1/100 Custom Orguss-Valkyrie

yellowlightman

I've wanted to kitbash one of these for a while and have been putting aside kits for it for a while. Ended up using a 1/100 Wave Super VF-1S for the legs/arms/back, a 1/100 Wave VF-1A for the head, an old Bandai 1/100 Strike VF-1S for the fast pack, a 1/72 Orguss Tank for the shoulders, and a 1/48 Orguss Tank for the chest, pelvis, gun, and hip pods. Feet were made with styrene on top of the existing Wave kit feet.  Abdomen was the knee pad from a HGUC Marasai or something.

FQo4TqqXoAotO7c.jpeg.5d957255d83721a9cfefa74e491d8f7b.jpegFQo4TqVX0AUJh0g.jpeg.9bb3083973383c9c1d63aae43c7aac07.jpeg

Sizes and detail on the old Orguss kits are really weird. The 1/72 kit seemed sharper and had decidedly different detail than the 1/48. The 1/48 chest was a bit too big (or too small? I honestly forget now), so I sliced it down the middle. The round piece where the UN Space kite sits was a generic Wave piece. The lineart for the Orguss-Valkyrie is kind of vague in a lot of places, so I took some liberties. The forearm missiles were swapped for generic Wave tubes because the lineart makes them look more like guns. The lower chest and pelvis in the lineart don't really match either the VF-1 or Orguss, so I just kinda make it up and tried to maintain some of the same detail (like that small detail bit on the left hand side). More generic gunpla parts used in the hip pods to better match the lineart. Used the the old Bandai 1/100 fast pack because it was easier to pair two external sides (ie with boosters) than it would have been to cut out the internal structure on the Wave parts.

FSwuczxWYAEvBmc.jpeg.d2410be6c1f419f36989c388f99b3535.jpegFSwuczxXwAAv__1.jpeg.f686817f7fb87e8fc9c951409d0fad4b.jpeg

Briefly considered either scribing more panel lines in the older model kit parts or filling some of the panel lines in the newer Wave parts... but both of those seemed like a lot of work I didn't want to bother with. When it's all painted, isn't as noticeable as I'd thought. 

FUrQ4OWWAAICnKa.jpeg.2f5088e4a13b3637b377c2f9a31209d7.jpeg

Haven't had the time to get better pictures done, but it turned out alright I think. Ended up using mostly Tamiya rattle cans for painting, Mr. Hobby Weathering Color for panel lines. 

1 hour ago, yellowlightman said:

I've wanted to kitbash one of these for a while and have been putting aside kits for it for a while. Ended up using a 1/100 Wave Super VF-1S for the legs/arms/back, a 1/100 Wave VF-1A for the head, an old Bandai 1/100 Strike VF-1S for the fast pack, a 1/72 Orguss Tank for the shoulders, and a 1/48 Orguss Tank for the chest, pelvis, gun, and hip pods. Feet were made with styrene on top of the existing Wave kit feet.  Abdomen was the knee pad from a HGUC Marasai or something.

FQo4TqqXoAotO7c.jpeg.5d957255d83721a9cfefa74e491d8f7b.jpegFQo4TqVX0AUJh0g.jpeg.9bb3083973383c9c1d63aae43c7aac07.jpeg

Sizes and detail on the old Orguss kits are really weird. The 1/72 kit seemed sharper and had decidedly different detail than the 1/48. The 1/48 chest was a bit too big (or too small? I honestly forget now), so I sliced it down the middle. The round piece where the UN Space kite sits was a generic Wave piece. The lineart for the Orguss-Valkyrie is kind of vague in a lot of places, so I took some liberties. The forearm missiles were swapped for generic Wave tubes because the lineart makes them look more like guns. The lower chest and pelvis in the lineart don't really match either the VF-1 or Orguss, so I just kinda make it up and tried to maintain some of the same detail (like that small detail bit on the left hand side). More generic gunpla parts used in the hip pods to better match the lineart. Used the the old Bandai 1/100 fast pack because it was easier to pair two external sides (ie with boosters) than it would have been to cut out the internal structure on the Wave parts.

FSwuczxWYAEvBmc.jpeg.d2410be6c1f419f36989c388f99b3535.jpegFSwuczxXwAAv__1.jpeg.f686817f7fb87e8fc9c951409d0fad4b.jpeg

Briefly considered either scribing more panel lines in the older model kit parts or filling some of the panel lines in the newer Wave parts... but both of those seemed like a lot of work I didn't want to bother with. When it's all painted, isn't as noticeable as I'd thought. 

FUrQ4OWWAAICnKa.jpeg.2f5088e4a13b3637b377c2f9a31209d7.jpeg

Haven't had the time to get better pictures done, but it turned out alright I think. Ended up using mostly Tamiya rattle cans for painting, Mr. Hobby Weathering Color for panel lines. 

Looks great, a nice frankenkit too. I remember the first time seeing it on screen and being super confused. Oddly there were some old orgus toys and kits at the local stores back when hobby shops were in every neighborhood. I would always recognize the design and ask friends if that was the one in Macross. Unfortunately it was before the internet, so it was hard to get a clear picture off the vhs recording we made from Robotech. It wasn’t until a few years later that we found out that it was more of a teaser for Orgus 

That's wonderfully clean paint work, and a real unique piece to be proud of.  The squat line-art proportions don't really correspond to the VF-1 Valkyrie body, but you did the best with the available model parts.

7 hours ago, yellowlightman said:

Ended up using mostly Tamiya rattle cans for painting

I love the primary color you chose for the body.  What does Tamiya call that color?

1 hour ago, tekering said:

That's wonderfully clean paint work, and a real unique piece to be proud of.  The squat line-art proportions don't really correspond to the VF-1 Valkyrie body, but you did the best with the available model parts.

I love the primary color you chose for the body.  What does Tamiya call that color?

It's Tamiya AS-5 Light Blue (Luftwaffe). Isn't as much of a blue eggshell color as you see in a lot of Orguss art, but I think it looks pretty good.

And yeah, a lot of it doesn't quite match up. I debated using an older 1/100 or 1/72 Battroid kit to get closer to that anime/lineart proportions but it'd need a ton of work. 

Really nice kitbash. Someone should make a pro kit out of that. It came out great!  Lovely to see the steps of it bashed, primed, and then painted. 

The final paint scheme looks wonderful, a great blue you chose, and a smooth final finish.

Hmmmm.... I need one of those, but didn't know it till now😄

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...