PREY - Hulu original movie from 20th Century Studios

sh9000

34 minutes ago, sqidd said:

It's a Disney movie. They will destroy it like everything else they touch.

Heh. I'm no fan of Disney (never been to any of their parks), but I'm not that down on them yet to damn everything they are connected to by association. :unknw: 

Sure, 20th Century Studios is now a Disney subsidiary but I think it remains to be seen how much the suits will mess with this one. Could they meddle with the production like they do with a number of the recent Star Wars releases? I think that is a possibility, but if they were going to mess with things that much, why put it on Hulu and not Disney+? 

Part of me is surprised that this property even survived the FOX-to-Disney transition. It's like the old Netflix Marvel shows, in a way. We all assumed those were toast too, but Daredevil is coming back to Disney+. Anyway, I don't have an axe to grind on this subject. 

As far as Disney, they are a bit hit and miss. When they hit they hit hard and when they miss they miss by a mile.

as far as what they have on Hulu, definitely check out Hit Monkey, that’s one of the ones that lands a hit. Modok, not so much. To me Prey could go either way at this point , but with the lack of modern tech at least it won’t get bogged down by pseudo science as much as the sequel films did.

On 6/15/2022 at 9:03 PM, Big s said:

at least it won’t get bogged down by pseudo science as much as the sequel films did.

Hopefully they stick to the Predator being an honourable hunter coming to test himself against the most dangerous prey. Rather than making him into an honourless, tasteless gene-editing twat like in "The Predator".

And they should also remember that the Predator is an alien character in the story, not just some horror movie monster.

• 1 month later...

I mean if it's a Hulu exclusive, and I'm already signed up for the service, it's not a big deal to watch it and check it out....it's either gonna be okay, or just really stupid. I highly doubt it's gonna be as awesome as what I remember with the first two films. 

51 minutes ago, Hikuro said:

I mean if it's a Hulu exclusive, and I'm already signed up for the service, it's not a big deal to watch it and check it out....it's either gonna be okay, or just really stupid. I highly doubt it's gonna be as awesome as what I remember with the first two films. 

I feel the same. At least it won’t be a loss of cash at the theater if it sucks. It’s also just a movie so it’s not like a waste of time series like obi wan

• 2 weeks later...

Really surprised that the RT score on this thing thus far is at 91-92% which is shocking as the original sits at 80%, and I still like that film, Predator 2 the worst of the franchise apparently at 30% which doesn't surprise me at all, it's not a good film at all and was from a time in the 90's where doing a scifi monster film were to be cheap and fast, Predators 65%, it never really interested me, I felt it was a boring film truthfully. and finally The Predator at 33% which for me was the worst film that made absolutely zero sense and felt like it was just done so it could be done. 

So I'm really curious on watching this movie now and how for me it stacks up. 

12 hours ago, Hikuro said:

Really surprised that the RT score on this thing thus far is at 91-92% which is shocking as the original sits at 80%, and I still like that film, Predator 2 the worst of the franchise apparently at 30% which doesn't surprise me at all, it's not a good film at all and was from a time in the 90's where doing a scifi monster film were to be cheap and fast, Predators 65%, it never really interested me, I felt it was a boring film truthfully. and finally The Predator at 33% which for me was the worst film that made absolutely zero sense and felt like it was just done so it could be done. 

So I'm really curious on watching this movie now and how for me it stacks up. 

I'll have to disagree with that! I think Predator2 was fun for its time. The worst was the AVP films.

The AVP franchise had so much potential, two of the greatest movie monsters in cinema history battling, seemed a no-brainer. And yet both AVP films were crap, each in their own special way. My main issue is having those films take place in the modern day, jump into the future, AVP needs to take place in the time of the Colonial Marines.

I watched Prey last night and really enjoyed it! Easily my favorite Predator film since the first, not a high bar, my previous favorite beside the original was Predators with Adrien Brody, but it was a solid entry in the franchise. The Predator itself looked good, pretty damn brutal, there was some questionable CG with some animals and a few other scenes, but overall it was really good.

I watched it with the Comanche dub on, things didn't line up perfectly of course, but it was still pretty cool and definitely upped the immersion factor. Lots of good action, and IMO, a really good new heroine. The film doesn't overemphasize or conflate how badass she is, she doesn't put down the men in her tribe and the film doesn't go out of its way to make every man she comes across incompetent or a psycho rapist, she was capable, all the men in her tribe were capable, the film shows how her strength was her clever thinking. One thing I really liked that I didn't expect was...

Spoiler

When the french pop up there's no subtitles, when they start speaking and when you first see them it's as alien to the viewer as it would've been for the Comanche. I thought that was a nice touch, you don't need to know what they're saying, it's not relevant, they're hunters and trappers, and unfortunately for them they've come across, and naively assumed, this new creature they've come across is something they can actually successfully hunt. 

It was a solid film, like someone mentioned above it checked all the boxes, it was far more intelligent and better written then any other film in the franchise since the OG with Arnold. 

Finished my first viewing about an hour ago, the advertising hype around this is spot on, easily the best Predator movie since, Predator. I'd actually really love a 4K release of this.

Agreed with @Tking22 comments around the CG and what's in the spoiler tag.

1 Predator

1a Prey

2 Predators

3 Predator 2 (hated this move years ago, but it's grown on me and I appreciate how it expanded the mythos in the final act)

4 The Predator (because it has to be included on the list)

Just like Predator I can see myself easily deciding to watch Prey on a slow day when I want something good to re-watch.

-b.

8 hours ago, Tking22 said:

I watched it with the Comanche dub on, things didn't line up perfectly of course

Audio sync issues aside, Comanche and English are very different languages.  Having been written in English, translated into Comanche and then translated back into English for the subtitles (!), the dialogue frequently didn't make sense.  Characters express non-sequiturs, react to information that wasn't expressed in Comanche, and laugh at jokes that don't make sense.  It's a surprisingly poor translation.

If you want to watch the Comanche dub, I'd advise using the closed-captioned script from the English version.

Just finished it and really liked it. Definitely a worthy addition after the original.  A couple things though….

Spoiler

Personally I didn’t care for the new look to the predators face. The mask and gear are cool but they updated the actual face and it was a bit more “monstery” now but ithat’s a minor personal thing. The main thing I maybe missed so I didn’t understand is why the Predator was so dumb… as in it didn’t seem to understand how it’s own gun worked which ultimately  lead to it’s own defeat. 

Edited by Dobber

Wait there was a Comache dub? I was just thinking, "Damn if you want some authenticity with this kind of movie, you need to have all these native american's speak in whatever language their people represent!" I didn't expect that to happen, so that's pretty cool!  I liked it, I REALLY REALLY liked it and I didn't expect that. I was even cheering in that final battle and I normally don't do that unless something really stinking different happens and I don't wanna spoil that, but what I didn't expect to happen, happened. 

6 hours ago, tekering said:

If you want to watch the Comanche dub, I'd advise using the closed-captioned script from the English version.

Yeah I switched to the English CC about 10 minutes in, things were definitely rough. Same exact situation with Squid Game on Netflix, the English translation was awful, English CC was the only way to go.

5 hours ago, Dobber said:

Hide contents

Personally I didn’t care for the new look to the predators face. The mask and gear are cool but they updated the actual face and it was a bit more “monstery” now but ithat’s a minor personal thing. The main thing I maybe missed so I didn’t understand is why the Predator was so dumb… as in it didn’t seem to understand how it’s own gun worked which ultimately  lead to it’s own defeat. 

Spoiler

I don't think it saw her grab the helmet after she shot it, maybe it thought the helmet was out of range of the tracking shot function. He did take the time to watch it fly around before it was too late, I don't remember exactly but I believe he was still stuck in the mud too.

5 hours ago, Tking22 said:

Yeah I switched to the English CC about 10 minutes in, things were definitely rough. Same exact situation with Squid Game on Netflix, the English translation was awful, English CC was the only way to go.

Hide contents

I don't think it saw her grab the helmet after she shot it, maybe it thought the helmet was out of range of the tracking shot function. He did take the time to watch it fly around before it was too late, I don't remember exactly but I believe he was still stuck in the mud too.

Spoiler

I understood that, but the first time he tried it, when trying to shoot her brother, he should’ve known it wouldn’t work. If he didn’t the he should’ve at the end which made it more of a head scratcher to me. 

Still loved the movie, and hope the hint at the end of the credit art sequence means we will get a sequel.

Chris

Edited by Dobber

Just got done watching and finally we get a good addition to the franchise. The original is still the best, but this is a really good movie and probably my second favorite in the muddy franchise. I do like predators and predator 2 though, but this one is definitely in a different class than those.

So, I'm left with a few questions after watching this film. 1) The pistol in the film is indeed the very pistol bestowed upon Glover at the end of the second film; how do the Predator's get ahold of it?  2) Billy in the first film is "Spooked" and obviously has a Native background, is it Comanchee so he's heard tales passed down at Tribal gatherings or family history?  Did he in essence have a vague ideal of what they were facing, which is why he stops at the "tree-bridge" and meets his end?  Other than learning the "cycle-chain" in an incredibly short time, the film was a suprising welcome!

15 minutes ago, Wolf-1 said:

So, I'm left with a few questions after watching this film. 1) The pistol in the film is indeed the very pistol bestowed upon Glover at the end of the second film; how do the Predator's get ahold of it?  2) Billy in the first film is "Spooked" and obviously has a Native background, is it Comanchee so he's heard tales passed down at Tribal gatherings or family history?  Did he in essence have a vague ideal of what they were facing, which is why he stops at the "tree-bridge" and meets his end?  Other than learning the "cycle-chain" in an incredibly short time, the film was a suprising welcome!

Spoiler

As far as the pistol, if you watch the end credits with the drawings it looks like the ship returns. I don’t know if that means a sequel or just answering stuff in an obscure way

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
30 minutes ago, Black Valkyrie said:

Either a new story or reimagining Machiko in that setting.
Maybe Machiko as a liaison to Dajima or Dutch colony, like before Bakufu they do have more open ports (one of them being Shimabara, where lord use the export wealth to abuse his power that led to the titular rebellion) and delegation were sent to Spanish and Dutch outposts.

Edited by roboemo

33 minutes ago, Black Valkyrie said:

Great news! And very unexpected! I wasn't sure how well received PREY was. And considering the installment before this bombed so badly, it was a miracle THIS movie was made. 

8 minutes ago, roboemo said:

Either a new story or reimagining Machiko in that setting.
Maybe Machiko as a liaison to Dajima or Dutch colony, like before Bakufu they do have more open ports and delegation were sent to Spanish and Dutch outposts.

I think Machiko is fine where she is. She had lots of action in the comics. Hers was a story about the future of humans and Predators. I would hope for some originality. So whoever goes up against a predator in feudal Japan, is going to need Samurai AND Ninja skills.

1 hour ago, Bolt said:

Great news! And very unexpected! I wasn't sure how well received PREY was. And considering the installment before this bombed so badly, it was a miracle THIS movie was made. 

I think Machiko is fine where she is. She had lots of action in the comics. Hers was a story about the future of humans and Predators. I would hope for some originality. So whoever goes up against a predator in feudal Japan, is going to need Samurai AND Ninja skills.

Even if the comic was popular, they might change it for “compromise”. Just look at Star Wars sequel trilogy to supplant Star Wars EU.

OR just a reference nod with her ancestor if they were merciful.

Other than that, maybe Musket wielding foot soldiers. I know they did diddly against predator but western made Samurai sure needs gunpowder (Total War doesn’t count).

1 hour ago, roboemo said:

Even if the comic was popular, they might change it for “compromise”. Just look at Star Wars sequel trilogy to supplant Star Wars EU.

SW is a perfect example of what happens when you completely throw out all the old stories and rewrite new stuff over it. It loses its way. I'm not saying fresh ideas are bad. I'm saying crapping all over the fan base is.  

OR just a reference nod with her ancestor if they were merciful.

A nod to her ancestry would be cool. 

Other than that, maybe Musket wielding foot soldiers. I know they did diddly against predator but western made Samurai sure needs gunpowder (Total War doesn’t count).

I think most Yautja clans are honorable and sporting enough to fight only with bladed weapons against foes with blades and bows. (I'm not talking about swarms of Xenomorphs!)  And , as you may recall, a Katana wielding Yakuza did kill the Falconer predator one on one. The Falconer threw aside his energy weapons. 

I thought Prey was a very well realized expansion on the Predator franchise. More to the point, it capitalized on Maria's story to Dutch and Co of a long history of these things hunting her ancestors during the hottest years. As such, it makes complete sense that they would have done their hunting all over the planet throughout human history. Given our long history of brutality, violence, and warfare, we are a perfect target for a species looking for sport that fights back. I hope the next installment is at least as good as Prey, and that they continue pitting the Predator against other notable war faring folks like the Vikings, the Spartans, the Huns, the Persians, the Incans, etc. And while the Predator will always have the technological advantage over ancient humans, I think it would be more compelling to see them rely less on their tech and more on tactics and brute strength to subdue ancient men and women fighting with much more primitive weapons.

Done well, they could continue the franchise for years in this vein. I'm good with that.

20 hours ago, M'Kyuun said:

I thought Prey was a very well realized expansion on the Predator franchise. More to the point, it capitalized on Maria's story to Dutch and Co of a long history of these things hunting her ancestors during the hottest years. As such, it makes complete sense that they would have done their hunting all over the planet throughout human history. Given our long history of brutality, violence, and warfare, we are a perfect target for a species looking for sport that fights back. I hope the next installment is at least as good as Prey, and that they continue pitting the Predator against other notable war faring folks like the Vikings, the Spartans, the Huns, the Persians, the Incans, etc. And while the Predator will always have the technological advantage over ancient humans, I think it would be more compelling to see them rely less on their tech and more on tactics and brute strength to subdue ancient men and women fighting with much more primitive weapons.

Done well, they could continue the franchise for years in this vein. I'm good with that.

I guess you could have a stand alone movie every year or two taking place in a different ancient cultural society. Since the tech would be barely used it wouldn’t be that expensive either.

3 hours ago, Chunky001 said:

From what I understand because period costumes/clothing are REALLY expensive period pieces are generally very expensive to make.

Costumes, custom weaponry to match the period, rights to shoot at fitting locations, chariots, horses, etc all add up to eat their share of the budget. Using lesser-known actors spares the budget the chunk that well-known actors command, as well. But if the story is good, the actors competent, and the director has a solid vision, I think taking the Predator through various timelines to face off against humans at various stages of technological and social development is a good formula to keep it relevant and interesting, especially if they vary the Predators' approaches to hunting the particular prey at hand. Heck, it'd be interesting to see a Predator hunting Neanderthals, who were more robust than modern humans physically, and potentially smarter given their large cranial capacities.

6 hours ago, Chunky001 said:

From what I understand because period costumes/clothing are REALLY expensive period pieces are generally very expensive to make.

They can be expensive to make, but budget projects often reuse older costumes from previous films and tv shows that the studio owns. As long as they stay away from royalty, the costumes could end up very affordable to almost free.