HMR Macross Zero VF-0S Phoenix

jvmacross

On 12/25/2022 at 12:02 PM, HardlyNever said:

Merry Christmas to me, from Bandai I suppose.  Opened up my VF-0 from Mandarake and the head just kind of... fell off... which I found strange.  I noticed that it doesn't really fit right into the top of the chest plate, and yup, after looking at some other pictures, I seem to be missing an entire part of the neck.

I'm going to reach out to Mandarake.  I've ordered a lot from them before, but never had to return anything. Am I completely hosed here?  Has any one had any luck with returns/exchanges with them?  This particular item was marked as unopened and box damaged.  If I had to guess, this might be a QC reject from Bandai, but given their recent QC, it might just but one that slipped through.

IMG_20221225_112358.jpg

IMG_20221225_112339.jpg

I've heard that happens to 'pretty birds' sometimes...🤭

4 hours ago, Slave IV said:

Just seeing this so a bit late but Merry Christmas and happy holidays to the whole MW crew!

This is about the greatest Christmas special I ever seen! I’m considering it canon. 😄

There's a part 2, 😀

Edited by Thom

• 1 month later...

I recently got my VF-0's and for the most part, enjoy them! Of course there a few niggles so I any of you guys have any suggestions, I am open to suggestions...

1) Is there a method to do panel washing without damaging tampo print? 

2) Are they're any makers out there that can 3D print some ordinance in 1/100 & 1/60 scale? 

MW submit_WS.jpg

36 minutes ago, wsna said:

I recently got my VF-0's and for the most part, enjoy them! Of course there a few niggles so I any of you guys have any suggestions, I am open to suggestions...

2) Are they're any makers out there that can 3D print some ordinance in 1/100 & 1/60 scale? 

MW submit_WS.jpg

If you’re not costing it, a good acrylic thinned down with water will work. If you plan on coating it a lot of people like Flory’s since it washes away easy, but I find that if you don’t top coat the kit that it rubs away easily.

1 hour ago, Big s said:

If you’re not costing it, a good acrylic thinned down with water will work. If you plan on coating it a lot of people like Flory’s since it washes away easy, but I find that if you don’t top coat the kit that it rubs away easily.

enamel washing works too. Either method will not affect the tampo printing and yes a layer of top coat would be necessary to seal the deal.🙂

1 hour ago, Angesdad said:

enamel washing works too. Either method will not affect the tampo printing and yes a layer of top coat would be necessary to seal the deal.🙂

I’m always a bit worried with enamel paints on toys, since some plastics have issues like turning gummy or even cracking. Most of the hmr toys have been abs and probably wouldn’t have too many issues, but it’s a probably a personal paranoia 

9 hours ago, wsna said:

Flory washes are a solid choice if you're going to do the panel lining directly on the plastic. Water-based, easy cleanup, not permanent in case you change your mind.

https://www.florymodels.org/washes

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

I'm tempted, but have some questions.

1. Does this type of white plastic of Bandai have a history of yellowing fast?

2. What type of top coat is recommended after panel lining and adding extra decals?

3. Does the heat shield fully cover the canopy? In some images it looks like it does, it some appears not fully.

4 minutes ago, Raikkonen said:

Hi,

2. What type of top coat is recommended after panel lining and adding extra decals?

3. Does the heat shield fully cover the canopy? In some images it looks like it does, it some appears not fully.

1. Don't know but none of mine are yellowed and I have every Macross HMR release.

2. No comment but I hear about people using various matte clear coats.

3. Yes, it does. On that note, not sure if I'm doing it wrong because I haven't messed with it much but I haven't found a secure lock in for the chest panel in battroid mode but the shield does extend and fully cover the canopy.

23 minutes ago, Raikkonen said:

The only one that's yellowing for me it's the original Hi-Metal VF-1J Hikaru, because now it gets direct sunlight most of the day. But I've had it for years before any problems

17 minutes ago, Slave IV said:

1. Don't know but none of mine are yellowed and I have every Macross HMR release.

2. No comment but I hear about people using various matte clear coats.

3. Yes, it does. On that note, not sure if I'm doing it wrong because I haven't messed with it much but I haven't found a secure lock in for the chest panel in battroid mode but the shield does extend and fully cover the canopy.

1 minute ago, Convectuoso said:

The only one that's yellowing for me it's the original Hi-Metal VF-1J Hikaru, because now it gets direct sunlight most of the day. But I've had it for years before any problems

Awesome. Cheers for the positive feedback.

Gonna sleep over it to decide if I'm gonna pull the trigger.

The VF-0D is a definite, as would a grey repaint of it and the VF-0A. But still deciding on this one.

6 hours ago, Raikkonen said:

Hi,

The HMR is somehow more resistant to yellowing compared to their DX Chogokins, fortunately or unfortunately. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Also the written review:

https://anymoon.com/blog/?p=16731#more-16731

Always great to see new content on @jenius's blog. :good:

Edit: In reading the review, and also viewing the transformation video, it is mentioned the nosecone in Fighter have a tendency to be loose around the area where it meets the heatshield. My own experience is that on my copies, those areas are pretty much rock solid. Conversely, the point where the heatshield meets the chest feels even tighter here than on Arcadia's 1/60.

Edited by MKT