Willow, the series; streaming on Disney+

Thom

I didn't have high hopes for this but that trailer has me interested.  If it is as good as it looks then Disney Plus has another winner (and they are already far above every other streaming service in terms of original content already).

I kinda like the younger audience adventure stuff lately. Space shows like Lost in Space and the Mandalorian have been good so far and as far as fantasy, I really liked Dark Crystal. Hopefully more fun stuff will be on the way

On 5/26/2022 at 11:46 PM, Roy Focker said:

Looks like they wanted to make a young adult Dungeon and Dragons movie. Realized they don't own it and but then remembered they do own the rights to Willow. Could be fun.

That's kind of what happened with the original film. Lucasfilm wanted to do Lord Of The Rings, but couldn't get the rights so they did Willow instead.

My only hope is they don't base this series on the abysmal Shadow Moon sequel books.

2 hours ago, renegadeleader1 said:

That's kind of what happened with the original film. Lucasfilm wanted to do Lord Of The Rings, but couldn't get the rights so they did Willow instead.

My only hope is they don't base this series on the abysmal Shadow Moon sequel books.

It doesn't look that way. It looks like his wife is still alive in this, whereas she and the kids are dead in the sequel book. As are Madmartigan and Sorsha. And he went by the name Thorn Drumhelller. So, hopefully not, unless they pick and choose from that plot and feed into a new story. 

22 minutes ago, Thom said:

It doesn't look that way. It looks like his wife is still alive in this, whereas she and the kids are dead in the sequel book. As are Madmartigan and Sorsha. And he went by the name Thorn Drumhelller. So, hopefully not, unless they pick and choose from that plot and feed into a new story. 

I wonder what they plan to do about Madmartigan? I'd love to see Kilmer return for it, but I don't know what they would do about working his vocal injury into it?

1 hour ago, pengbuzz said:

I wonder what they plan to do about Madmartigan? I'd love to see Kilmer return for it, but I don't know what they would do about working his vocal injury into it?

It was throat cancer and Val Kilmer is in terrible shape right now because of it. Doubt he'll return.

1 hour ago, TangledThorns said:

It was throat cancer and Val Kilmer is in terrible shape right now because of it. Doubt he'll return.

Yeah; I recall the surgery injured his throat and damaged his voice, from what I understand.

1 hour ago, Bolt said:

I'm kinda excited to see this. And it's great to hear that Madmartigan lives on !

I’m with you there. I guess there’s another movie coming out with Val and his daughter and he actually has some speaking lines. From what I understand, it wasn’t easy and they had to record on days where he was feeling top notch, but it’s great to hear he’s really pushing to be in these projects.

• 3 months later...

The trailer makes it seem that they're staying true to the original movie and actually paying respect to those characters while introducing new ones to expand its world and carry it forward, instead of the all too insidious trend of reimagining/rebooting/adapting to current year hang-ups/narratives... refreshing and commendable if that turns out to be the case; however, this being from Disney (their track record of producing mostly garbage and eviscerating franchises and their own past glories to push The Message over the past several years), I'm not holding any hope that the trailer isn't just a cynical bait-and-switch and that the final product won't be a butchered pile of Troll droppings.  Please let me be wrong...

14 hours ago, mechaninac said:

The trailer makes it seem that they're staying true to the original movie and actually paying respect to those characters while introducing new ones to expand its world and carry it forward, instead of the all too insidious trend of reimagining/rebooting/adapting to current year hang-ups/narratives... refreshing and commendable if that turns out to be the case; however, this being from Disney (their track record of producing mostly garbage and eviscerating franchises and their own past glories to push The Message over the past several years), I'm not holding any hope that the trailer isn't just a cynical bait-and-switch and that the final product won't be a butchered pile of Troll droppings.  Please let me be wrong...

Agree, and yet I’m still hopeful. 

Chris

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, mechaninac said:

We shall all see in due time, won't we? That said, Disney's track record over the last few years does no inspire much hope...

Track record? Andor is one of the best shows of 2022. The Mandalorian is consistently entertaining. There have been some stand out Marvel shows. They’ve proven they can produce good shows.

Very true. But they're still inconsistent. Book of Boba was so watered down and outright silly with the romper room speeder bike gang. And Obi-Wan was quite a disappointment. The only good thing about that whole series was his last duel with Vader. The list goes on, but you get the point..

5 hours ago, Duke Togo said:

Track record? Andor is one of the best shows of 2022. The Mandalorian is consistently entertaining. There have been some stand out Marvel shows. They’ve proven they can produce good shows.

Quality is subjective (it is perfectly within one's right to like or dislike whatever they want), too little too late is a thing, and Disney's list of mediocrities, disappointments, failures, and wtf-ims over the past several years far outstrips their successes, as attested by their dwindling viewership and box-office losses.

Just in recent years: Mulan, Light Year, Solo, Shang-Chi, Black Widow, Eternals, even Dr Strange 2 and Thor L&T disappointed... Shall I go on?  The one thing I don't understand is why be so defensive about it?  Is Disney some unreproachable sacred cow or something???...

2 hours ago, mechaninac said:

Just in recent years: Mulan, Light Year, Solo, Shang-Chi, Black Widow, Eternals, even Dr Strange 2 and Thor L&T disappointed... Shall I go on?  The one thing I don't understand is why be so defensive about it?  Is Disney some unreproachable sacred cow or something???...

Disappointed you, or lost money? You said “box-office losses.” Which Disney films have lost money?

Not a sacred cow by any means, but you’re painting a picture of systematic failure which is just not backed up by anything.

As for the topic at hand, we’ll see about Willow when it comes out. Clickbait YouTube videos and articles from non-reputable sites aren’t actual sources of any real information regarding the series.