Were these VF-1J colors ever done as a custom by anyone?

Radioguy

Just curious if anyone had ever seen someone do custom repaints of released toys as either Revell's Axoid blood-red & black box image VF-1J paint scheme, or a non-canon VF-1J all-over green for a Hayao who survived?

Those color schemes just seem to resonate with me, and I was curious if anyone went down a path to creating them.

Once I noticed that the legs were backwards on the Revell kit, I just can't unsee it. Not to mention that "fins" on the legs are also backwards.

I think I've spent too much time on these forums, I'm nit-picking too much. :crazy:

3 hours ago, DewPoint said:

Once I noticed that the legs were backwards on the Revell kit, I just can't unsee it. Not to mention that "fins" on the legs are also backwards.

I think I've spent too much time on these forums, I'm nit-picking too much. :crazy:

That's because they put the legs on backwards in Battroid mode; the fins would also be on the back!

As for doing the Axoid scheme: I would go with a medium red overall, and use dark red on the ends as shown.

BTW: someone tried it with their Axoid kit on Ebay (it's partly built):

https://www.ebay.com/itm/384899177592?hash=item599dc75c78:g:e50AAOSw0cVihpgK

After watching Macross and loving it so much, I went the opposite way and was upset they "jacked up" the colors AND decals from the anime😁. But I was excited to get the models with the correct decals in the kit. Today I see the seam lines and other flaws in the box art. I guess I'm in the same boat as @DewPoint!😉

Today I also understand they went the way they did for licensing reasons. So the paint schemes are actually REALLY cool in what they did. - MT

17 hours ago, tekering said:

I had no idea what you were referencing, so I dug up some online images for context:

revell-1-72-axoid-vf-1j-model-kit-3-mode

I own this one:

i-img1041x1200-1653225252sbfcmp286872.jp

Would you consider a Korean knock-off a "custom?"

Wow, hadn't expected any actual toy, even a KO, to exist in green. While it's no DX custom, and not 100% the scheme I'd wanted, I'd hop on that if reasonably priced...

As for Axoid, that blood red...well, it still looks great to me. Legs akimbo or not. There's a menace to it. Like it should have a necklace of skulls around its neck.

Plus the photographer Revell used did some great scenes for the kits they picked up. I loved model kit box art like those or from Testors, etc. As a kid, those looked so great, and it hurt SO much after the cellophane came off to see the contents and the work involved. :D

13 hours ago, pengbuzz said:

That's because they put the legs on backwards in Battroid mode; the fins would also be on the back!

As for doing the Axoid scheme: I would go with a medium red overall, and use dark red on the ends as shown.

BTW: someone tried it with their Axoid kit on Ebay (it's partly built):

https://www.ebay.com/itm/384899177592?hash=item599dc75c78:g:e50AAOSw0cVihpgK

Wish they finished! Oh, I don't know when I'd find the time to build a kit these days, but I don't know if I'd be happy at the moment with anything less than 1/60, and those kits were 1/72. If they finished and put it on eBay, though...who knows. I might be tempted. If I had my druthers, or a Powerball win, I'd have each scheme as DX customs.

In all, I'm kinda surprised no one so far has seen anyone do up an Axoid when Yamato did do a woodland camo like Orbot (Revell's VF-1D box paint scheme).

12 minutes ago, Radioguy said:

Wow, hadn't expected any actual toy, even a KO, to exist in green. While it's no DX custom, and not 100% the scheme I'd wanted, I'd hop on that if reasonably priced...

As for Axoid, that blood red...well, it still looks great to me. Legs akimbo or not. There's a menace to it. Like it should have a necklace of skulls around its neck.

Plus the photographer Revell used did some great scenes for the kits they picked up. I loved model kit box art like those or from Testors, etc. As a kid, those looked so great, and it hurt SO much after the cellophane came off to see the contents and the work involved. :D

Wish they finished! Oh, I don't know when I'd find the time to build a kit these days, but I don't know if I'd be happy at the moment with anything less than 1/60, and those kits were 1/72. If they finished and put it on eBay, though...who knows. I might be tempted. If I had my druthers, or a Powerball win, I'd have each scheme as DX customs.

In all, I'm kinda surprised no one so far has seen anyone do up an Axoid when Yamato did do a woodland camo like Orbot (Revell's VF-1D box paint scheme).

If I had my druthers, I'd buy that kit! But the shipping is just stupid on that one!

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/17/2022 at 4:33 AM, Mog said:

So, was dorking around the MW galleries and came across this custom by @miriya:

Not exactly the blood red and color scheme of that Axoid.  But very similar.

Thanks! Yeah, the dark red of the Axoid with black head and clear visor has more presence for me, but this ain't bad. I also saw this green J head custom, but I can't make the price work for me.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/165345844017

If it was the head alone, I'd grab it though.

greenvf1j.jpg