New 1/60 Fan Liner

Jasonc

On 7/20/2022 at 10:29 AM, arbit said:

Nice. Which clear resin are you using?

I was using a mixture of Saraya Tech Blu Clear V2 and their Tenacious brand. I also used a little bit of blue alcohol dye to eliminate any possible yellowing. The clear blu v.2 is extremely tough, while the Tenacious resin adds a bit of flexibility to it. I think my ratio is about 90% blu and 10% tenacious, but even at 80/20, that works well.

On 7/20/2022 at 5:21 PM, Xigfrid said:

That’s a great price considering the work and numerous prototypes involved! 

I would be interested by the stl but I need to find a painter first :)

I have two tips I would like to share with you:

i didn’t see any display stand option, but I have noticed that it can save a lot of place by displaying the toys mid air on a flight stand. The most practical stand I have found is the Gundam / 1:12 figure display stands which have a plastic pin. They sell for 2-3$ each on aliexpress and can be found in any Gundam stores. And it is easy to design the hole or drill it. 

Buy pins! I have bought hundreds of 1mm diameter pins in different lengths: 3mm, 5mm, 6mm, 8mm, 10mm. 12mm. And never regretted it. Each time I am running short of one size I can’t imagine myself to cut the pins, sand them smooth etc. So I just buy them over and over.

I didn't put a hole in the body because of the ability to build it where parts can be interchangeable. I don't have any of those stands, so I would need to have the correct size of the hole to make for the display stands.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm currently printing the finalized set of parts. First will be the front and rear canopy sections in clear (multiple copies, in case I run into an issue with air bubbles), then the wings in standard grey, then everything else in standard grey. Will post pictures when done.

19 hours ago, Anasazi37 said:

I'm currently printing the finalized set of parts. First will be the front and rear canopy sections in clear (multiple copies, in case I run into an issue with air bubbles), then the wings in standard grey, then everything else in standard grey. Will post pictures when done.

Can't wait to see it. I just printed two for orders, and I'm really happy with the outcome. Definitely not a beginner's kit, but seeing it put together is joy for me.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/7/2022 at 3:43 PM, Anasazi37 said:

As promised, here is my print of the finalized set of parts. Quality of the design is top notch, as I mentioned before. There's still some sanding to do on the leading edges of the wings, where I had supports attached, but it's pretty minimal. The canopy parts came out well. They look cloudy right now because that's what happens to them after the cleaning process I use to remove excess resin prior to curing. As soon as I do the progressive sanding and then dip in Future, they become crystal clear. I'm leaving those parts on the supports for now, but will remove them prior to sanding/dipping. I'm leaving the control stick on its supports as well, just so I don't lose or damage it. Very small and delicate part. Not sure when I'll have time to actually build and paint this, but at least the printing is done!

20220820_161210.jpg

Edited by Anasazi37

As promised, here is my print of the finalized set of parts. Quality of the design is top notch, as I mentioned before. There's still some sanding to do on the leading edges of the wings, where I had supports attached, but it's pretty minimal. The canopy parts came out well. They look cloudy right now because that's what happens to them after the cleaning process I use to remove excess resin prior to curing. As soon as I do the progressive sanding and then dip in Future, they become crystal clear. I'm leaving those parts on the supports for now, but will remove them prior to sanding/dipping. I'm leaving the control stick on its supports as well, just so I don't lose or damage it. Very small and delicate part. Not sure when I'll have time to actually build and paint this, but at least the printing is done!

For that back seat, you can just use another of the front seat. the back seat there is an option if you put magnets in it, the 3 x 1 mm round ones, but it not, you can just use a second front seat. Aside from that, the prints came out great. I just recently started painting other parts. It's not the easiest to paint the cockpit, the pin stripe, nose, and then the body, but I'm hoping for the best. Trying to get it done by 9/17 (Super Dimension Con).

1 hour ago, Jasonc said:

For that back seat, you can just use another of the front seat. the back seat there is an option if you put magnets in it, the 3 x 1 mm round ones, but it not, you can just use a second front seat. Aside from that, the prints came out great. I just recently started painting other parts. It's not the easiest to paint the cockpit, the pin stripe, nose, and then the body, but I'm hoping for the best. Trying to get it done by 9/17 (Super Dimension Con).

Thanks for the tip on the seat. I can add another front seat to a future print run. Looking forward to seeing your completed model!

21 hours ago, nightmareB4macross said:

JasonC, that kit looks amazing.

Can’t wait to see it finished at SDCon.

Oh man. Now I'm held to that date. This is going to be really tight squeeze.