BattleStar Galactica

Myersjessee

As for people who don't like the show, I won't get into how detailed some of the arguments have been against the new BSG ( which means some detractors are probably watching the show far more closely than people who like it. Ironic huh?) I would just say there are some guys who didn't like this show 20-30 pages back in this thread and they are still talking about it. It doesn't make alot of sense if they keep disliking the show and will still be talking about it 20-30 pages down the road.

Um... I don't watch BSG. I watched some episodes of it. Even before BSG started, I heard some things about ron moore's 'glorious reimagined series' that made me dissapointed to be a BSG fan. To have Moore's travesty become first place over Richard Hatch's efforts is, in my opinion? Insulting.

Rather than modernize the series for a better audience while remaining true to the mythology and moralistic values, Moore walks all over the franchise's name with the muddy boots of moral indecency and disrespect. I mean, even some of the quotes used in Hatch's first episode on the new BSG seem to ridicule the former Apollo's attempts at reviving Galactica- calling him a 'washout' and a 'has been.' who has 'dissapeared and been forgotten.'

The Pegasas is just an excuse to cover for the concept artists' tragic blindness at making the 'Galactica' look like an incomplete warship. As for the PEgasas crew themselves, I'm only thankful that I didn't witness what is said in these reviews... though I probably would have just changed the channel anyway in disghust.

Oh, and we might as well safely assume that everybody's a cylon. From Adama to Baltar, Everyone's a Cylon. I mean, how can we tell otherwise? BSG is a conspiracy story now, in addition to some sci-fi space opera (Don't deny it moore, even if you claimed to break this trend). Maybe it's like the matrix, and the cylons in the new BSG are trying to wake everyone else up by killing them and freeing them from their pathetic cybernetic existances.

...wait, you beleived me? LOL! ...This isn't Galactica.

Edited by Boxer

As for people who don't like the show, I won't get into how detailed some of the arguments have been against the new BSG ( which means some detractors are probably watching the show far more closely than people who like it. Ironic huh?) I would just say there are some guys who didn't like this show 20-30 pages back in this thread and they are still talking about it. It doesn't make alot of sense if they keep disliking the show and will still be talking about it 20-30 pages down the road.

Um... I don't watch BSG. I watched some episodes of it. Even before BSG started, I heard some things about ron moore's 'glorious reimagined series' that made me dissapointed to be a BSG fan. To have Moore's travesty become first place over Richard Hatch's efforts is, in my opinion? Insulting.

Rather than modernize the series for a better audience while remaining true to the mythology and moralistic values, Moore walks all over the franchise's name with the muddy boots of moral indecency and disrespect. I mean, even some of the quotes used in Hatch's first episode on the new BSG seem to ridicule the former Apollo's attempts at reviving Galactica- calling him a 'washout' and a 'has been.' who has 'dissapeared and been forgotten.'

The Pegasas is just an excuse to cover for the concept artists' tragic blindness at making the 'Galactica' look like an incomplete warship. As for the PEgasas crew themselves, I'm only thankful that I didn't witness what is said in these reviews... though I probably would have just changed the channel anyway in disghust.

Oh, and we might as well safely assume that everybody's a cylon. From Adama to Baltar, Everyone's a Cylon. I mean, how can we tell otherwise? BSG is a conspiracy story now, in addition to some sci-fi space opera (Don't deny it moore, even if you claimed to break this trend). Maybe it's like the matrix, and the cylons in the new BSG are trying to wake everyone else up by killing them and freeing them from their pathetic cybernetic existances.

351180[/snapback]

Watch your old DVD's and get over it.

Edited by Gaijin

351180[/snapback]

Watch your old DVD's and get over it.

351188[/snapback]

Well put.

Yeah, what we need is an updated version of that hawk-guy. Also, I saw an episode on Sci-fi the other day, and I had forgotten how good Erin Gray looked back in the day...

350828[/snapback]

No kidding, she was uber hot. Sadly, I saw her (and Gil Gerard) here in Raleigh, NC last year and I didn't recognize either of them at first. I'm afraid age has not been kind to either of them... :(

Which reminds me! Who is that in your avatar, myk?

Yeah, what we need is an updated version of that hawk-guy. Also, I saw an episode on Sci-fi the other day, and I had forgotten how good Erin Gray looked back in the day...

350828[/snapback]

No kidding, she was uber hot. Sadly, I saw her (and Gil Gerard) here in Raleigh, NC last year and I didn't recognize either of them at first. I'm afraid age has not been kind to either of them... :(

Which reminds me! Who is that in your avatar, myk?

351197[/snapback]

She looked great to me back in June.

Whatever.

I'm just pissed off when people easily write off the old BSG as 'just another campy 70's show' and claim the new BSG is the greatest thing on television. I've seen this in more than one place, and I thought I might as well state that opinion, since it seems that everyone here loves the show, which clearly isn't the case.

I guess I should appologize then.

I"m not pissed, just annoyed. I can take the critism of some things, but the stuff that suprises me is the whines that this isn't like the old BSG. Well if you haven't figured it out by now, in the middle of the second season, then maybe you should be questioning your own logic instead of the show's. The other thing is the complaints that the story isn't going the way they want it to. That if they were the writer they would take it in this or that direction. Man, if these people knew how much lamer their ideas were then they would know why they're on a message board complaining instead of being on the writing staff of a successful series... a series more successful than the original, mind you.

I'm not here to knock the basic intellect of the average TV viewer in America, its just easier to enjoy a show like BSG for what it has to offer within the constraints of its own survival than to leave it because its not what you wish it would be.

350931[/snapback]

In the U.K we are for the most only able to get shows that have first been aired on the U.S T.V networks ( except for may be Red Dwarf and Doctor Who). We in the U.K are then at the mercy of what the American public and ultimately the networks think is good.

So many times in the past shows have been canned in the States whilst still very popular in the U.K. Im not complaining but it shows how different countries have different tastes. Half the reason Farscape went on as long as it did was because the BBC threw money at it to get Henderson and Fox to keep doing it.

One things for sure If you dont like Roslin, no prob she`s got terminal cancer, everyone Ive ever known with terminal cancer has died sooner or later, so why should she be different, unless she turns out to be a bloody toaster.

If the story followed the original series too closely it would have bombed by now even if it was polished and slick. It would be akin to watching Starwars for the 57th time expecting Obiwan to kill Vader this time round.

If you dont like the way the series is going dont watch, If your not sure the think of it as like a Robotech version of the original series similar but not the same, but with no Carl Macek and bad dubs.

Personally I take it as it is If you pick holes in all the T.V you watch then there will be not much if anything left that isnt open to some form of critic.

If you have a really good idea about the script then write it down and send it in you never know they may use it or give you a job eaither way you may be contributing to a great show.

Edited by big F

The problem with the old show was it was too cheezy, and the bad guys were kind of retarded. The problem with the new one is that it's too gritty-wanna-be, and the bad guys are so sinister and skeeming that they just can't kill that blasted ship already! :p Hopefully the new series will progress to the middle ground real soon. If you don't like the series, you could always think of it as BSG's DYRL.

Some of these complaints about characters now, I got to say, I got to ask, do you all get out that much?! (and this comming from me :rolleyes: ) I mean Tigh and his wife? Heck, that was my brother and his first girlfriend. Some of these relationships you guys are moaning about do happen in real life, and even alot stranger ones. I just don't want it to be the bulk of the show, that's all.

I doubt Rouslin's going anywhere - I'm sure when they run into Count Iblis or who/whatever replaces him, one of the things he does is fixes her...but I'm going to laugh so hard, fall, and crack my head open if she gets promptly stabbed or shot right after! :lol:

Speaking of which, I do seem to see a little bit of a split between the Cylons; their talking about God seems to signify that although they don't think to highly of humans, not all of them are believers. And where did they pick up this belief over their exile? Maybe it was them who ran into Iblis or something like him.

Also, someone help me - I remember on the into miniseries that Adama got a message saying there were 12 variants of the human Cylons. Where'd he get this from? I'm having problems finding mention of it.

So far they haven't mentioned who wrote the note. Most people think it was Baltar but you never know.

I also think that there are differnet factions in with the Cylons. Some seem to just want to wipe out humanity, some want to use people as breeding stock and/or follow "Gods" plan... and create the own Masia(spelling).....(Boomers child), and finally there may actually be a small faction that may want help the Humans....like possibly leaving that note.

Or it could just be the flesh -bots doing their own thing and the Machanicles doing another.

Chris

But look at Boomer, she shows signs of wanting to be a freindly Cylon, but then at any moment her real programming kicks in and she tries to kill some one. Realistically, if she were honorable, she'd kill her self. Or, the Glactica crew, to be humane, would leave her abandoned on some planet with supplies.

The way they seem to sympathize and feel bad for her strikes me as cheesy. Again, humanity is nearly extinct because of Cylons, she's a Cylon and what's worse is she's a human imitation. They'd revile her and all her copies. And they really wouldn't fall for the 'No! THIS copy really is trustorthy!' sentiment. That makes the Chief and Helo 100% dumbass's and Adama WAY to accomadating. Come to think of it, Cain should execute those fools ASAP. :ph34r:

What are the chances Pegasus blows Galactica from the skies? An renames the show Battle Star Pegasus?

Speaking of which, I do seem to see a little bit of a split between the Cylons; their talking about God seems to signify that although they don't think to highly of humans, not all of them are believers.  And where did they pick up this belief over their exile?  Maybe it was them who ran into Iblis or something like him.

351425[/snapback]

I think that's one of the over all mysteries of the show.
Also, someone help me - I remember on the into miniseries that Adama got a message saying there were 12 variants of the human Cylons.  Where'd he get this from?  I'm having problems finding mention of it.

351425[/snapback]

I asked the same thing, no one had an answer, just guesses.

What are the chances Pegasus blows Galactica from the skies? An renames the show Battle Star Pegasus?

351435[/snapback]

Well, from leaked scripts (which were posted in this thread a while back), we know that the Pegasus does make it intact. But in what capacity? And what role does it then take in the fleet? I am exceptionally curious about that.

I don't see different factions of Cylons, rather, I see different levels of programming for the Cylons, based on their level of infiltration into human society. 6 for example, is 100% loyal to the Cylons. Her distaste towards humans is obvious and her desire to further the Cylon cause is also just as obvious. It would be safe to assume that you won't find too many of her among the humans. On the other hand you have Boomer, who doesn't seem to have the strength, either physically or in regards to her devotion to the Cylon cause.

I believe that lack of strength and devotion to be part of her design though, to further her ability to infiltrate and gain the trust of the human race. To the humans, Boomer appears to be a conflicted creature who deserves pity and forgiveness; humans after all are always full of compassion and forgiveness. In the end, her Cylon programming will take over and she'll betray Adama or anyone else. Any assistance that she renders to the humans will only serve to set them up for a probably greater fall in the end.

-Aren't there about 7 more models? There could be alot more story in the future...

Also, someone help me - I remember on the into miniseries that Adama got a message saying there were 12 variants of the human Cylons.  Where'd he get this from?  I'm having problems finding mention of it.

351425[/snapback]

I asked the same thing, no one had an answer, just guesses.

351446[/snapback]

Actually I DID answer it. Nobody knows yet. It has never been stated.

Chris

Seems like the region 1 BSG - season 2 DVD set containing the first 10 episodes from season 2 has been released already.

That sort of crept in under the radar (or should I say Dradis :D). I'd heard no news about it previously.

As much as I want to own the series on DVD, I'm in two minds about buying this box set, as it only contains the 10 episodes aired so far, when we all know that eventually, they will release a complete season 2 set, which will probably be cheaper than buying this half set and the other half set I'm sure they will release next year.

Graham

Rumor has it that the cliffhanger is extended by about 30 minutes or so. I'll post more 'info if I can find it...

Rumor has it that the cliffhanger is extended by about 30 minutes or so.  I'll post more 'info if I can find it...

352264[/snapback]

That's what I heard as well. The commentary for the episode said it would contain most of the cut footage. I'm looking forward to it, but I hadn't heard that the set's supposedly out.

I found this however on the Scifi boards.

I got it from Half.com about a week ago (15.99, too!). I hadn't watched it until two nights ago however, and I was eagerly awaiting Pegasus. But the longer version is a no show.

What was frustating more, though, was the extra scenes were not even included as deleted scenes. Two episodes worth of deleted scenes, but not a single one from Pegasus.

However, it didn't hit me until last night that this might be becasue of the recent news of "Ressurection Ship" being expanded to two hours. It's possible they moved some of the extra scenes into these two episodes and just removed a few entirely because of inconsistencies.

So who knows at this point.

Well I will leave it to you guys on the other side of the pond to let me know which one I should go for. well looks like they may double dip it but thats o.k as long as the posible planned box set with all the episodes on has everyting the box set with the first 10 episodes does. Eaither way us British type will have to wait till 2099 till we get a release over here.

There's something that crossed my mind this morning.

What if the attack on the colonies was to the Cylons what Pearl Harbor was to the Japanese?

I mean, we haven't seen any proof that the Cylons have an inmense fleet in the backyard a la Zentraedi just waiting for the order to reduce the Galactica and her fleet to smithereens.

A couple of basestars here and there, troops on Caprica, some infiltrators, and some couple thousand nukes for the planets.

We're talking about a civilization that lost a huge war (probably in a similar way to how the Galactica was driven out of the colonies) and after spending forty years somewhere else (during which they obviously dedicated a LOT of their resources to R&D, something very costly and time consuming - even if only for the humanlike cylons) launch an sneak attack.

Probably a sneak attack was the only option they had to destroy the colonies. Even 40 years is not enough time to build a military force strong enough to overpower another huge military force already built and somewhat expanding. 120 Battlestars at the time of the attack - even if the fleet was only the Battlestars and not the ships and their task force, considering what a Battlestar is assumed to be able to do alone, thats quite a lot of punch.

In an one on one mano a mano fleet vs fleet fight, taking into consideration what the decomissioned Galactica and 40 years old Vipers have proven able to do, I think the organized colonial fleet would have kicked the cylons back to being microwaves and toasters.

So, I think there is not really a great Cylon military threat. They are too stretched out maintaining some kind of control over the colonies, reconstructing them, making some more R&D with the humans there, gathering resources and reminding the Galactica they are there (plus whatever damage the Pegasus and resistence groups might have done in the way - depending on where and when they hit it might have been quite serious).

The only way they obliterated the Colonial Fleet was because of the virus, surprise factor and higher mobility of their own fleet (long range jump systems) to use those other two factors - a perfect blitzkrieg.

Pegasus, surviving the initial attack and overcoming those factors (and using surprise and mobility itself) was able to run rampant for months alone and, if we are to believe the tale from the XO about that suicidal attack, being able to cause some major damage on their own.

Of course, they could still kill Galactica, Pegasus and the ragtag Fleet if they wanted, but they are their little lab rats ^_^

Now, what I think is that the longer the Colonials take to find Earth, the more they are screwed. Even if not technologically advanced, at least the planet gives them resources to build things and men to use them. Probably in a couple of years they would be strong enough to launch their own sneak attack, or most likely, fight a guerilla war to drive the cylons out of the Colonies (or at least keep them off the Solar System) while they build up their own strenght - before the cylons are too strong and too rooted in the Colonies to be able to invade Earth and that's it.

Damn, that would be history repeating itself :blink:

Edit: Reread all I wrote. Minor corrections, and some clarifications. Requalified myself as geek. Yeaaaaaaaaah. B))

Edited by Lindem Herz

Very valid points Lindem.

You could say that even if they had some vast production plant churning out centurians 24/7 that they would still not have the massive of force they would need. We have seen that the ships and obviously the infiltration cylons are organic. Even delving in the relm of sci fi organic matter takes time to grow. A simple bacteria takes hours to duplicate its self even when the conditions are ideal for it. So a whole body or control organisum for a ship could take months.

The only way you could get round that would be to devote massive reasources to the task. Even if you tasked all your metal cylons to the job as they came off the assembly line you`d still be running up hill. Lager work force requires larger reasources and power e.t.c.

I think Its safe to say that the Cylon Organic force is smallish. The tin Cylons may be a different matter thay are cannon fodder after all. Production line tactics and limitted intelligence is advatagious when building something like that.

You could say that the 40 years thay were away the first 10 years was probably spent gathering numbers and research into new models the old 80`s style Centurions would have been rather busy. Hopefully they had something like a Lucifer to help them as they always were a bit dimm..

So say 30 years to bulid factories and gather raw materials make prototypes refine the designs and build mass armies and huge BaseStars would be kinda hard

They could of cause have some all fixing nano virus that turns carbon based humans and other carbon based stuff into silicon based orgaincs. They did that sort of thing in Star Trek a few times. The simple injection or airbourne nano insersion and et voilla que special effects department and a few hours later you have oven ready Cylons which could be a whole ship worth. (think borg tactics).

Might be way off the mark but I think the writers have a few suprises up their collective sleves, we will have to wait and see..

Edited by big F

The Season 2.0 (1st half of season 2) DVD set does not contain the Pegasus Extended cut version as originally intended...they could not get it ready in time for the DVD. But....it will appear on the second half of the 2.5 set...so you will wind up getting both the aired and extended cut version in the long run. Not the best solution, but it does give you both versions since most people will pick up the second half of the season as well.

The set does contain some sneak peaks at the second half of season 2. Nice scenes...looks interesting.