PREY - Hulu original movie from 20th Century Studios

sh9000

Truthfully the whole thing seems......bad. I want it to be good, but I feel like it's not going too. I might be out of line, but lately a lot of these movies are having heroine type characters who seem out of place or wanna "Be with the boys" and it's written so badly. Now don't get me wrong, I felt Ripley was a great archetype but that was because she had already encountered an ALIEN. Here, we've got some native american girl who wants to be a warrior and now she's gonna prove herself by taking on a Predator? ......I dunno, I just dunno. I'm hoping for the best, but seeing how the franchise has been since the 90's, I just doubt it. 

1 hour ago, Hikuro said:

Truthfully the whole thing seems......bad. I want it to be good, but I feel like it's not going too. I might be out of line, but lately a lot of these movies are having heroine type characters who seem out of place or wanna "Be with the boys" and it's written so badly. Now don't get me wrong, I felt Ripley was a great archetype but that was because she had already encountered an ALIEN. Here, we've got some native american girl who wants to be a warrior and now she's gonna prove herself by taking on a Predator? ......I dunno, I just dunno. I'm hoping for the best, but seeing how the franchise has been since the 90's, I just doubt it. 

I kinda think this idea might work. Most of the hunters would probably get killed since a primary reaction would be to immediately use weapons, she might survive the primary attacks and learn a few things from observing how the predator hunts. Then again it could just be another crappy predator movie 

On 6/11/2022 at 4:47 AM, Hikuro said:

I agree with you but i think you are being even too kind(of course it's just a trailer so let's wait and see...). I think what a Predator movie needs is a great antagonist that really feels like can take down the alien both with his body and with his mind. And that's the reason why the first two movies work(the first one better than the second). Besides, Dutch was a former Macv sog, so if there was somebody who could take down a predator it was him. 

Also,according to my knowledge of the native indians culture they seemed to be good hunters but they were weapons were very rudimentary, nothing that could hurt a creature like a predator. Correct if i am wrong here. my knowledge of the topic is really shallow.

6 minutes ago, Robin-11 said:

I agree with you but i think you are being even too kind(of course it's just a trailer so let's wait and see...). I think what a Predator movie needs is a great antagonist that really feels like can take down the alien both with his body and with his mind. And that's the reason why the first two movies work(the first one better than the second). Besides, Dutch was a former Macv sog, so if there was somebody who could take down a predator it was him. 

Also,according to my knowledge of the native indians culture they seemed to be good hunters but they were weapons were very rudimentary, nothing that could hurt a creature like a predator. Correct if i am wrong here. my knowledge of the topic is really shallow.

As far as hurting a predator, it’s not like their whole body is armored. They usually had a helmet an arm guard and sometimes one shoulder might have a bit of coverage. 

I’m confused and/or forgetful. Wasn’t like 90% or Dutch’s plan to kill the predator based on technologies that NAs would have had access to?  The trailer even clearly indicates that they would have had access to scavenged guns/gunpowder. 

20 minutes ago, hutch said:

I’m confused and/or forgetful. Wasn’t like 90% or Dutch’s plan to kill the predator based on technologies that NAs would have had access to?  The trailer even clearly indicates that they would have had access to scavenged guns/gunpowder. 

That's a ctually my point. To my knowledge the answer would be No. At all. NA were not using traps to hunt(or at least not very sofisticated) and did not develope that kind of technology . Their warfare technology was very primitive and would be completely useless against a predator. At the contrary Dutch after spending several years behind the enemy lines in the jungle was probably able to conquer the perfect knowledge in order to beat the predator. But then again my knowledge on the subiject is superficial so i might be wrong. Plus, we  saw just a couple of trailers so things might be quite different from what we are expecting.

In any case i think that direction that they are going so far(little girl who hunts down and kills a predator) doesn't make sense at all and those trailers look like a parody to me. Hope i m wrong though.

2 hours ago, Big s said:

As far as hurting a predator, it’s not like their whole body is armored. They usually had a helmet an arm guard and sometimes one shoulder might have a bit of coverage. 

I laways thought that armors on the predators were not that relevant. I think their skins must be extremely thick and can barely be pierced by present firearms(i think in the first movie he was wounded by a 5.56 cal, from what i remember) I would be really surprised if now predators can be killed by weapons made out of rocks(to my knowledge most of the weapons NA used were built with rocks and did not have any blades. Again, i might be wrong though). Maybe they will throw in some shaman powers in order to track down and weaken the predator? That would be kind of cool.

38 minutes ago, Robin-11 said:

I laways thought that armors on the predators were not that relevant. I think their skins must be extremely thick and can barely be pierced by present firearms(i think in the first movie he was wounded by a 5.56 cal, from what i remember) I would be really surprised if now predators can be killed by weapons made out of rocks(to my knowledge most of the weapons NA used were built with rocks and did not have any blades. Again, i might be wrong though). Maybe they will throw in some shaman powers in order to track down and weaken the predator? That would be kind of cool.

They definitely had blades, mostly using sharpened stone. They were able to carve up bison and skin them with ease with those tools. From what I understand, in some areas they hunted gators. And I don’t think predator skin was that tough some tribes also worked with metal, but not to the extent that the people further south in Mexico and below did. They also set traps in many cases.

This looks far, far, far more interesting then every Predator sequel since the second movie, I'm pretty excited. I read there's a Comanche dub, but the movie was filmed in English so I'm not too sure how that will look, I may just stick with English if it looks too off-putting with the Comanche track. 

I like it. And we believe VA's would have sharp enough weapons to slice and impale a predator up pretty good. But more than that, we've seen predators killed by their own weapons plenty of times. That's what I'm betting on. And I'm sure she figures out the clay trick to be invisible. 

1 hour ago, sqidd said:

Lol. Hilarious 😆 I mostly agree with all that.

1 hour ago, sqidd said:

She's not going to beat the Predator. She's going to team up with it.;)

That would be an interesting twist. And could be fun.  

1 minute ago, Dobber said:

Not much of a twist since AvP already did that too. 

Also Batman v Superman.....and Godzilla vs Kong.

I don't see them not having her team up with the Predator vs the colonizers. All sorts of message points there.

1 hour ago, TangledThorns said:

This onscreen Yautja seems different... wouldn't surprise me if it's female. 

Reveal hidden contents

But I'm not a biologist, lol!

Who are you to judge?

See what I did there?:D

Alrighty then... <_<

I'm actually quite curious about the new Predator. I'm not bothered about it being female or just a younger Yautja than what we have seen in Predator and Predator 2. What I find more interesting is the brief set up from the trailer. There's the storm in the sky and I'm not sure what that is, but it seems safe to guess at that as being indicative of some accident that causes this Predator's ship to crash?

If this Yautja is then in survival mode waiting for a rescue ship and chooses to ally itself with the natives, that could be a very interesting plot device given the other stuff that was revealed. I'm just not sure if the creative team would turn the usual Predator story on its head that much. I would love to be surprised, though, because I think it would be cool if they did.

9 hours ago, sqidd said:

I don't see them not having her team up with the Predator vs the colonizers. All sorts of message points there.

That is like a human hunter teaming up with a springbok to fight cheetahs. Utterly nonsensical.

If he's worried about his diverse hunting experience being ruined by the encroachment of game from another area, he is quite capable of handling the situation without assistance from his prey.

Edited by Podtastic

2 minutes ago, Podtastic said:

he is quite capable of handling the situation without assistance from his prey.

No, you've got it backwards.  The natives aren't helping the Predator fight the colonizers; the Predator is protecting the natives from the colonizers.

All sorts of message points there. 😅

23 minutes ago, Podtastic said:

That is like a human hunter teaming up with a springbok to fight cheetahs. Utterly nonsensical.

That actually sounds entertaining.

Anyway this prey movie is a free watch, so I’ll give it a try

4 hours ago, Podtastic said:

4 hours ago, Podtastic said:

But the only rational and in character reason for him to do that is the reason I have given.

Ever seen a Pitch Meting? Since when does making sense have anything to do with movie making?:rofl:

1 hour ago, technoblue said:

I mean, if it sucks it sucks but it's also fair to give it a chance. That's what I'm doing.

It's a Disney movie. They will destroy it like everything else they touch.