Macross 40th Anniversary Exhibit at the Osamu Tezuka Memorial Hall feat. self-transforming SDF-1

no3Ljm

5 minutes ago, jvmacross said:

Ummm...if you say so...:shok:

415B9B82-1B4F-433A-AD63-0E9904B3B4DA.jpeg

Actually, Tekkering and I both do. He's correct on the conning tower, VOTL assemblies and Main Cannon Booms.

Both of us have been working for quite some time now on accurizing the 1/3000 scale SDF-1 Macross, and are intimately familiar with the correct proportions and alignment of the ship in Fortress and Storm Attacker modes. Those areas could use some major tightening up if they plan on selling this as a product.

1 minute ago, pengbuzz said:

Actually, Tekkering and I both do. He's correct on the conning tower, VOTL assemblies and Main Cannon Booms.

Both of us have been working for quite some time now on accurizing the 1/3000 scale SDF-1 Macross, and are intimately familiar with the correct proportions and alignment of the ship in Fortress and Storm Attacker modes. Those areas could use some major tightening up if they plan on selling this as a product.

I never said either was "accurate"...but clearly due to the limitations of the transformation gimmick, the attacker mode is the focus (as best they could to allow for transformation to/from cruiser/attacker modes) on this specific model...both modes are pretty bad to be honest, but it's understandable due to what they designed it to do....

Had this been an announced demo for an upcoming TV SDF-1 from Bandai or Arcadia...it would have been critiqued to shreds by now....

17 minutes ago, jvmacross said:

both modes are pretty bad to be honest, but it's understandable due to what they designed it to do...

True enough.  That $750 Optimus Prime was painfully lame for the same reasons. 😒

shollister_210724_4708_0014.jpg

Still, if this 70cm SDF-1 was available as a model kit, it would make for a fabulous Attacker mode display with only minor modifications. 😇

The shoulders on the SDF-1 also sit too high up in Attacker too.

Yeah. . . self-transforming and all that.

. . . But we do need an updated, large scale TV style Macross. :5:

Quick question… Or maybe I’m missing something obvious, but who is the figure in the hat and the cape? The one who is also in the artwork with Ranka and Sheryl and the horse?

Edit: I figured it out. It’s one of Osamu Tezuka’s characters—I was missing the obvious.😅

Edited by technoblue

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Shawn said:

the humans are 600 yen each so guessing it is a size thing?

image.png.f93704c19fd7e697ff40bb0463c611c5.png

Speaking of those...

Take note of the "random products" in their description: they are like those Lego mini-figure mystery packs where you don't know what is inside them (with cardboard inserts to prevent people from feeling what's inside, too!)  The keychains and buttons are packaged and sold the same way.*

The SDF-1 Macross coffee mugs are also "1 per person per visit".

On the other hand, they still had merchandise from the Macross: The Art exhibit from 2018, as well as a selection of Macross/SDF-1 T-shirts (all sold only in Japanese L size).

* The large-sized Zentradi ones aren't random.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The transforming prototype looks like a Hasegawa kit they remodeled for transformation. Display base looks like it's from the kit.  Edit: Nvm, if I scrolled further in the tweets he shows the process. I like how they added the prototype explanation panel to the exhibit. The designer stated the hardest part in balancing is when the Arms are spread out. They even added TREX's drawings next to the transforming display.

hsgmc05_1.jpg

Edited by wmkjr
Added pic

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know if there's anything else on display besides the toys and the SDF-1? Any original HAL artwork, for example?

I was in Japan recently and decided not to visit the museum because it was too far out of the way for me for something that I didn't have much information on, and I was skeptical that it'd be worth it after the disappointing pop-up shop in Tokyo.

Edited by kazuo

On 8/13/2022 at 9:49 PM, pengbuzz said:

Sorry, but that SDF-1 needs a bra! lol

It looks like they weren't able to get the motors to pull everything into its proper place at the extreme ends of the transformation - whether it's lack of leverage or just being scared of breaking something I don't know. It sort of goes from 90% ship to 90% robot...

• 3 months later...

Looks like the new illustration for the 40th Macross exhibit as it moves to Yokohama....

AA2B2004-7C06-4DBB-A674-0B298D6C6015.jpeg

Looking forward to new merch!  Hope they are not "styled" after Osamu Tezuka....

The "stylized" look of the VF's and mecha for this new illustration reminds me of Kawamori's previous illustration used for the old DVD set....

large.20220110_183557.jpg.d998b25d9033d8

Edited by jvmacross