Imai 1/72 VT-1 proto

Shawn

I had found a b&w pic of the Imai VT-1 prototype in an old Hobby Japan mag in the link below to the legacy unreleased section of the main site. Imai lost the Macross license and sold off their molds to Bandai just before its release.

Tonight while rummaging through some old Model Graphix magazines I ran across a color picture of it. It looks fantastic! It almost looks like it was transformable....but hard to tell..they really completely redid their molds for this one. Was in the Shizuoka 85 model show.

And to think we would have had some Takani box art to match. Someone mock it up for us in the old Imai box art style..use some Tenjin art. LOL

https://macrossworld.com/macross/unreleased/unreleased.htm

20220421_190535.jpg

Awesome find, I love this sort of hobby archeology. How many pieces do you think they would have had to retool to make this a reality. Forward fuselage halves, cockpit tub, new glazing, throw an extra pilot figure in the box. Not to mention the wings and packs. New head. New decals. 20 individual pieces pieces maybe. 25? 35? It would have cost them a small fortune. I want one!