2 hours ago, derex3592 said:

When does the actual physical 4K disc release? Can't find it on Amazon for pre-order.

Ditto that question. I'm purposefully not going to watch this on streaming because nothing beats the fidelity you get physical media. IMO

-b.

On 4/11/2022 at 7:07 PM, Dobber said:

Whoops, I stand corrected. Yes it was added in the 2001 Directors cut and removed again in the 2009 Blu-ray Theatrical edition. Question remains though….is it back?

Chris

In that scene, the nacelles are back in shot, but they are lower down in the windows. I think when they were first seen, far higher up, Kirk and co were supposed to be in one of the aft lounges on the back curve of the saucer. Now, I think they are 'set' in the main officer's lounge behind the bridge.

Overall, I do like this version way better than any before. I'll be buying this one when it's out. Thank you, Mr. Wise!

14 hours ago, Thom said:

In that scene, the nacelles are back in shot, but they are lower down in the windows. I think when they were first seen, far higher up, Kirk and co were supposed to be in one of the aft lounges on the back curve of the saucer. Now, I think they are 'set' in the main officer's lounge behind the bridge.

Overall, I do like this version way better than any before. I'll be buying this one when it's out. Thank you, Mr. Wise!

Thanks Thom. IIRC that is where they originally wanted to have the scene but couldn’t afford it. I liked it being in the starboard rear curve lounge, too, as it demonstrated the knowledge of the ship model and the effort to make the sets more believable since there are larger square windows there that are different from the dot and dash windows on the rest of the saucer rim. As I’m sure you know. :)

Chris

Edited by Dobber

Twelve minutes of stills and dramatic music? That's DEFINITELY Star Trek: The Motion Picture!

Seriously, the main thing I take away from that is the existing UHD release was just lazy. They didn't color-correct AT ALL.

While a lot of it looks very subtle in a number of locations, I am pretty surprised on how much was different between the original and the directors cuts and what made its way into the standard 4K versus the Paramount+ variant. Kind of wowed, which doesn't happen to me a lot.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, pengbuzz said:

Let us know if V'Ger wins this time! :rofl:

But Vger always won.  Or do you mean "wins again"?  (OK, everybody wins, cept the Klingons - and the poor saps on the listening post)

Edited by Dynaman

It was quite nice. Some scenes were extended, some added that weren’t there before, like a bit of Spock’s exposition toward the end. 

Special effects were good, they really did a great job with the Enterprise and spent quite a lot of time getting it as right as they could. 

There was a ten-minute long snippet in the beginning where the SFX crew talk about how they got the original models for the Enterprise, the K’tinga, and the Worker Bee and pored over them to create the digital models of them. Interesting. 

They also included the minutes-long entr’acte of the starfield and the orchestral score. Also more shots of the exterior of V’Ger, which was welcome. 

So I enjoyed myself. This is the definitive version of the movie, now. 

I'll echo @Sildani's sentiment, I had a blast. Ours was a smaller theater probably about 50-person capacity, and I'd say it was about half full.  My wife had never seen this movie, my brother in law is a huge Trek fan and he had never seen it on the big screen, nor had I or my father in law.  The 10 minute intro with the SFX team about the models was great! As an avid modeler, I really enjoyed that!  This movie isn't for everyone, and I understand the dislike for it, not one phaser firing!!! Haha!   That being said, I never really liked it or disliked it, it was basically a Star Trek movie that you saw on cable on Sunday afternoon as a teenager and thought, yeh ok, I'll watch that one again. Now that I'm older, it really IS a love letter from the SFX model builders to Star Trek. My GOD the models in this were just breathtaking on the big screen. I know they did use CGI in this new version intermixed with the original all be it cleaned up SFX shots, but the entire experience is still quite moving on a large format screen. The sound and picture at our theater was perfect. Surround was on, subs were ON, musical soundtrack and dialog were well balanced and not overbearing. The picture was amazing.  Looked like a brand new movie apart from some of the bridge shots especially in the wormhole sequence, but it is what it is. 10/10 for quality and the restoration of the original.  New shots of the VGER ship were brief, but welcome!   Already got our tickets for KAHN in September!!!  Load photon torpedoes! 

Agree the picture was a blast...the models just made it perfect. I've seen this move countless times on bluray/OLED TV, but damn...seeing these blown up on the large screen was just amazing. If you have a chance to see it on the large screen you won't be disappointed, just amazing.

S

Oh, yes, the Klingon battle music was intact. The “snaps” were mixed to sound like they came from EVERYWHERE. Very effective. 

Man I wish this was playing at a local theater, I would love to see this on a screen that size.

I'm one of those weirdos who loves this movie just for the pure Trek-ness of it.  I know it's not a big action blockbuster, but this is one of those stories that goes right along with what I think was always one of the most important themes of the franchise, something Q summarized absolutely succinctly at the end of TNG.

That’s the essence of it. I love how John DeLancie looked so ready to tell Picard everything, his face so full of gravity. But then at the last moment thinks better of it; letting Picard figure it out on his own will be more… fun. 

What I had hoped Picard would have jumped back into. 

So I am already a fan of the Motion Picture and enjoyed the movie and its updates but I gotta say I was a little disappointed with the picture quality. With how it was being talked up, I was expecting a cleaner looking picture. Maybe it was my theater or something but it was blurry/ hazy in a bunch of spots when I was thinking it would be a clean sharp picture. 🤷‍♂️

Chris

31 minutes ago, Dobber said:

I was a little disappointed with the picture quality.

That may have been to the film's advantage, particularly concerning the inconsistent quality of effects work...

1691473558_ScreenShot2022-04-09at10_05_05PM.png.bf00e012917f63ad2caeb0110bec7bc6.png

This half-assed shot from The Director's Edition (above) actually looks worse than the 1979 original optical (below):

2102371408_ScreenShot2022-04-09at10_30_34PM.png.c480692da695389bcfccb3649bf15982.png

You'll see the original matte painting matched the perspective of the live-action elements much better than the CGI shuttles in the new shot do.  

Look closely, and you'll also notice the ghostly after-image of extras not properly composited into the new shot: 

1943987411_ghostsofstarfleet.png.74fc50b7227f6a26d783fecf8fad9955.png

Most of the new shots looks better than this, but some are distractingly bad.

1628036440_ScreenShot2022-04-10at12_11_28AM.png.6d8c057134428d7d0758ee63cac81941.png

Note how the actors have been digitally blurred to help matte them into the CGI background, since they painted out the original set wall behind them... except for that inexplicable beam that remains behind Kirk. 🤨

961667804_ScreenShot2022-04-10at12_11_09AM.png.eba25bd7676bcb17f2773fa7b191f325.png

33 minutes ago, Dobber said:

Maybe it was my theater or something but it was blurry/ hazy in a bunch of spots when I was thinking it would be a clean sharp picture. 🤷‍♂️

On 5/23/2022 at 10:03 AM, Dynaman said:

Camera focus is one thing but the extremely blurry background on many shots on the bridge (not too far in the background either) was really bad.

I assume you guys are taking about diopter shots like this one, where the anamorphic lens was split with two different focal planes:

1676032189_ScreenShot2022-05-24at11_15_47PM.png.d408b2b286f024007b33e3b2c0a13a93.png

Robert Wise and cinematographer Richard Kline were known for embracing this technique (particularly in The Andromeda Strain), and Quentin Tarantino has employed diopter shots in Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction, and more recently The Hateful Eight.  While most filmmakers try to hide the lines between focal planes, the Enterprise bridge set in particular made it very difficult to do so... resulting in somewhat distracting shots like this one.

Yeah, was not really referring to the dual perspective stuff but more like what you pointed out with the officer’s lounge scene and just kind of overall. Probably just not really understanding what I should have expected. I was probably expecting modern movie HD or 4k clean and crispness. 

Chris

In The Andromeda Strain that blurry background worked (mainly due to the nature of the movie) but on the Enterprise bridge it was an atrocious idea.  It looks like someone smeared Vaseline on the camera.  ST2 only a few short years later managed to get it correct.  Not to mention the TOS.

3 hours ago, Dynaman said:

In The Andromeda Strain that blurry background worked (mainly due to the nature of the movie) but on the Enterprise bridge it was an atrocious idea.  It looks like someone smeared Vaseline on the camera.  ST2 only a few short years later managed to get it correct.  Not to mention the TOS.

Yes, this. It wasn’t just out of focus but looked more like Vaseline.

Chris