1/72 F203 Dragon II Kit Proposal --Moscato Hobby

captain america

Hey everyone. I was contemplating my next build project, and I’d like to propose for your consideration, the production of a 1/72 F203 Dragon II kit. That I’m aware of, the only other time this kit was offered was by Tanmen, many, many years ago, and if you look at his Cat’s Eye rendition next to mine, I think it’s safe to say that mine was an improvement.

As such, I’d like to create a modernized version, with the following details:
-arresting hook (for carrier operations)
-starboard side mid air refuelling probe
-separate wing flaps
-optional open or closed air brake
-clear canopy, either vac-formed, or clear cast
-clean configuration or optional landing gear deployed

Projected price for the first 30: $195 Canadian dollars + shipping

I’d need at least 30 orders to make this happen, so who wants in?

DRAGUNN II.png

YES

Put me down for one kit.

Edited by slide

8 minutes ago, Sildani said:

Was this thing VTOL, explaining the louvers under the intake trunks?

From Macross Chronicle:

Dragon II
The main fighter that was used by the Unified Forces before the First Interstellar War.  The Dragon II boasted high-manoeuvrability using two-dimensional thrust vectoring and VTOL nozzles. It is equipped with a 30 mm Gatling gun.

The Macross Compendium goes even further:

Two-dimensional nozzles. Aft nozzles used with ventral fan exhaust nozzles for V/STOL and maneuverability.

Captain’s preliminary renderings: May 19, 2022.

I’ve begun laying down some Dragunn diagrams, trying to make sense of what I see in the line-art. For one, while it’s an interesting overall shape, the details weren’t terribly well thought-out: the 3 missiles on each wing are mounted where the wing chord itself is drastically reduced, and no apparent pylons are used, which would interfere with the motion of the flaps. Also, 6 missiles seems a bit inadequate for a modern fighter, so I’ll look into adding at least an additional hard point inboard of the sto-wing mechanism.

Also, it looks like they « kinda copied » the look of the F/A-18’s main gear, but decided to hinge them into the wing root… F%$#&*(@#(&?!!!! Seriously, do these « designers » even know how to think critically?? It’s fine. It’s fine. We’re all fine here, thank you. How are you?

On the up side, I may be able to give this thing some unusually good airbreaking capability, and that (mostly) flat upper fuselage is an ideal surface for fine panel lines and access hatches. If the drafting goes well, I may be able to start construction next week, so stay tuned!

dragun progress.jpg

Edited by captain america

Given the lack of reference material, I doubt anyone will take issue if you take some creative liberties with the design to make it more "realistic" as it was a pretty throwaway design when you think about it.  

I don't think anyone would balk at the idea of just using something like standard F-18 pylons under the wings, since those are designed specifically to avoid interference with the control surfaces.

I am curious what's going on with the spine between the engines on the underside, since it seems to dip lower at the back end.  Otherwise, I'd vote for making the profile as curvy as possible/practical, since the forward fuselage seems to have a very VF-4-ish curvature to it.

27 minutes ago, Knight26 said:

Given the lack of reference material, I doubt anyone will take issue if you take some creative liberties with the design to make it more "realistic" as it was a pretty throwaway design when you think about it.  

In a sense, it's precisely with these types of subjects that I can do some of my best work. With the Buster (Legioss) and the Kaa-T'Sai (Cat's eye) I pretty much threw everything out except the general shape, and made a whole new vehicle that's much more consistent with how aircraft actually work. I also tweaked the shape of the Dragunn a bit today: wingspan has been increased a tad, and the nose was altered to look more like that of the VF-1.

11 hours ago, captain america said:

(...) the 3 missiles on each wing are mounted where the wing chord itself is drastically reduced, and no apparent pylons are used, which would interfere with the motion of the flaps. (...)

In the designer's defence: it was a throw-away mecha designed for a few shots.

Nevertheless, it has 2D thrust vectoring.  So, it probably doesn't rely on wing flaps (I suspect those 'flaps' are more akin to lines that describe the wing shape then flaps per se).

That said, I say add mounting pylons for those missiles—along with an inner hardpoint: at the very least the fighter should have the option for drop tanks!

Also a thought on the gear, if you aren't attached to the F-18 style.  With a thick-enough wing root, you could probably pull off something roughly similar to the YF-21's gear, pulling back and slightly outboard of the engines at a slight angle, something like a more-vertical F-16 main gear.

A bent F-18 style strut might work, but I think it would need to rotate in the opposite direction to get out of the way of the underside thrust vents, extending back along the sides.  Obviously you don't have to make it actually retract, but designing a bay to match that sort of strut sounds like a mess.

5 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

Also a thought on the gear, if you aren't attached to the F-18 style.  With a thick-enough wing root, you could probably pull off something roughly similar to the YF-21's gear, pulling back and slightly outboard of the engines at a slight angle, something like a more-vertical F-16 main gear.

A bent F-18 style strut might work, but I think it would need to rotate in the opposite direction to get out of the way of the underside thrust vents, extending back along the sides.  Obviously you don't have to make it actually retract, but designing a bay to match that sort of strut sounds like a mess.

I was actually looking at the YF-21 main gear struts as being ideal. I'm officially putting out a call for anyone who has these pieces they'd be willing to part with, please PM me.

Captain’s log: Monday, May 23rd.

I start taking payments for the 1/72 F-203B Dragunn today, please read the instructions carefully before you send in your payments.

FOR THE FIRST 30 KITS ONLY

Kit price only: $195 CAD

(One) Kit W/shipping: $234 CAD*

(Two) kits W/shipping: $457 CAD*

*Prices apply to Canadian and US destinations only. For overseas customers, you may place your order with Return2KitForm.

**Please note that the kit price jumps to $210 CAD + shipping for the second run.**

Payment instructions

Paypal: please use the Friends & Family option when sending payents via Paypal from now on. I’ve been offering kits for almost 18 years: if I had wanted to defraud people, I would have done it by now! Please just put « DRAGUNN » in the message, nothing else. I will know the quantity of kit(s) in your order from the amount you send.

Also, please make sure that your full name, shipping address AND phone number are displayed in your Paypal info, otherwise send it to me via PM.

Bitcoin: I accept payment via this method as well. I will calculate the amount to send in BTC when you’re ready to make payment, and it should be about $10 cheaper overall compared to Paypal. For this method of payment, also PM me.

As I’m sure you’re already aware, the technical drawing for the kit has already begun, and barring any unforeseen events, I will start fabrication on Friday the 27th of May. Aaaand we’re off!

Very excited and ready to order!  This will complete my collection of (3) F-203 resin kit variants in 1/72 scale, unfortunately I haven't been able to get the 1/144 kit yet.  But the other two are in storage, so I'm looking forward to seeing this one built.

Quick question: could you design the landing gear in a “cartridge” form, so that extended landing gear could be slotted into place and replaced with closed doors as desired?

As for the missile load, some conformal missile pallets between the engines, F-14 style, might work well, or some MERs hanging under the wing. 

2 hours ago, Sildani said:

Quick question: could you design the landing gear in a “cartridge” form, so that extended landing gear could be slotted into place and replaced with closed doors as desired?

That's pricisely what I was thinking for the landing gear, since I know how frustrating it is to fiddle with little closed gear bay doors. It'll be as plug-&-play as I can make it for sturdiness' sake.

So glad to see you're taking this on John!  I'm sure it will be wonderful.  Might I add my 2 cents in its development, I would suggest you start with the standard valkyrie forward fuselage as the curves and details are already quite established and you can see that the designs all have a common forward fuselage like the VF-4 and VF-1.  The mid sections is obvious that K based it on the F-15, so take as many details from that real world aircraft as you can.  Designing aircraft is a very different beast than armor or other mechs so I would always steal as much from real aircraft as possible instead of making it up, the rear landing gears could just be a copy of the F-15 gears and in the same placement as the real aircraft as well and the forward gears just be the VF-1 forward gear or if you keep with the F-15 styling, the single wheeled gear from the F-15 too.  I wished I had time for resin kits nowadays... :(