that might be the rarest item they have

Sure, but arguing the semantics leads to a bigger problem: "rarest" is a superlative, and "item" is singular, yet the OP has posted over two dozen items already. 😅

Something like "The Classic STAR WARS Merchandise Thread" would be a much less contentious title. 👍

11 minutes ago, Dynaman said:

My rarest is a model kit that is easily found in stores still...  Sadly I, gasp!, played with and threw away all my old SW toys.

All my old stuff went missing, most were thrown out by my mom. My rarest items are the mid to late 90’s action figures 

On 7/18/2022 at 6:27 PM, tekering said:

Now, there's an excellent point.  The more rare and valuable a Star Wars collectible is perceived to be, the more likely it's actually a knock-off...

My KO Luke Stormtrooper is in much better condition than my OG Luke Stormtrooper. 😝

Sure, but arguing the semantics leads to a bigger problem: "rarest" is a superlative, and "item" is singular, yet the OP has posted over two dozen items already. 😅

Something like "The Classic STAR WARS Merchandise Thread" would be a much less contentious title. 👍

Are you really living in Japan? I remember I argued with someone who has a Star Wars and has a Macross collection? Over who is more popular Macross or gundam. My answer is Macross. 

34 minutes ago, Swann said:

Are you really living in Japan? I remember I argued with someone who has a Star Wars and has a Macross collection? Over who is more popular Macross or gundam. My answer is Macross. 

Macross isn’t as popular as gundam. But the toys and kits are a quite a bit more collectible from Macross. It’s probably due to the high quality of early Macross entries. Some of those old kits and toys from Macross still hold up and the fact that there aren’t many rare gundam designs that don’t get a better version or rerelease every couple years make gundam less collectible even with the bigger popularity. Even when Macross stuff gets rereleased people buy them because the quality for a lot of those items was better than most of the classic gundam stuff.

Star Wars has had quite a few improvements in toys and kits over the years, but somehow the nostalgia for the old items that were common as a kid and the destructive parents Americans had adds to the rarity of those older items. That and the brand is far bigger than either Macross or Gundam.

3 hours ago, Swann said:

Are you really living in Japan? I remember I argued with someone who has a Star Wars and has a Macross collection?

My Macross collection is considerable, but nowhere near as extensive as my Star Wars collection.  I've had fans from all over Western Japan come to see my Star Wars stuff.

3 hours ago, Swann said:

who is more popular Macross or gundam.

That's not an argument.  It's a simple matter of fact that Gundam fandom is orders of magnitude larger than Macross fandom, and Star Wars fandom is orders of magnitude larger again.  You can't argue merchandising sales, box-office receipts, or convention attendance.

3 hours ago, Big s said:

the fact that there aren’t many rare gundam designs that don’t get a better version or rerelease every couple years make gundam less collectible

Also, all the early merchandise was aimed at kids, a market which Gundam entirely failed to attract in the '70s, and thus there's less nostalgia among adult collectors today.

0001726409.octet-stream

Poor sales of toys like this -- coupled with dangerously low ratings -- nearly killed Gundam outright during its initial broadcast...

DiecastR2-D2MissileFiringUnstickered.jpg

...whereas anything with the Star Wars logo was a hit right out of the gate. 

6 hours ago, tekering said:

My Macross collection is considerable, but nowhere near as extensive as my Star Wars collection.  I've had fans from all over Western Japan come to see my Star Wars stuff.

That's not an argument.  It's a simple matter of fact that Gundam fandom is orders of magnitude larger than Macross fandom, and Star Wars fandom is orders of magnitude larger again.  You can't argue merchandising sales, box-office receipts, or convention attendance.

Also, all the early merchandise was aimed at kids, a market which Gundam entirely failed to attract in the '70s, and thus there's less nostalgia among adult collectors today.

0001726409.octet-stream

Poor sales of toys like this -- coupled with dangerously low ratings -- nearly killed Gundam outright during its initial broadcast...

DiecastR2-D2MissileFiringUnstickered.jpg

...whereas anything with the Star Wars logo was a hit right out of the gate. 

I always see old vintage Gundam My Anime magazine insert stuff. That doesn't get any bids. If that was Macross. It would have been a battle.

On 7/18/2022 at 6:27 PM, tekering said:

Still a gold mine

12 minutes ago, Swann said:

I have never seen that one before 

You may have without realizing it. They ended up cheating in a few scenes in the later entries of the og trilogy and bought some of the mpc kits to save time for the model makers rather than scratch building all of them. I think the above is a rerelease of one of those kits if I’m not mistaken.

• 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 6/20/2022 at 6:34 AM, tekering said:

"Rarest" is difficult to quantify, but I'd say these three fit the description:

rarest.jpg.75466385b42cbfd717dc0d1a13396d3e.jpg

I bought the Yak Face from a Dutch collector through a classified newspaper ad in 1989.

I found the vinyl-cape Jawa at an Edmonton antique store in 1991.

The Blue Snaggletooth was purchased on eBay around 1999.

Signed Star Wars photographs don't even qualify as "rare," much less "rarest." 🙄

lamborghinis

Pretty much flogged most of my Star wars. No longer interested in it even though it was my collection's flagship as I collecting since as a kid. Only kept a few pieces. 

Rarest left. 2004 minifigure Lego Vader with light up light saber. (Not my pic, mine is stored)

image.png.e91492dfe53484199e618ccb0b298b64.png

Edited by Raikkonen

1 hour ago, Shawn said:

How about an limited release Empire Strikes Back poster by our favorite Macross Artists, Yoshiyuki Takani?

That's damn cool... :good:

...but the AT-ST is clearly the Return of the Jedi version. ☺️

• 2 weeks later...