HMR Macross Zero VF-0S Phoenix

jvmacross

22 hours ago, MKT said:

I can understand the sentiment of how looks cheap it looks, and it will be initially bolstered somewhat when taking it out of the packaging because of how light it feels relative to its size. This is especially when compared to the non-transforming mecha in the rest of HMR line. We do not have to look across at other HMR IPs, but in the Destroids line itself and the differences in heft is just night and day. But once you handle it with more time & transform this VF-0S, your opinions might change as it did mine because of other factors.

Today I transformed it to Fighter, and just.. wow! The fit and tolerances are just phenomenal, everything lines up and tabs up perfectly, there's minimal gaps as can be expected, and there's NO freeplay anywhere. I daresay it surpasses the Arcadia VF-0 mold in this regard, which does have one or two loose areas, and definitely any of Bandai's own current Chogokin releases (looking at you 31AX!).

This qualitative aspect is hard to convey, the best I can explain is that it has the more toy-like plastic flex of a typical Bandai Chogokin in Battroid, but the fit and tolerances of the best of Arcadia molds (VF-1!) in Fighter. This is quite an achievement at this small 1/100 scale.

As mentioned before, despite the weight the plastics are strong, and the grey parts within the chest and neck although looking very thin appear to be made of POM. This is similar to what Yamato used for their old 1/15 Motoslaves, which has fair bit of small plastic parts, but because of POM material they don't feel fragile and till today haven't heard of any much breakage issues.

It is also a pleasant surprise to find that unlike the HMR VF-1, the missiles can be individually separated from the tree (I know @Angesdad posted a pic earlier of them being worked on individually, it just didn't hit me then). Again, as testament to the tolerances, the missiles fit beautifully to their trees and the trees to the wing mounting slots.

1921876993_HMRVF-0SFighterNRM2nt.JPG.13262ee15408eeef3863a77692c3c2b3.JPG

412836773_HMRVF-0SFighterfrontNRM2nt.JPG.423e39306447d2da3577afceaba1fc29.JPG

All the more disappointing.  If they had been so tireless in perfecting the fit and tolerances, then why not the finish?  Again, I suspect it has something to do with the supply chain problems post pandemic, as well as Bandai's apparent shift to digital entertainment (where presumably the focus on toy production will wane over time, but let's just hope that's a Grimm's fairytale that never comes true).  It is sad that with something so well built, they could not have put in the little extra bit of effort to make a beautiful finish.  Alas, it is not to be.  But here's to hoping that a DX VF-0D comes out with that careful (obsessive) attention to detail that they're so famous for.

17 hours ago, MacrossMania said:

All the more disappointing.  If they had been so tireless in perfecting the fit and tolerances, then why not the finish?  Again, I suspect it has something to do with the supply chain problems post pandemic, as well as Bandai's apparent shift to digital entertainment (where presumably the focus on toy production will wane over time, but let's just hope that's a Grimm's fairytale that never comes true).  It is sad that with something so well built, they could not have put in the little extra bit of effort to make a beautiful finish.  Alas, it is not to be.  But here's to hoping that a DX VF-0D comes out with that careful (obsessive) attention to detail that they're so famous for.

Bandai always cuts corners somewhere, even on their more premium lines.

On 11/23/2022 at 6:27 PM, Lolicon said:

At the $160 overseas price, this thing is nearly as expensive as a DX VF-1. To say that it's nowhere near the same level of quality as the DX is an understatement.

So yeah, overpriced indeed.

Not trying to start anything and I could be wrong, but I seem to recall you telling me several years ago that if I was able to afford the Yamato/Arcadia, then I cannot call it overpriced. I think I was comparing Bandai vs Yamato/Arcadia prices back then, and I was complaining about the Yamato/Arcadia being overpriced.

Anyway, it's all water under the bridge but hearing you bring up overpricing did bring up that memory.

I do agree that $160 for HMR VF-0S is way overpriced. Good thing I didn't have to pay nearly that much for mine.

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, sh9000 said:

62DA8E91-7C53-49A1-89DA-4A9AD3F7065C.jpeg.b345874fa03600dfe56a39602820526f.jpeg

This was posed at work in a rush.  I'm going to do another version though.  The arm on the right can be pushed back a little and the leg on the right can be bent more correctly at the knee and thigh joints.

for the size of the toy, it just looks damn good.  I have noticed, and maybe I am getting delusional in my old age, that the feel and look of this VF-0S Bandai Hi-Metal R is just superior to previous Hi-Metal R toys that I have( I have a VF-2SS Nexx, VT-1 Super Ostrich and VF-4G Roy homage ver.)  On getting the VF-0S, I just felt like this was a step above those other toys.  Dont get me wrong, I love the other Hi-Metal R Macross jets that I have, but the VF-0S feel superior to me.

Twich

11 hours ago, twich said:

for the size of the toy, it just looks damn good.  I have noticed, and maybe I am getting delusional in my old age, that the feel and look of this VF-0S Bandai Hi-Metal R is just superior to previous Hi-Metal R toys that I have( I have a VF-2SS Nexx, VT-1 Super Ostrich and VF-4G Roy homage ver.)  On getting the VF-0S, I just felt like this was a step above those other toys.  Dont get me wrong, I love the other Hi-Metal R Macross jets that I have, but the VF-0S feel superior to me.

Twich

I won't be the first to say this nor the last, but grab the HMR destroids and enemy mechs. Just do it. I love the VF HMRs, but they all pale besides the destroids and enemies. 

7 hours ago, vladykins said:

I won't be the first to say this nor the last, but grab the HMR destroids and enemy mechs. Just do it. I love the VF HMRs, but they all pale besides the destroids and enemies. 

Agree with this. I have the destroids and regults - they are awesome. Don't have the Glaug ....

7 hours ago, vladykins said:

That's because they don't do enemy mechs in 1/60 , or 1/48  :p

I would enjoy having the enemy mecha along with destroids, but the results that I have found are redonkulous in price. If I am paying that much, might as well get a 1/60 Arcadia or Bandai DX Chogokin. I hope that these might get a rerelease or something so that it will get easier to acquire.

Twich

On 12/19/2022 at 10:55 PM, twich said:

I would enjoy having the enemy mecha along with destroids, but the results that I have found are redonkulous in price. If I am paying that much, might as well get a 1/60 Arcadia or Bandai DX Chogokin. I hope that these might get a rerelease or something so that it will get easier to acquire.

Twich

If you keep an eye out, you can get the HMR Defender or Spartan for $80-100. The Monster is going to set you back typically at least $200-250 if you keep an eye out, but you will *not* be disappointed. It is HUGE, it is solid, and it is a lot of fun. 

On 12/19/2022 at 12:17 AM, twich said:

Twich

The VF-0S is nice and I love all HMR releases.

3733D6A9-218A-4D69-A847-21B8F1D11705.jpeg.f79454a16f911b87c6ec3f1217917316.jpeg

Merry Christmas to all the people I've had a positive encounter with on this forum or in person @Shawn @nightmareB4macross @jvmacross @Slave IV @Bolt @Thom @Golden Arms @PROVOST @ChristopherB @Anasazi37 @ArchieNov @spanner @Operator7G @ScrambledValkyrie @Convectuoso @mikeszekely @M'Kyuun @arcoregon @Ignacio Ocamica @chyll2@apptt4 @wmkjr @derex3592 and anybody else I've left out.

Edited by sh9000

1 hour ago, sh9000 said:

Merry Christmas to all the people I've had a positive encounter with on this forum or in person @Shawn @nightmareB4macross @jvmacross @Slave IV @Bolt @Thom @Big s @Golden Arms @PROVOST @ChristopherB @Anasazi37 @ArchieNov @spanner @Operator7G @ScrambledValkyrie @Convectuoso @mikeszekely @M'Kyuun @arcoregon @Ignacio Ocamica @chyll2@apptt4 @wmkjr @derex3592 and anybody else I've left out.

Thanks! Merry Christmas!

Merry Christmas to me, from Bandai I suppose.  Opened up my VF-0 from Mandarake and the head just kind of... fell off... which I found strange.  I noticed that it doesn't really fit right into the top of the chest plate, and yup, after looking at some other pictures, I seem to be missing an entire part of the neck.

I'm going to reach out to Mandarake.  I've ordered a lot from them before, but never had to return anything. Am I completely hosed here?  Has any one had any luck with returns/exchanges with them?  This particular item was marked as unopened and box damaged.  If I had to guess, this might be a QC reject from Bandai, but given their recent QC, it might just but one that slipped through.

IMG_20221225_112358.jpg

IMG_20221225_112339.jpg

46 minutes ago, HardlyNever said:

Merry Christmas to me, from Bandai I suppose.  Opened up my VF-0 from Mandarake and the head just kind of... fell off... which I found strange.  I noticed that it doesn't really fit right into the top of the chest plate, and yup, after looking at some other pictures, I seem to be missing an entire part of the neck.

I'm going to reach out to Mandarake.  I've ordered a lot from them before, but never had to return anything. Am I completely hosed here?  Has any one had any luck with returns/exchanges with them?  This particular item was marked as unopened and box damaged.  If I had to guess, this might be a QC reject from Bandai, but given their recent QC, it might just but one that slipped through.

IMG_20221225_112358.jpg

IMG_20221225_112339.jpg

I’m not near my copy now, but from memory, the part circled in red just needs to snap into the hole at the neck plate.

The circled part is the neck adapter that can be removed from the stem by just sliding it out. Snap that adapter into the neck plate, & then slide the head back in to the adapter.

The stem is what allows the head to have some telescopic articulation. It’s just that when you sometimes try to pull the head up, the adapter may detach from the neck plate instead.

9020D974-78BB-4856-9497-4FE01020A83B.jpeg.7735744d249212a7c2f87333662d099b.jpeg

5 hours ago, sh9000 said:

Merry Christmas to all the people I've had a positive encounter with on this forum or in person @Shawn @nightmareB4macross @jvmacross @Slave IV @Bolt @Thom @Big s @Golden Arms @PROVOST @ChristopherB @Anasazi37 @ArchieNov @spanner @Operator7G @ScrambledValkyrie @Convectuoso @mikeszekely @M'Kyuun @arcoregon @Ignacio Ocamica @chyll2@apptt4 @wmkjr @derex3592 and anybody else I've left out.

Merry Christmas to you too!!! And all MW members!!!

1 hour ago, MKT said:

I’m not near my copy now, but from memory, the part circled in red just needs to snap into the hole at the neck plate.

The circled part is the neck adapter that can be removed from the stem by just sliding it out. Snap that adapter into the neck plate, & then slide the head back in to the adapter.

The stem is what allows the head to have some telescopic articulation. It’s just that when you sometimes try to pull the head up, the adapter may detach from the neck plate instead.

9020D974-78BB-4856-9497-4FE01020A83B.jpeg.7735744d249212a7c2f87333662d099b.jpeg

Ah, I see now.  The neck part was just jammed up way too far into the head.  That was actually my first instinct, but I was pulling on the peg part and nothing was moving, so I figured I was missing a piece.  I just needed to pull on the bulky neck part (it still took an unreasonable amount of force, but it came out).  The way it was packaged, the chin was preventing the neck from snapping all the way into the chest plate part.

Thanks for the help, I've got it working now!

7 hours ago, sh9000 said:

Merry Christmas!

Looking forward to more of your cool pics in 2023!

:friends:

7 hours ago, sh9000 said:

CHEERS :drinks:

8 hours ago, sh9000 said:

Merry Christmas to you as well! I always enjoy reading your posts. :drinks:

On 12/25/2022 at 5:30 AM, sh9000 said:

Somewhat belated, but I hope you and yours had a great Christmas and that the new year brings promise of good things ahead. My Christmas was great, and your sentiment much appreciated.

To all my fellow Macross Worlders, I hope your Christmas season is safe, warm, and wonderful, and as I wished for Sh9000, so too do I wish for everyone as 2023 approaches. May it be another great year for toys and those of us who love 'em, collect 'em and share our joy of them here and elsewhere on the interwebs.

Edited by M'Kyuun

On 12/25/2022 at 5:30 AM, sh9000 said:

Just seeing this so a bit late but Merry Christmas and happy holidays to the whole MW crew!

On 12/25/2022 at 5:53 AM, Thom said:

Have a Merry Christmas @sh9000!

This is about the greatest Christmas special I ever seen! I’m considering it canon. 😄