[Disney+] Chip 'n Dale: Rescue Rangers

Old_Nash

1 minute ago, Knight26 said:

Definite Roger Rabbit vibes, and looks like fun.  But I agree with @jenius, all those different animation styles may break my brain.  However, if they complete rip on the CalArts style I will cheer out loud.

A Gumball long episode XD

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I watched this tonight with my daughter, and we both loved it.  Her, because it was a cute cartoon movie.  Me, because I grew up on the Disney Afternoon and between the callbacks and cameos it there was a second layer to it for people like me.  Probably because the movie was made by people like me in the first place.  This wasn't yet another beloved childhood IP rebooted, this was more like a love letter to the original.

My son will want to see this. So I'll end up checking it out. 

On 2/15/2022 at 10:39 AM, Knight26 said:

However, if they complete rip on the CalArts style I will cheer out loud.

Lol. I loved that school back in the day 😎

11 hours ago, mikeszekely said:

This wasn't yet another beloved childhood IP rebooted, this was more like a love letter to the original.

A "love letter?"  🤨

I thought it showed tremendous disrespect to the original series, not only because the script was full of references to episodes that never even existed, but more importantly because there was no attempt to disguise John Mulaney and Andy Samberg's voices.  Chip 'n' Dale have used the same recording technique for over 75 years to give them their distinctive voices, yet they suddenly sound completely different here... and with absolutely no attempt to explain it, rationalize it, or address it whatsoever. 😒

And then there's the body horror suggested by Gadget having given birth to 42 half-insect, half-mammal offspring (not to mention the nauseating implication Gadget and Zipper had sexual intercourse)... 🤮

35 minutes ago, tekering said:

because there was no attempt to disguise John Mulaney and Andy Samberg's voices.  Chip 'n' Dale have used the same recording technique for over 75 years to give them their distinctive voices, yet they suddenly sound completely different here... and with absolutely no attempt to explain it, rationalize it, or address it whatsoever. 😒

They addressed it in like the first 10 minutes. The high pitched voices we're all more familiar with were their stage voices, and Mulaney and Samberg are their "real" voices.

37 minutes ago, tekering said:

And then there's the body horror suggested by Gadget having given birth to 42 half-insect, half-mammal offspring (not to mention the nauseating implication Gadget and Zipper had sexual intercourse)... 🤮

I honestly thought that part was hilarious. Then again, I'm a fan of Samberg and Schaffer's brand of humor going back to the early Lonely Island & SNL days.

I loved it! Easy 8/10 for me, 9/10 if I'm being generous. It was hilarious, well written, both new voices worked IMO, I've been a fan of Samberg since SNL, Lonely Island and Brooklyn 99! I really enjoyed it, it subverted expectations at times, poked fun at lots of little things, parodied some tropes, it was really well done. My only complaint is I couldn't help but think BIGMOUTH whenever Chip spoke. 

On 5/22/2022 at 8:37 AM, tekering said:

A "love letter?"  🤨

I thought it showed tremendous disrespect to the original series, not only because the script was full of references to episodes that never even existed, but more importantly because there was no attempt to disguise John Mulaney and Andy Samberg's voices.  Chip 'n' Dale have used the same recording technique for over 75 years to give them their distinctive voices, yet they suddenly sound completely different here... and with absolutely no attempt to explain it, rationalize it, or address it whatsoever. 😒

That stuff is pretty light compared to the disrespect of the child actor from that Peter Pan movie. Poor guy actually had his contract cancelled because the makeup gave him acne. Then he ended up penniless and homeless. And then after that a couple of kids found him dead. He wasn’t even identified, so he was buried in a nameless grave.

On 5/23/2022 at 7:29 PM, Big s said:

That stuff is pretty light compared to the disrespect of the child actor from that Peter Pan movie. Poor guy actually had his contract cancelled because the makeup gave him acne. Then he ended up penniless and homeless. And then after that a couple of kids found him dead. He wasn’t even identified, so he was buried in a nameless grave.

Yikes, didn't know that and kinda makes it weird after watching the film. That being said, the movie was way more clever than I expected and the folk behind it deserves a raise from Disney.

On 5/22/2022 at 11:37 AM, tekering said:

A "love letter?"  🤨

Agreed on all counts; I loved Rescue Rangers as a kid, and if this is a "love letter", then it must have been penned by the Marquis De Sade.

As for Gadget and Zipper... just no words. That concept alone is pretty disgusting, not to mention...

You know what? As far as I'm concerned, this "film" doesn't exist as far as I care, and it doesn't fit anywhere in with the series.

Edited by pengbuzz

On 5/23/2022 at 1:19 AM, mikeszekely said:

They addressed it in like the first 10 minutes. The high pitched voices we're all more familiar with were their stage voices, and Mulaney and Samberg are their "real" voices.

There is a brief flashback in the film that suggests this interpretation, when they're typing a script (!) and Dale offers a line of dialogue using his chipmunk voice...

1588786542_ScreenShot2022-06-01at12_51_13PM.png.211486a3899874a99a7fbbdea6851614.png

...but then there's a moment during a heated argument when they slip into high-pitched squeaks, which paradoxically suggests the traditional chipmunk sound is their "real" voices.

Either way, it's certainly never addressed in the film.

9 hours ago, pengbuzz said:

As far as I'm concerned, this "film" doesn't exist as far as I care, and it doesn't fit anywhere in with the series.

It was never supposed to.  This is a meta-film, establishing the original series as a work of fiction.  It could be considered a sequel to Who Framed Roger Rabbit?, but it certainly isn't intended as a sequel to Chip 'n' Dale's Rescue Rangers (despite the misleading title).

On 5/24/2022 at 8:29 AM, Big s said:

That stuff is pretty light compared to the disrespect of the child actor from that Peter Pan movie. Poor guy actually had his contract cancelled because the makeup gave him acne. Then he ended up penniless and homeless. And then after that a couple of kids found him dead.

If this bizarre non-sequitur concerns Bobby Driscoll, you're factually incorrect.  As accounted in Barbara Berch-Jamison's The Dangerous Years, "a severe case of acne accompanying the onset of puberty" required Driscoll to use heavy makeup for his performances on dozens of TV shows, which is cited as the reason why his contract with Disney wasn't extended an additional two years.  Nonetheless, he continued to appear regularly on TV and radio until his drug arrest in 1956, and his conviction for heroin use is what ruined his career.  His drug addiction (and a failed marriage) subsequently bankrupted him, and caused the heart failure that killed him.

I saw it, and admittedly fell asleep at parts, but it was basically a mockumentary that references your childhood, but doesn't really satisfy as either a Chip and Dale or Rescue Rangers film for fans of either. Definitely wouldn't call it a love letter.

I would love to see an actual Rescue Rangers movie. With way more Monty and Gadget.

Actually, since Disney is all in on the "Universe" strategy of movie making, can we do that for 80's cartoons? I wanna see Rescue Rangers, Gummi Bears, Ducktales, and Tailspin movies with crossover cameos in each. And all the other cartoons I'm forgetting.

12 hours ago, tekering said:

It was never supposed to.  This is a meta-film, establishing the original series as a work of fiction.  It could be considered a sequel to Who Framed Roger Rabbit?, but it certainly isn't intended as a sequel to Chip 'n' Dale's Rescue Rangers (despite the misleading title).

Well, I foresee it heading to the "meta" section of Wal-mart's 5-dollar bin in electronics.

4 hours ago, danth said:

Actually, since Disney is all in on the "Universe" strategy of movie making, can we do that for 80's cartoons? I wanna see Rescue Rangers, Gummi Bears, Ducktales, and Tailspin movies with crossover cameos in each. And all the other cartoons I'm forgetting.

Like they originally did with Darkwing Duck?

That show was ahead of its time.

I'm still a bit baffled some of you guys are getting weirded out about Gadget and Zipper, I mean, thinking about living cartoons procreating at all is frakking weird. Then there's the rabbit-hole of interspecies, I guess, relationships. Live action people with cartoons, you know that's a thing too.

2 hours ago, Tking22 said:

I'm still a bit baffled some of you guys are getting weirded out about Gadget and Zipper, I mean, thinking about living cartoons procreating at all is frakking weird. Then there's the rabbit-hole of interspecies, I guess, relationships. Live action people with cartoons, you know that's a thing too.

And with that line of reasoning ending any further meaningful discussion, I'm out of here!

Have fun y'all!

Edited by pengbuzz

On 6/1/2022 at 6:52 PM, Tking22 said:

Then there's the rabbit-hole of interspecies, I guess, relationships. 

That brought up a thought.  Would Roger be used for the Rabbit test if Jessica thought she was pregnant?  It does take place in the late forties or early fifties...