Mass CG project ...

Aztek

MECHMASTER, great detail, you should hit that up with a GI render to see what it would look like in real light. That would be sweet.

Checked out my textures in Batt mode, looks like I need to do some more re-modelling.

:Dat

post-5-1083181317_thumb.jpg

Edited by DatterBoy

Mechmaster: Awesome model! But in addition to Dat's lighting suggestions, you might consider tweaking your camera lens settings - shooting closer up with a wider-angle (shorter focal length) lens setting will give you much more perspective distortion, which'll add to that mile-long feel. If any mecha deserves to be filmed as if it were huge, it's the Macross!

I haven't been keeping up with this thread like I was earlier, but when is the "final product" suppose to be finished? I have been looking forward to seeing all your fine Valks, Destroids, and the Macross in final rendered, posed glory.

OK all, I'm thinking this is gonna be pretty darn close to final for the modelling. I'm very happy with how the resculpts came out. New back and chest plates (without panel lines modelled in, sorry DOK, I know you prefer that), and all new legs, top and bottom. Less polys so I can focus on the textures.

Jet shots:

new_jets.jpg

All I need now is:

- clean the legs

- leg intake panels

- front chestplate intakes

- shoulder detail

- landing gear

- leg transformation hydraulics

--- maybe I have a lot more to go than I think.

post-5-1083181359_thumb.jpg

Edited by DatterBoy

great work Mechmaster!!!! are you going to change some textures on it? it has a massive feel that I think rules!!!

I've been upgrading the textures on my smaller mecha models when time permits but haven't got round to the SDF1 yet so its still using stock textures. The problem is it is so big that finely detailed textures don't show up in long shots and coarser textures turn to crap in close ups.

Those images were thrown together pretty quick, I need to find time to produce some custom textures and set up a proper lighting rig and find some really cool camera angles. Time... sigh... another 25 years and I will have reached retirement age, perhaps have more time then.

Meantime heres another one I don't think I've posted anywhere before.

post-5-1082196453_thumb.jpg

Hey yall good work, Hey Doc I think its almost time you and I work on something else, I think we've been doing these vf-1's for almost 3 years. Anyway I've been working on a lowish poly ver of my vf-1 its under 3 k of polys which I don't think is bad for a model that is fully articulated.

post-5-1082355753_thumb.jpg

GAMMERA: Even in low poly, your calks look damn good. Always loved your textures.

As for me, after a month anda half of computer celibacy I hit the model hard and just about remodelled every piece of my old valk. Seen so many great valks here that it made me want to step my model up a notch or two and get it a similar level as everyone else's.

Now I'm ready to texture!

post-5-1083181530_thumb.jpg

Edited by DatterBoy

And the remodelling continues...

Hated my old 1S head, so making another, will do the same with the 1J head. Based on the 48, of course.

post-5-1083181555.jpg

Edited by DatterBoy

Looks REALLY good, I can't wait to see the finished product.. It looks kind of hunchbacked though for some reason.. I dunno, it looks good from the side, but the canopy looks kind of... flat.. I dunno... it's weird. Maybe the chest plate is just a little too thick. :blink: I can't tell. Still, looks incredible. B))

I have to agree on that point. The canopy itself is more streamlined to the overall nosecone, and that's really where the problem lies. It should be more "bubbled" overall so it breaks the streamline of the nosecone. Been avoiding doing a remodel on the whole area just cuz I found it to be the most difficult part of the model to date, but I know I'm gonna have to hit it eventually or I just won't be satisfied.

Edited by DatterBoy

Hey Dat,

Try and find some good head on shots of an F-16, -14 or -18 to use as a ref for the cockpit canopy. I've found the -16 to be the best because it's more "exaggerated" than the others for lack of a better term. I'll try and find my ref to give you. Even though the side profile is diff between the -16 and the valk, the front shot is one I'm sure will look familiar when you see it.

Here's a front shot of mine. It has the cockpit shaded to accent the shell itself and the legs and head are shown in their strike fighter configuration because I'm texturing my booster packs right now. The canopy is a mix between the 1/48 (for transformation purposes) and the Hasegawa/DYRL style "bubble" canopy for looks. The hardest time I had with mine was making the heatshield fit snug with the canopy in Batt mode and still be able to rotate and stow in fighter mode w/out clipping. It also has the DYRL style canopy with the "notch" at the fwd most section, not the TV style where the glass flows into the nose fairings.

post-5-1082679533_thumb.jpg

Edited by Aztek

Thanks Az. It really helped to let me see what it was I was working towards. I kinda liked the unbubbled canopy, but even staring at my 48 I see it had to be changed. I still went minimal though and didn't make it to exagerated cuz I thought it might kill the modelling I did so far.

I'm now at the point where I think I can say the modelling is done and can start textures. Major rework from the old model.

Here are a few current shots:

jet_f.jpg

gerwalk_f.jpg

batt_f.jpg

Sweet Dat!

I like the rework of the thigh and hip joints, it looks more "realistic" and less "1/60" than ever. Definately the most improved valk posted here. And please don't misunderstand the "improved", it was awesome to begin with. :D

Thanks guys.

Seriously though, it was the result of admiring all the other works here that made me want to push the model further. You guys rule!

I redid almost everything on the valk. Only thing I didn't really touch was the tail section. Needed better modelling efficieny and I'd learned a lot since I first started this thing so it was about high time I applied what I had learned to older parts.

Next up, textures, oh... and I threw on the old armor to see how it would look despite the new model. Will likely have to completely redo the leg armor since it wasn't really done right the first time.

I wanna see more of other people's stuff too! More poses and the like. C'mon AZ! pose that baby and show us what you've got. I know you're working on armor...

post-5-1112038067_thumb.jpg

Edited by DatterBoy

DOK:

Got a problem with the model. I am trying to start my textures, but when I assigned textures, some of the polygon faces got this transparent look. The result is they won't hold a texture and when rendered, comes out grey in the shot. It affects some polygons and some faces of polygons, but sometimes not all the faces of the same polygon...

Any ideas?

post-5-1112038036.jpg

Edited by DatterBoy

Damn, I tried that, didn't have any luck with it... the transparency thing just stays. I'll give it another shot.

Also found out as I begin to texture that my chest and nosecone pieces have proprtion issues. Think my Valk lloked better untextured, now I may have to go back and remodel those pieces... Should have used Hasegawa schematics... hahahaha.

::Dat

Damn, I tried that, didn't have any luck with it... the transparency thing just stays. I'll give it another shot.

Also found out as I begin to texture that my chest and nosecone pieces have proprtion issues. Think my Valk lloked better untextured, now I may have to go back and remodel those pieces... Should have used Hasegawa schematics... hahahaha.

::Dat

try selecting the pieces with the transparency issue and doing Edit >> Delete by Type >> History before you retexture. Dunno, might help...

Man, its been awhile since i've posted anything. Got out my vf-1 the other day and messed with it. Cleanned up the arms and legs a little. I still need some damn HANDS!!! Don't mind the textures. I was bored.

fightergerwalk.jpg

Don't worry about the lack of hands, your model doesn't need it :)

Same thing with the textures. If that's what you do when you're bored, I can't wait to see what you can come up with when you're trying :)

And lastly, what have done with that Alpha and Cyclone models you were making? :p