Mass CG project ...

Aztek

PANDAREN,

Welcome! Have fun! the answer to your question is: HASEGAWA. I'm sure you can find the prints somewhere. Let me know and I'll hook you up if you can't.

:Dat

Thanx, man~~!! but i looking at website i also can't get it....or i really need 2 buy a model ?? n take as reference from it?

Well, my English isn't good enough to explain this :(

the panel lines are "cuted" on the surface by using boolean operations.

I create very thin cubes that match de panel lines, then I made a new copy of the leg for instance, resize it just a little, substract it to the cube and then substract the cube to the original leg.

Holy Crap...

I tried that once too and decided to leave it to bump mapping in the end, much for the same reason you're seeing. It warped my poly model so badly I coudn't and wouldn't have it.

Still haven't figured out how to use bumps effectively to simulate it yet, seems to me I need to use a really big bitmap file to get the crispness of the lines.

Thanx, man~~!! but i looking at website i also can't get it....or i really need 2 buy a model ?? n take as reference from it?

I'm kinda surprised this isn't in tehthread so everyone can build their own! Let me know if you need a higher res picture.

post-5-1096331837_thumb.jpg

Edited by DatterBoy

Dat,

I don't know if this is what your looking for, but here is a clip from my leg texture. I had black panel lines I drew in Illustrator. I copied them and pasted them as a path in Photoshop, rasterized, embossed, and then inverted the image. Copy that new "inverted embossed panel line" on to your generic white "base coat" and you should get a similar result. My weathering isn't as accurate as I'd like it, so all I did was gaussian blur my panel lines to simulate wear. All my textures are in this resolution, so it makes rendering a bear. After I get all my texs finished and have my details the way I like, I'll resize them down to a processor friendly size.

post-5-1096337533_thumb.jpg

I'm kinda surprised this isn't in tehthread so everyone can build their own! Let me know if you need a higher res picture.

:D Thanx again man~~~ i'll start it as soon as possible, hope it can be done well~ seem i'm going 2 do a full transformation valk, i think i start build fighter, then apply 2 gerwalk n battariod...em....any advice?? thanx!!

I think that's the best you can do. Start in fighter and build itout, od for batt and gerwalk. I believe ther eare slight changes you'll need to do to make the battroid look right. have seen someone go from HASEGAWA Batt model to fighter.. looked awful but have not seen the other way around before adjustments. I would imagine it's pretty close.

Think I may build a model based on these scans as well. Just to see how different it would look from the one I already have.

The riveting isn't normally visible in the CG renders we've seen dealing with the valk. The "dots" you textured are screws and their size is relatively close to real world after you figure in the wear around the paint surrounding the screw. Rivets are usually so small, flush and numerous, that the factory paint usually conceals them. As individual rivets loosen over time due to stress and failure, they protrude through the paint and begin to emit fuel,lube or hydro stains and streaks. This usually happens in onezies and twozies, not completely along a panel or wing spar. If it did, there would be a major failure along a spar or rib, usually the result of cracking, and repair would be necessary.

What you've got is good. I have the same style texture on mine. What I wanted to do in the future is lighten and blend about 40-50 percent of the visible screws into the base paint scheme of the valk. During panel removal not ALL of the screws are messed up so bad that they give off the signs of weathering that we have on our textures. Alot go back in so well that they blend back in to the structure, and when doing a preflight or post flight inspection, would not even be visible as a fastener unless you were specifically looking for it.

Sorry I went on a tangent with this rivet detail, but I can appreciate the work you are putting in to your valk, so I wanted you to have this to use if you though it would enhance the realism.

Also, When removing/replacing panels and the panel is a bitch coming off, we usually replace the screws rather than putting half rounded out screws back in. The panel is not repainted, nor are the screws. This ends up with zinc plated screws only being visible around the panel. It would be a cool effect to add to the valk on certain high maintenance panels. Maybe on one of the leg panels for engine maintenance. And some wing panels near the flaps, where the flap actuators would be. The zinc plated hardware is an aviation standard. It's a very light gold/yellow color.

Again, just an idea I have and no time on my part to implement yet.

Damn Az...

You know your stuff. Ain't gonna argue that. For me, I love the rveted look, just because it makes it look more mechanical to me and less toy so I like to include them whenever I can. Granted, I'd like to get some kind of dirt or weather strea on the proper rivets where I can.

WOZ.

Love that wing. I need to make me one of those, my wings need a full blown remodel. Been trying to continuously clean up and remodel different part of the valk to make the geometry efficient and correct. Here's where I am as of last night: see attached

Fixed:

- back "hatch" 2 seperate pieces made to be a single

- chestplate, 2 pieces made to be one

- remodelled the intakes ont he lower chestplate

Next up

- New wings

- new tail fins

- contouring for the upper legs (too squarish right now)

- landing gear

The work is never ending. Need to also learn how to UV map so I don't rely solely on projection mapping. All this is in an effort to prepare my model with good modelling so when I actually do unwrap it, it's not a big mess.

post-5-1097532053_thumb.jpg

Edited by DatterBoy

Saw this on CGTalk. Really nice model, thought you all would want to check it out

http://cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=177156

:o:o:o

Speechless. You have just left me speechless.

This is the best yf-19 CGI I've ever seen. Definitely.

I see that the great folks here continue to hone their skills with the Valks but the have left The Macross by the way side, a while back I saw great pictures of the Macross, but how come nobody is doing it anymore?, maybe a shot on the city of firing!!!

Hi guys... thanks for inviting. By the way that's the YF19 Hasegawa non-transformable kit which is sold at 2400 yen. :)

Is there a transformable version around? i din know that. :/

Hi Assaultor! Are you the Sean Soh who did the VF-19 model posted at CG Talk?

If so, beautiful work!

Hi Assaultor! Are you the Sean Soh who did the VF-19 model posted at CG Talk?

If so, beautiful work!

i agree!!!

absolutely stunning!!! :ph34r:

welcome to macross world!!!!

Hi guys... thanks for inviting. By the way that's the YF19 Hasegawa non-transformable kit which is sold at 2400 yen. :)

Is there a transformable version around? i din know that. :/

There is a transformable one around but its really expensive and a bit harder to find now.

heres a link:

Studio HalfEye YF-19

Nice woz, but the flaps are wrong, the VF-1's flaps don't simpyl fold down they are slotted flaps, will try to find some pics of this later.

I know I know, but I model de flaps before looking for references.

See F-111.net

Slotted Fowler flaps are really complex things.

ok i had an idea. in MAYA there are thigns called blend shapes. basicly you set up controls so that an object will morph when a slider is manipulated.

it seems like using blend shapes could solve the proportions issues for transformations these models are having. it would be an easy way to scale the wings down for a vf-1 in battroid mode for example.

or beef up legs/ arms when in robot mode and shrink them or elongate them as needed in jet mode.

does this sound familiar to anyone?

its simple to do yet complicated to explain. its used ALOT for facial animation but i see no reason why it couldn't work here. so long as the changes arn't HUGE, they probably woudln't be noticeable during a fully animated transformation.

if this sounds intresting to any of you let me know, i'll see if i can make a blend shape tutorial.

i ONLY know maya but i'm sure there are equivalents in 3d max, xsi, and what ever else.

PM me if you have any specific questions

KingNor,

On the right track, but probably not quite the right tool for the job. Blend shapes are used for complex nonuniform deformations - i.e. where the constituent vertices of the object move nonproportionally in relation to each other. Their other big advantage is that they are additive, meaning you can establish multiple blend shape deformers for a single object and appply them combinatorially. These two cool traits are much of the reason why these are so useful for facial animation: faces twist and warp while moving, and it is useful to be able to, say, apply a smile deformer in combination with, say, an open-mouth deformer to arrive at, say, a grimace of pain. Neither of these conditions really apply to valkyrie parts, though: the "animagic" of the transformation seems limited to a proportionate scaling of certain parts, and there is generally only one possible transformation to which they are subject. As such, they really don't necessitate the time and cumbersomeness that blend shapes entail. I'd just set keys on the X/Y/Z Scale attributes instead.

KingNor,

On the right track, but probably not quite the right tool for the job. Blend shapes are used for complex nonuniform deformations - i.e. where the constituent vertices of the object move nonproportionally in relation to each other. Their other big advantage is that they are additive, meaning you can establish multiple blend shape deformers for a single object and appply them combinatorially. These two cool traits are much of the reason why these are so useful for facial animation: faces twist and warp while moving, and it is useful to be able to, say, apply a smile deformer in combination with, say, an open-mouth deformer to arrive at, say, a grimace of pain. Neither of these conditions really apply to valkyrie parts, though: the "animagic" of the transformation seems limited to a proportionate scaling of certain parts, and there is generally only one possible transformation to which they are subject. As such, they really don't necessitate the time and cumbersomeness that blend shapes entail. I'd just set keys on the X/Y/Z Scale attributes instead.

thats fine too.

i just don't understand why people don' tdo this for their cg models.

its hard to make a actionfigure or real world model because of the anime magic.

but for some reason people are very hesitant to apply the same cheats to 3d that they apply to 2d.

imagine a realistic looking valk that looked perfect in all three modes.

( 8^( L) droooool

Anyone ever try exporting to VRML? Pretty cool.

VRML Stuff

WARNING!!! The Jet file is like 6+ MEGS so download at your own risk! Everything else is under 100k and you'll need a VRML plugin on your browser to view it.

WOZ,

Can I see a wire to see how you approached the modelling of the wing? Been trying to make a decent wing but can't fugure the best way to go about it.