PROJECT A-KO (any other fans out there?)

After watching Project A-ko again the other night I was wondering, are there any fans here on MW? 

While RT and then rapidly Macross brought me into Anime, Venus Wars, Cyber City Oedo 808 & Bubblegum Crisis got the ball rolling, Project A-ko is the movie that still really sticks with me after all these years... yes, despite C-ko being annoying. 

Lots of awesome mecha designs that could made awesome toys or models, sadly they only exist as rare garage kits. 

Your thoughts? 

I'm assuming you watched the awesome new blu-ray release made from the once thought lost film negatives. Discotek was in the process of upscaling the old LD master when someone found a cache of anime film negative gold.

They also found the masters we're getting the upcoming Madox-01 blu-ray from.

1 hour ago, Keith said:

I'm assuming you watched the awesome new blu-ray release made from the once thought lost film negatives. Discotek was in the process of upscaling the old LD master when someone found a cache of anime film negative gold.

They also found the masters we're getting the upcoming Madox-01 blu-ray from.

It's worth every penny! 

I still have the old VHS somewhere plus the DVD release. 

IMG_4014.JPG

6 hours ago, 505thAirborne said:

After watching Project A-ko again the other night I was wondering, are there any fans here on MW? 

While RT and then rapidly Macross brought me into Anime, Venus Wars, Cyber City Oedo 808 & Bubblegum Crisis got the ball rolling, Project A-ko is the movie that still really sticks with me after all these years... yes, despite C-ko being annoying. 

Lots of awesome mecha designs that could made awesome toys or models, sadly they only exist as rare garage kits. 

Your thoughts? 

Watching this on a CRT TV with my schoolmates, lol'ing when she steps on the missiles. Am a teen again.🤧🤧

All the DYRL references in there, hangar/space/itano missile/cockpit monitor scenes and the planes that looked like VF-4 valks esp from the bottom. I did feel a tinge of sadness watching this, somehow knowing the end of SDFM/Macross at that time.

My first anime was the world of the talisman/birth OVA, which i loved for the frantic action/animation touches. A-KO made that a full circle for me too, with all the crazy fight/POV animations. Not forgetting them fat big mecha robots too!

These A-KO songs plus a few others e.g. victory from BGC were my pick me up tunes haha...thanks for the memories again!

Edited by seti88

Oh, hell, yes. Project A-Ko was one of the first "true" anime I saw, at a time when in the UK there were something like a total of three anime available - this, "Akira", and "Fist of the North Star" [1]. For a long time, it was THE standard by which I judged other anime, and I wore the VHS tape to death. It took a while to realise not all anime was of that quality. I also loved how on each re-watching I'd pick up another Easter Egg - A-Ko goes to school with Lum, for example... 😃

I have the DVD from some while back but didn't realise there was a Blu-Ray release.

[1] Technically, there were some weird compilation tapes, various TV shows like "Battle of the Planets", and hybrids like "Mysterious Cities of Gold". And some mysterious people working out of a mythical place called Bangor doing something involving Bubblegum. Subtitled anime? That'll never catch on...

Edited by F-ZeroOne

22 minutes ago, Bolt said:

Loved this anime back in the day. It's amongst the classics of the golden age !

It's the ultimate IMO of rules do not apply in how to tell a story & not being afraid to film that scene. When A-ko lands on the Jets canopy, Legendary Fan Service! :D

8 hours ago, F-ZeroOne said:

Oh, hell, yes. Project A-Ko was one of the first "true" anime I saw, at a time when in the UK there were something like a total of three anime available - this, "Akira", and "Fist of the North Star" [1]. For a long time, it was THE standard by which I judged other anime, and I wore the VHS tape to death. It took a while to realise not all anime was of that quality. I also loved how on each re-watching I'd pick up another Easter Egg - A-Ko goes to school with Lum, for example... 😃

I have the DVD from some while back but didn't realise there was a Blu-Ray release.

[1] Technically, there were some weird compilation tapes, various TV shows like "Battle of the Planets", and hybrids like "Mysterious Cities of Gold". And some mysterious people working out of a mythical place called Bangor doing something involving Bubblegum. Subtitled anime? That'll never catch on...

I would highly recommend the Blu-ray, the picture quality is really really good! The Easter eggs in A-ko are epic! 

12 minutes ago, 505thAirborne said:

I would highly recommend the Blu-ray, the picture quality is really really good! The Easter eggs in A-ko are epic! 

Aside from the potential of a 4K release (as they did with Robot Carnival) it's doubtful anything will top the blu-ray release for quality.

Edited by Keith

The weird thing about some of the Easter Eggs in A-Ko was that, at the time, I recognised some of them (the alien Captain being based on Harlock, for example) but it would be literally decades later before I saw the anime they were referencing! I only knew them because of articles in “Anime UK” magazine. The Captains drinking makes much more sense now I’ve actually seen “Captain Harlock”… 😃

Love this anime, was on the list of which character I would get tattooed

(couldn't find any good designs on the internet at the time, hey it was 1998)

....still wouldn't mind obtaining an A-ko figure, but this was before merchandising an anime was at the level it is now, let alone the western market being as 'obtainable' as it is today

Edited by Nightbat

2 hours ago, Nightbat said:

....still wouldn't mind obtaining an A-ko figure, but this was before merchandising an anime was at the level it is now, let alone the western market being as 'obtainable' as it is today

I would love to see some properly/Highly detailed A-ko figures made, the old garage kits are ok but always room for improvement.

This kit would be so amazing with some major revamps. 

GK NT Models Project A-Ko The Mad Dash (A-Ko & C-Ko) 1/8 Resin (Rare &  Vintage) | eBay Respect A-ko! (Project A-ko) (reddit) respectthreads GIF

On 2/25/2022 at 12:36 PM, 505thAirborne said:

No photo description available.

No photo description available.

Money is tight these days but I would save up some serious $$$ if these existed in toy or kit form! 

I bought that book just for a better look at those!

Yeah, love Project A-ko. The mecha, the characters, the action. It's top notch.

It has been EONS since i watched this with my Brother. Wasn't A-Ko supposedly Superman and Wonder Women's first (or second born)? That's why she's so HYPER in that series... again, from what i vaguely recall...

3 hours ago, TehPW said:

It has been EONS since i watched this with my Brother. Wasn't A-Ko supposedly Superman and Wonder Women's first (or second born)? That's why she's so HYPER in that series... again, from what i vaguely recall...

There's definitely a nod to that in the first movie, A-ko's dad kind of looks like Clark Kent and her mom holds up a Wonder Woman shirt. Answers all of our questions on that subject. :lol::p

5 hours ago, F-ZeroOne said:

Ah, somehow I've never noticed that (A-Kos Mums apron)! Like I said, every time I see it... 😃Theres also a bit of a clue in the paper her Dads reading too...

Actually the first two pictures are from the first movie, the last picture is from Project A-KO FINAL. 

Not until I watched the blu-ray did I catch the Daily Planet newspaper. B))

2 hours ago, Nightbat said:

Now, I have to re-watch (of course :lol:) but wasn't there also a scene where she lost het bracelets/armbands which held back her full power?

Yuji Moriyama | Explore Tumblr Posts and Blogs | Tumgir

Ah yes, Project A-ko Cinderella Rhapsody :D

• 4 weeks later...

Oh, good grief, I had the original UK DVD release of that by... Kiseki? It was... lets just say, standards have improved.  😄

Article about the connection between "A-Ko" and another fan favourite from back in the day:

https://www.zimmerit.moe/project-ako-urusei-yatsura-connection/

I got the "A-Ko" Blu-Ray the other day, its excellent. Haven't had time to go through the extras yet though.

• 9 months later...

Besides the original film this is parts 2 & 3 remastered on Blu-ray by DISCOTEK, I haven't had a chance to watch these yet but the first movies sound & picture quality was top tier, I'm hoping these are just as good. B))

Eventually Project A-ko 4 (Final) should be available.

I've purchased all three from Rightstuf Anime, a solid store to order from. 

If you're new to A-ko, grab a copy here: https://www.rightstufanime.com/Project-A-ko-Blu-ray

On a different title I want to get GUNBUSTER on Blu-ray but I'll wait for the OVA's to be released vs. the current movie version. 

• 4 months later...