Mass CG project ...

Aztek

Disregard.  There was a knock at the door.  It was life.

319370[/snapback]

Life? I think I heard of that.

Is there still going to be a poster (the original aim of this thread) or has everyone just drifted off into other things?

Like life perhaps? :lol:

319704[/snapback]

More like it's summer and computers don't mix well with sand and surf. ;)

That's blasphemy Dat.  Why don't you post some sweet a$$ renders instead of useless text?  Wait, that's what I just did. I'll fire off some renders tonite.

319348[/snapback]

Hey Az,

I would, but unfortunately, my sweet a$$ renders have not gotten any better since last I've posted. I need some new material...

But I'd love to see more of your stuff.

:Dat

Thanks guys, I have been very busy with work :( but every spare second I have I try to work on my models :p

Anyhow.. enough ranting... I am working on the details of my SDF-1 and its textures. TExtures are really very tricky. Maybe I wil be able to post soon.

Dok, even though your model is simple, it is a really nice composition...

nice work too Rod.

mac

here is the link:

Transformation movie

Comments and crits wellcome!

mac

322165[/snapback]

Well, I've tried this on 3 different computers now and I can't get this to play on any of them. Are you using a standard codec?

Carl

322900[/snapback]

You need the latest version of quicktime...

If you have windows, you can get it from here...

quicktime 7

or if you have a mac:

quicktime for mac

hope it helps,

mac

You need the latest version of quicktime...

If you have windows, you can get it from here...

quicktime 7

323139[/snapback]

Well the latest version of quicktime needs Windows 2000 or XP. I have Windows ME at home. I'll give this a shot a work on Monday. I think I have XP there.

Thanks,

Carl

Ok, after 2 weeks fighting Truespace's bugs, I managed to build the IK hierarchy of the leg, including muscles for the knee joint.

BTW, very nice render DOK, looks like a model kit box cover.

Here, the link for a shor animation I did last night.

www.geocities.com/soft154i/leg.html

Edited by The_WOZ

Ok, guys, have been experimenting with NEW trends... like the conventional SDF 1 model and other types of shaders. I can finally post a movie!!!  :p

here is the link:

Transformation movie

mac

322165[/snapback]

Okay. I got two crits I want to point out for you. and I know someone is going to say. "YOUR NIPICKING!"

Here it goes. The model is great! Love the Toon shading you done to the TV Series SDF-01. Now, the shoulder cannons during transformation seem to hit the two carriers. It could be timing or something got screwed up somewhere. Same with the Bridge area. If you look at it. It seems that head itself is going inside the left side of the main gun. Looks like the timing is off or something.

great model thought! Which 3d App did you use?

Ok, guys, have been experimenting with NEW trends... like the conventional SDF 1 model and other types of shaders. I can finally post a movie!!!  :p

here is the link:

Transformation movie

mac

322165[/snapback]

Okay. I got two crits I want to point out for you. and I know someone is going to say. "YOUR NIPICKING!"

Here it goes. The model is great! Love the Toon shading you done to the TV Series SDF-01. Now, the shoulder cannons during transformation seem to hit the two carriers. It could be timing or something got screwed up somewhere. Same with the Bridge area. If you look at it. It seems that head itself is going inside the left side of the main gun. Looks like the timing is off or something.

324338[/snapback]

hmmmmm it was about time *somebody* pointed that out. You are entirely correct.

I appreciate the critical eye!

I am working on the dimensions of the model. As probably dat, rod and aztek can tell you, if you follow the designs from the TV series or the movie to the letter, you'll find out that they aren't 3-d coherent. That is... things like you just observed start happening. I think that is specially evident in the valkyrie.

So.. what dat did is follow a toy blue print, but I want my model not to look toy-ish... hence I am experimenting...

I am modelling in 3ds max, as for the toon shader... it is done in Maya. the transformation you saw there it is with a very simple model. I have a rather complex sdf 1 model, but I wanted to see how it looked in a toon shader... so I gave it a try.

I'll post more pics/movies and see which one looks best... or rather.. not as awful! :p

Thanks for the crit!

mac

Thought I should post my progress.. er.. or lack thereof...  :D

Nice valk dat

mac.

324325[/snapback]

that's an awesome bridge section.

So.. what dat did is follow a toy blue print, but I want my model not to look toy-ish... hence I am experimenting...

mac

324457[/snapback]

You sayin my model looks toyish?!?

:D

Nice model, by the way. When we gonna get our VF-1's flyin out of it in an animation?

:Dat

Well the latest version of quicktime needs Windows 2000 or XP.  I have Windows ME at home.  I'll give this a shot a work on Monday.  I think I have XP there.

Thanks,

Carl

323944[/snapback]

I finally was able to see this animation. Great job.

Carl

here is the link:

Transformation movie

mac

322165[/snapback]

324338[/snapback]

hmmmmm it was about time *somebody* pointed that out. You are entirely correct.

I appreciate the critical eye!

I am working on the dimensions of the model. As probably dat, rod and aztek can tell you, if you follow the designs from the TV series or the movie to the letter, you'll find out that they aren't 3-d coherent. That is... things like you just observed start happening. I think that is specially evident in the valkyrie.

I am modelling in 3ds max, as for the toon shader... it is done in Maya. the transformation you saw there it is with a very simple model. I have a rather complex sdf 1 model, but I wanted to see how it looked in a toon shader... so I gave it a try.

I'll post more pics/movies and see which one looks best... or rather.. not as awful! :p

Thanks for the crit!

mac

324457[/snapback]

Hey Mac?

Just watched it like 8 more times. It looks like it just down to timing on a few parts. Try retiming the head and shoulder cannons again.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello, Everyone, I'm new to the forum and to 3d Modeling.

I've got a Zentraedi Battlepod I've been working on (on and off, actually) right now it's chassis is almost complete (no real detail work done) and the legs aren't even started yet (working on it).

ZentraediBattlepodBack-Now.jpg

and heres the other render.

ZentraediBattlepodwithLegsPerspecti.jpg

and some *gasp* Robotech (or mospeda in this case) stuff, I'll put up images as Soon as I can get them uploaded and ready.

Edited by maxsterling3

Wow, it's tough.

But I noticed as I was posting these pictures that theres some artifacts, so I'm going to try to fix those, when I have time (contract work kinda sucks) I'm thinking of starting over, I started this before my first 3ds class and now I'm sure I can do better now, higher poly too :)

oh, and here are some more pictures (using the clay like renderings)

ZentraediBattlepodCurrently-Left.jpg

ZentraediBack.jpg

and finally

ZentraediBattlepodCurrently.jpg

I think I like them better rendered like this.