Hasegawa 1:72 Regult build question

Photogirl

About to start the new Regult, but wondering if anyone has suggestions on the build. I've heard it's got lots of seam lines. 
only videos i can find on youtube are japanese and don't show much of the build. I like building in sub assemblies, but like to be prepared ahead of time if there are easier ways people have figured out

I don't have the kit yet, but looking at the instructions: https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/image/10837544

• Legs seem to be assembled using Polycaps so the items in step 1 to 8 can all be assembled, seam lines removed and painted prior to assembly
  • Upper leg, apply G2 after finishing the grey parts.  Annoyingly, there is a decal that you will need to match colours with
  • Lower leg will be a bit more difficult to deal with, probably the hardest part of the kit.  You can modify the parts (white vs. grey) and remove the pins on the white parts, fix seam lines, paint and the glue them together.
  • For the main body, step 14 has a grouping of sub assemblies.  The outer body parts in step 12 can be painted before attaching because it looks like it follows the colour separation.  The seams on the blue parts are in the line art, so you can either leave them as is or remove them.  I don't think masking the completed body would be that difficult and that would be the approach I would take.  You can deal with the seams between parts A3 and A5.
  • All the guns and greebles attach via polycaps so you can paint those first and attach them later.
  • The part in step 15 requires a choice to use the stand or not but that piece uses polycaps so you can deal with seam line easily

All-in-all, the kits looks pretty well engineered and fairly straight forward to paint.  Looking forward to seeing your work.

I am currently building it and as mentioned there are a lot of seam lines. I don’t think it’s necessarily Hasegawa’s fault, but more of the way things are designed. The majority of the nubs are undergated, so you won’t be damaging the surface during cleanup. But you wanna get those nubs sanded pretty well for a better fit. I couldn’t find it mentioned in the instructions, but someone here mentioned that if you want to use the included smaller sensors, then you have to drill out the ones molded in the body to replace them.

as far as the decal issue mentioned above, when looking at a lot of images the Zentraedi seem to use a brighter white and even a darker blue on their writing and emblems, so you shouldn’t have to match the blue and white to the actual model.

On 3/7/2022 at 6:55 AM, Photogirl said:

About to start the new Regult, but wondering if anyone has suggestions on the build. I've heard it's got lots of seam lines. 
only videos i can find on youtube are japanese and don't show much of the build. I like building in sub assemblies, but like to be prepared ahead of time if there are easier ways people have figured out

So one thing I ran into while glueing the legs along the seam was that you need to be careful not to put too much pressure in the center. Those legs aren’t like Bandai Gundam kits with supports and inner frames to hold things up. While squeezing the joints together it can cause the outer edge when the seam line is to open up instead of close. So I would suggest pinching closer to the edges while being careful not to touch the glue

• 3 months later...

I'm building this model now and it's great. I'm putting a light in the 'eye' and in both feet. Question: Are you using the base? If not, are you having issues with it not staying upright over time. I notice on my I'll have it upright and it'll very sloooooly droop down and eventually it'll just fall forward. With all the wiring I have going the base won't really work since I won't be able to hide the wires if it's flying. 

2 hours ago, SwanGore said:

I'm building this model now and it's great. I'm putting a light in the 'eye' and in both feet. Question: Are you using the base? If not, are you having issues with it not staying upright over time. I notice on my I'll have it upright and it'll very sloooooly droop down and eventually it'll just fall forward. With all the wiring I have going the base won't really work since I won't be able to hide the wires if it's flying. 

Mine barely holds up when all the weight is on it. I’ve been adding a little gloss in the joints to try and toughen it. 
really looking forward to seeing yours lit up. And curious how you achieve the lighting. And are you gonna light up the sensors on the body as well?