Nope - Jordan Peele movie

Old_Nash

Liked US and Get Out, and this looks like more of the same, so I'm down for a watch. While Peele's firmly in his wheelhouse with the humor, he deftly handles the creepy factor in his films, and much like Shyamalan's films, there's a revelatory nature to the narrative to tie all the pieces together. May not be everyone's cuppa, but I enjoy it.  Say what you will about either director, but I'd rather watch films like this with some thought behind them, and usually a message, than a mindless hack and slash film.

19 hours ago, Tking22 said:

I thought US had great performances, but the story was horribly stupid if you thought about it for more then five seconds. Get Out was fantastic though, I'm in, this looks pretty good. 

As a forever sci-fi junkie, I can suspend my disbelief pretty easily, in most cases, and just enjoy the film for what it is. 

Spoiler

The thing I enjoyed about Us was that I was so engrossed in the initial narrative of this family being stalked by the mom's doppelganger and the 'why' of it that I never saw the 'twist' coming.  Practically, the explanation makes no sense, but it's sci-fi, and the whole thing was done so well that I was able to just roll with it. Nope is looking promising, too. 

• 3 months later...
10 hours ago, Podtastic said:

At first glance I thought it said "Jordan Petersen movie." No idea what a Jordan Peel is.

As @tekering points out, Jordan Peel has proven himself as a writer and a filmmaker. In his early days, he started as an actor/comedian in the sketch comedy Mad TV. His recent works of fiction, horror, and sci-fi are unique in that they focus on the African American experience.

Edited by technoblue

12 hours ago, Podtastic said:

At first glance I thought it said "Jordan Petersen movie." No idea what a Jordan Peel is.

I’d recommend some Key and Peele. They had some great sketches. The one about the soccer flopping was great and the auction block is a crack up. The inner city hogwarts one is also worth checking out as well as the extras for walking dead sketch 

Jordan has proven himself to be adept at writing a cool and interesting take on the horror/sci-fi genre, with a lot of Black perspective and a bit of humor. Get Out and Us were both well done, and Nope looks to continue the trend of dark, quirky, funny, & suspenseful storytelling.  Looking forward to seeing it.

On 6/15/2022 at 8:53 PM, Big s said:

I’d recommend some Key and Peele. They had some great sketches. The one about the soccer flopping was great and the auction block is a crack up. The inner city hogwarts one is also worth checking out as well as the extras for walking dead sketch 

Ok will check it out.

Is it as good as Fry and Laurie?

56 minutes ago, tekering said:
3 hours ago, Podtastic said:

Is it as good as Fry and Laurie?

I don't actually think that's possible. 😋

I think that they’re almost polar opposite’s of the skit comedy thing. Fry and Laurie after watching a couple episodes is kinda the safe Monty python style of absurdity, while Key and Peele has a darker absurdity to it. Both seem to work in opposite ways. Personally I prefer Key and Peele, but I could easily see how someone else could equally prefer Fry and Laurie 

• 9 months later...