1 hour ago, pengbuzz said:

Not really; I have a cathode ray tube screen. So it doesn't make a difference.

Please though...carry on. And here's your eyeroll back...I think you dropped it over there.

*dusts eyeroll off*

🙄

Also, things that pop on a picture tube look drab on an LCD. I've had to stop viewing and change screens before because some old anime DVD was just flat and lifeless. The same should apply here, with the 2001 DVD being mastered for picture tubes.

I'm going to be the weirdo that prefers my original VHS copy, the one that had all of the extra scenes that my DVD copy doesnt. :p 

I don't usually mind upgraded effects too much, but I think showing so much of V-Ger actually detracts from the impact it has on screen, kind of like the difference between the original and redone versions of the wampa in ESB.  It feels so much more impressive when you can't actually see the whole thing on screen at once.

Edited by Chronocidal

4 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

I'm going to be the weirdo that prefers my original VHS copy, the one that had all of the extra scenes that my DVD copy doesnt.

All the incomplete scenes, you mean? :p

135729525_ScreenShot2022-03-26at9_29_35PM.png.64c057d95997611fa5e0c15d596c4724.png

I couldn't believe Paramount thought unfinished effects shots were acceptable for an official home video release.  The same sequence appears in the syndicated TV version, too! :blink:

30 minutes ago, TangledThorns said:

Still a very well made classic though.

Not at all.  I've always thought there was a lot to love about The Motion Picture, but it's far from "well-made."  The production was a textbook case of mismanagement, right from Day One -- announcing a release date before they had a finished script, even -- and millions were wasted on unusable effects work from a studio that simply wasn't up to the task.  The result was a production grossly over-budget, with an incomplete script, incomplete effects, an incomplete edit that needed a lot more work, and a film rushed to theaters that failed to satisfy critics, general audiences, or even most Star Trek fans. :unsure:

Over two decades later, Robert Wise was finally given the chance to complete the film properly, thanks to the success of the Star Wars: Special Edition.  Incomplete shots could be finished with CGI, the sound design could be revised and updated, and the film could be properly edited for pacing and continuity.  The 2001 Director's Edition is what the film was supposed to be, and it's far superior to the theatrical release, the "Special Longer Version," or the syndicated television cut. :good:

Of course, Paramount managed to screw up that release as well, with the short-sighted decision to render the effects and master the film in 480p.  Within five years, Blu-ray had made standard-definition obsolete, and the subsequent HD release of The Motion Picture had to be struck from 1979 negatives. :vava:

Now, 15 long years later, we're FINALLY getting a definitive release of the complete film in high-definition, with updated 4K visual effects elements. 🤩

@pengbuzz, you've waited long enough.  It's time to join us in the 21st century. 😊

36 minutes ago, Mog said:

So. . . . are we gonna get 20 additional minutes of them slow panning around the Enterprise, lovingly filming the ship from every conceivable and imaginable angle?

This is apparently a 4k update of the re-edited Directors cut with updated special effects we got on DVD in 2001.  It's not the same as the theatrical cut or the extra 20 minutes of starring at Vger that we got on the VHS special edition.  It's taken this long, because they were honestly a bit stupid, and only rendered the new CGI at 1080P.  It had to be completely redone and reedited to get a higher resolution.  This version is considered ..... better, though still not great.  Most of the movies underlying issues remain. 

https://www.syfy.com/syfy-wire/star-trek-the-motion-picture-directors-cut-gets-stunning-4k-restoration

Edited by levzloi

7 minutes ago, levzloi said:

This is apparently a 4k update of the re-edited Directors cut with updated special effects we got on DVD in 2001.

Yeah, he gets it.  Mog was just being facetious. 😝

8 minutes ago, levzloi said:

It's taken this long, because they were honestly a bit stupid, and only rendered the new CGI at 1080P.

If only...!  😅

Paramount wasn't stupid, they were just cheap.  1080p would've been high-definition, and DVDs weren't capable of that... so 480p was considered adequate (and cost-effective). :unknw:

4 minutes ago, tekering said:

Yeah, he gets it.  Mog was just being facetious. 😝

If only...!  😅

Paramount wasn't stupid, they were just cheap.  1080p would've been high-definition, and DVDs weren't capable of that... so 480p was considered adequate (and cost-effective). :unknw:

right, getting my resolution's confused. between DVD, HD, and Ultra HD.  man I feel old.  I got that special edition VHS set of the movies for my birthday in 91 or 92 I think, the ones that made the enterprise if you lined them up.  Watched them so many times. 

8 hours ago, levzloi said:

It's taken this long, because they were honestly a bit stupid, and only rendered the new CGI at 1080P.  It had to be completely redone and reedited to get a higher resolution.  This version is considered ..... better, though still not great.  Most of the movies underlying issues remain.

And they had to redo all the new CG from scratch because they never got the original files from the company they hired to render the scenes, just final video at 480p. And then the company went out of business, so they COULDN'T get the original files and had to reconstruct the scenes from scratch.

Well, I'm not going to get Paramount+ for this... but I will absolutely support it if and when it comes to a digital library-type service or on physical media, because I absolutely want this level of remaster to continue into the rest of the series.  Don't want this one stopping halfway thru the way they did with remastering the TV shows.

With the best will in the world, The Motion Picture is jokingly called The Slow-Motion Picture for a bloody reason... but hopefully these edits make what was originally some above average VFX into something gobsmacking.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/27/2022 at 9:18 PM, Seto Kaiba said:

Well, I'm not going to get Paramount+ for this... but I will absolutely support it if and when it comes to a digital library-type service or on physical media, because I absolutely want this level of remaster to continue into the rest of the series.  Don't want this one stopping halfway thru the way they did with remastering the TV shows.

I'm pretty much in the same boat.  Not terribly enthused about TMP but I do want them to keep upgrading the others.

18 minutes ago, TangledThorns said:

Just watched this on Paramount+ today. Seems more finished this time around and good overall. Persis Khambatta looked amazing in it too, shame she died so young. 

What do you mean by "more finished?"

28 minutes ago, Mommar said:

So they did massage some effects?

Heck yes.  There is at least one teaser trailer showing the difference between the older DVD enhanced edition and this one.  The exterior Vger shot is incredible.  Don't know how long it lasts though.

Can you see the warp nacelle from the Officers lounge scene again? It was in the old 90’s director’s cut but removed again in the 2001 addition.

Chris

20 hours ago, Dobber said:

Can you see the warp nacelle from the Officers lounge scene again? It was in the old 90’s director’s cut but removed again in the 2001 addition.

Chris

I will not be seeing it for awhile but on a different note - the shadow of the support rig for the Enterprise is no longer visible in the scene where it leaves spacedock.  I never noticed it till I saw the teaser trailer about it.

On 4/9/2022 at 4:22 PM, Dobber said:

Chris

The Nacelle shot during the Kirk, Spock, McCoy officer's lounge scene was added in the 2001 edition.

3 hours ago, The Shade said:

The Nacelle shot during the Kirk, Spock, McCoy officer's lounge scene was added in the 2001 edition.

Whoops, I stand corrected. Yes it was added in the 2001 Directors cut and removed again in the 2009 Blu-ray Theatrical edition. Question remains though….is it back?

Chris