1/72 Wave VF-4 Lightning lll project

Goodman Models

• 2 weeks later...

Here' a Little update on the Lightning build. I've done some pre/post shading and it's coming along. You can see some of the weapons loadout that will be added to this bird. I also got some red down for the Sundowners markings and I've been working on making some of my own masks for painting it. More to follow ~ Anth

DSC05634.JPG

DSC05635.JPG

DSC05636.JPG

DSC05637.JPG

Thanks you for your interest. I've got the Sundowners "rising sun" painted on the vertical stabs. I had a 1/48 scale decal set of Sundowners for the F5 Freedom fighter aggressor squadron - I scanned it at a 66% reduction and printed it out. I then rough cut it out and glued it down (gluestick) to the top of some 40mm Tamiya tape and then cut out the white sections (the negative). I painted the stabs red and then used the mask over the red, then painted on the white (Mr. Color 1). 

One of my specialities is cracking canopies. No build is complete without one stress fracture and this one has the rear section cracked. Will vac form another!

• 2 weeks later...

Here's the finished shading for the airframe and the "rising sun" logos painted on the vertical stabs! It turned out fairly well and I'm happy with them. Wave provides 2 different vernier options for the leg - I painted up both, but will choose the shallow version. 

DSC05645.JPG

DSC05646.JPG

On 3/25/2022 at 5:21 PM, Goodman Models said:

Here's the finished shading for the airframe and the "rising sun" logos painted on the vertical stabs! It turned out fairly well and I'm happy with them. Wave provides 2 different vernier options for the leg - I painted up both, but will choose the shallow version. 

DSC05645.JPG

DSC05646.JPG

Spectacular!!!

• 3 weeks later...

CVW-2 is NE, which seems like it would fit.

The traditional tailcode, however, for the Sundowners is NL.

Either way, that is a hot looking VF-4 so far @Goodman Models!!

On 4/19/2022 at 2:52 PM, Goodman Models said:

anybody have any idea as to tail markings for fictional squadrons aboard the Mega Road 2? I will use N for Pacific, not sure what the other letter would be. I have a serial number cooked up as well.

Good question ! I only got as far as SDF-2 markings on my models. So you're able to print your own letters and numbers or are you stenciling?

On 4/21/2022 at 10:55 PM, slide said:

CVW-2 is NE, which seems like it would fit.

The traditional tailcode, however, for the Sundowners is NL.

Either way, that is a hot looking VF-4 so far @Goodman Models!!

I would like to use the NL, but in my mind I don't think it makes sense anymore. I think it has to be a made up one for "fleet defense" or something like that instead of a Homebase. I'm not %100 yet tho. And thank you Slide!

Edited by Goodman Models

On 4/22/2022 at 12:29 AM, Bolt said:

Good question ! I only got as far as SDF-2 markings on my models. So you're able to print your own letters and numbers or are you stenciling?

So the SDF-2 is MegaRoad-01, one being the class and one the ship of the line. I'm using the Megaroad-01 decal from the kit. The test of the codes I'm looking through my stash, maybe I'll be able to cobble it together. I have luck printing decal as, I may try that as well. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Here's an update on the VF-4; started decals on the nacelles. Waiting on a buddy to recreate the rear canopy in clear 3D printed resin and a buck for vacuum forming a replacement for the donor kit. Meanwhile I have been working on a RGM-79 sniper II prototype. thanks for checking in!

DSC05650.JPG

DSC05649.JPG

DSC05648.JPG

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Thanks for the kind words guys - I have to give credit to Ben Niederer. I don't know him, but I found his fan art profile on line and was really digging it! I wanted to change a few things, the Zentraedi kill counts and nose colour but the main inspiration came from his drawing.

post-9-24362-SVF_111CF.gif

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/22/2022 at 9:02 PM, Goodman Models said:

More decals added. It's just about done - touching up a few paint issues then a flat coat is next!

IMG_20221212_194838090.jpg

That came out fantastic. The color combination works really well on the VF-4.

What a great way to end 2022…Sundowners style.

On 12/14/2022 at 8:09 PM, Goodman Models said:

Thanks for the kind words guys - I have to give credit to Ben Niederer. I don't know him, but I found his fan art profile on line and was really digging it! I wanted to change a few things, the Zentraedi kill counts and nose colour but the main inspiration came from his drawing.

post-9-24362-SVF_111CF.gif

Really fantastic work! I love how you modified the artwork with the wavy color separation between the top and underside. Reminds me of the many Vietnam era and early ‘80s paint schemes.

I’ve been thinking about turning one of my models into a hypothetical brown “cannon fodder” scheme, adapted for the VF-4. I’ve been struggling with where to place the color separations, and I think Ben’s artwork will translate nicely into my concept. I may go with Skull Squadron tail markings as an update on the Skull brown VF-1 artwork in the Master File book.

Thanks for sharing this awesome project!

On 12/31/2022 at 10:12 PM, VF-1A Grunt said:

Really fantastic work! I love how you modified the artwork with the wavy color separation between the top and underside. Reminds me of the many Vietnam era and early ‘80s paint schemes.

I’ve been thinking about turning one of my models into a hypothetical brown “cannon fodder” scheme, adapted for the VF-4. I’ve been struggling with where to place the color separations, and I think Ben’s artwork will translate nicely into my concept. I may go with Skull Squadron tail markings as an update on the Skull brown VF-1 artwork in the Master File book.

Thanks for sharing this awesome project!

That sounds like a good project. Go for it!