All members should CHANGE their passwords - Help thread

4 out of 6 resolved...
Also discovered you can make a post on your phone using your cellular service, and I can use that IP as a lookup into history as well.
Apparently the Invision Board software has a 'logged in using this IP address' historical report, which is proving extremely useful right now.

ok...all users re-confirmed

If you are having a problem resetting your password:
turn off your vpn or use your cellular provider, create a new macrossworld account, pm me you old user name
I'll look up your new user account IP address and see if it exists under your old account prior to Jan 2021
I'll then update your old user account with the new email, delete your new user, and force a password reset on your old
so simple...doh!

39 minutes ago, Shawn said:

Discovering that in our 20 years here...we've outlived many ISPs
Lots of old hotmail accounts too! LOL

Feeling super old doing this...

How many of y'all still have your custom SDF Macross DVD cases by Paul Champagne Designs? There's a blast from the past, heh. I still have mine.

On 3/27/2022 at 10:23 PM, Shawn said:

Discovering that in our 20 years here...we've outlived many ISPs
Lots of old hotmail accounts too! LOL

Feeling super old doing this...

True story, I'm still using that old hotmail account. I enjoy the look on people's faces when I say "at hotmail dot com"

I don't really know how could I forgot my password so easily a few days ago, and I realized that I somehow got hacked or something and tried so much to reset my password but the site keeps on sending me errors so I have to email the mods. Glad that @Shawn and other mods solved this and I just got my new password to post this, thank you 

All accounts that have pm'ed me have been fixed, so if you still have a problem

1. create a new mwf account with the email you want to use...add a '-2' or something to the end of the user name..e.g. Shawn is now Shawn-2

2. login to mwf with that new '-2' version account, and send me a message with what your old email address was

3. i will verify the current IP you are using matches the logged history

4. i will update your old account with the new email, and you'll watch for a new password reset at that new email address

5. i will delete your '-2' account

S

20 hours ago, vladykins said:

As the original person nailed by this, I appreciate all @Shawn's actions to protect us. Pretty messed up and I still feel awful about the people who were duped from my account.

It's an important lesson for all of us to be more careful with our passwords and not to be so quick to use Paypal friends and family to pay for items. We all have lapses and we mess up, but as long as we learn from it and don't make the same mistakes again, this doesn't have to happen another time. Hopefully, those folks who got rooked can get their money back.

Don't be so hard on yourself; just make sure your pw is 1,23954843 characters and with special characters, numbers and other stuff, and you should be okay! :D

3 hours ago, pengbuzz said:

It's an important lesson for all of us to be more careful with our passwords and not to be so quick to use Paypal friends and family to pay for items. We all have lapses and we mess up, but as long as we learn from it and don't make the same mistakes again, this doesn't have to happen another time. Hopefully, those folks who got rooked can get their money back.

Don't be so hard on yourself; just make sure your pw is 1,23954843 characters and with special characters, numbers and other stuff, and you should be okay! :D

The changing passwords thing is key, since I had the same password since I joined in 2008. Which was....um, awhile ago. :)

Reset mine.  Like Vladykins, I've been using the same rather basic password since the early 00s. Sorry to hear about the password reuse issues. We've had it good on this site for many years, many thanks to Shawn, Graham, and all the mods who keep it going and maintain the peace. MW is my primary online refuge from the world, and I would miss it terribly if it no longer was.  

18 hours ago, M'Kyuun said:

Reset mine.  Like Vladykins, I've been using the same rather basic password since the early 00s. Sorry to hear about the password reuse issues. We've had it good on this site for many years, many thanks to Shawn, Graham, and all the mods who keep it going and maintain the peace. MW is my primary online refuge from the world, and I would miss it terribly if it no longer was.  

Same here, on all counts except the basic pw. After getting burned hard early on, I began upping my pw's  until now I need a frickin' calculator to determine a new one!

• azrael changed the title to All members should CHANGE their passwords - Help thread

All accounts that have pm'ed me have been fixed, so if you still have a problem it means I missed your post, so send me another message

1. create a new mwf account with the email you want to use...add a '-2' or something to the end of the user name..e.g. Shawn is now Shawn-2

2. login to mwf with that new '-2' version account, and send me a message with what your old email address was

4. i will update your old account with the new email, and you'll watch for a new password reset at that new email address

S

On 3/27/2022 at 8:29 AM, Renmazuo said:

Good to see it was something prompted by you! I wasn't sure I could trust the email (because I've not logged in on the site for ages) so I instead got to the site, used the "Forgot your password?" prompt and did it like that. 

Ditto here.

@Shawn and other Admins/Mods, thank you all for all you do for this website.

I also noticed the sign in feature (at least for me) doesn't work with your username and instead prompts for an email.

I had been meaning to make time to getting back online here, so this was a nice push for me; glad to see everyone.

Regards,

-MWUser 

On 4/3/2022 at 4:59 PM, MWUser said:

I also noticed the sign in feature (at least for me) doesn't work with your username and instead prompts for an email.

Yep-not just you, it was global for the board.
It is an extra layer of security...potential bad actors now need to know more than just your screen name

Just the rolling update

All accounts that have pm'ed me have been fixed, so if you still have a problem it means I missed your post, so send me another message

2. login to mwf with that new email version account, and send me a message with what your old email address was

S

8 hours ago, grss1982 said:

Only changed it now. Was quite surprised with the "very strong" requirement. The new reality I guess. :(

Thanks to the mods for all the work they do.

So long as there’s no requirement to change it every x months, I’m all good. Password managers ftw.

• 3 weeks later...

If having problems-please do this

2. login to mwf with that new email version account, and send me a message with what your old email address was

S