Plastic filler

mark-1s

First off I should mention this project that I'm in the process of is not Mac related, but figured this is the best sub-forum to ask this question. 

My project involves an old style telephone handset and I'm going to have to fill in some very small gaps (like 2mm x 4mm) and I'm wondering what would be the best product for such an application. It would be a huge plus if it was really to use.

Thx in advance, and my apologies if this isn't the correct area for my query.

The epoxies are probably the fastest, but I’ve had the best luck with polyester putty from tamiya. That one does take about a day though. I personally don’t like the normal tamiya putties since they don’t seem to stick as well to the surface and have shrinking issues and can take a while to dry for sanding.

2 hours ago, Big s said:

The epoxies are probably the fastest, but I’ve had the best luck with polyester putty from tamiya. That one does take about a day though. I personally don’t like the normal tamiya putties since they don’t seem to stick as well to the surface and have shrinking issues and can take a while to dry for sanding.

I've experienced that as well. Plastic Welder is less an epoxy than it is a 2-part adhesive that is stronger and less brittle than epoxy. it also bonds much more closely to the plastic; in fact, the transformable fighter I designed is partly built from plastic welder (cured into shapes and sanded/ cut).

Tamiya stuff is usually easy to find, but their polyester putty is the hard one to get these days. The permatex plastic welder that pengbuzz recommended was at the local hardware store, so I’m gonna see how that one goes on a couple of projects.

3 hours ago, Big s said:

Tamiya stuff is usually easy to find, but their polyester putty is the hard one to get these days. The permatex plastic welder that pengbuzz recommended was at the local hardware store, so I’m gonna see how that one goes on a couple of projects.

Good; just be careful though that they haven't had it sitting on their pegs for a while. I bought two tubes the other day at a local automotive store (they ended up shipping them from another store, so I couldn't check them) that were dried out and useless, so I need to return them. They tend to go bad after 6 months or so, so these had to have been sitting around for some time.

Keeping receipts is a good thing.

Milliput is GREAT stuff and you can shape it with water. It ALSO makes a great gap filler too. It sounds like what you have is OLD! If its new, get your money back. BOTH rolls should be fine and not like what you described. With the new stuff, keep the plastic rolls separate and cut each roll with a separate knife. You don't want to cross-contaminate the rolls and cause them to cure slowly. I hope that helps. - MT

Oh it definitely was old. I’ve used plenty of it in the past, but getting refunds on open products can be a pain as pengbuzz mentioned. In my case, I was able to get a resuply, but it was a waiting game to get the new batch in. The local hobby shop was out, so I ordered from amazon, I had to ship it back and I think overall I just should’ve waited for the hobby shop to get it in stock.

and it is pretty good. I definitely like miliput better than most putties, but I do still feel like around edges that a second or even third application are needed.