Unpopular Opinion: The final song in DYRL drags on wayyy to much.

LilM_1985

4 hours ago, LilM_1985 said:

Huge fan of the film tho that last sequence isnt the best in terms of music. The visuals are outstanding however. 

You are correct.....

..........it *IS* an unpopular opinion!  Ai Oboete Imasu ka rocks!

Edited by isamu

6 hours ago, LilM_1985 said:

Huge fan of the film tho that last sequence isnt the best in terms of music. The visuals are outstanding however. 

... you weren't kidding, that's an Unpopular Opinion.

The description from this YouTube video post says otherwise. ;)

One of the best 5 anime movie scenes ever made in history, excellent animation despite being from 1984, excellent song... just perfect :D
Watch in full HD 1080p ! ;D enjoy!

Burn the heretic!!

Seriously though, I like the song. Admittedly, it the only Minmay song that I actually like (though Shao Pai Long and My Boyfriend's a Pilot tend to get stuck in my head. Often).

Still. Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Edited by camk4evr

On 1/21/2022 at 7:04 AM, LilM_1985 said:

Considering that the song is essentially the title of the movie, could you please clarify why you feel the music isn't "the best"?

My opinion (which may or may not be correct, but is mine: I feel the song is a beautiful counterpoint to the carnage and destruction of the final battle going on. A distant memory of love set to music ; a story of when someone first met their love and the feelings in their heat when it happened. It is a memory which had been all but erased from the Zentraedi by their masters, but was now reaching out in song to those same individuals and reminding them that they too are human. It captures perfectly the spirit of the heart in love, and the desire to continue on and cherish that love in the face of all obstacles and opposition.

During Hikaru's flight to the center of Boldoza's fortress, the music serves an even greater anchor to us, as love is an even more powerful force than hatred, revenge or the frigid machinations of the Zentran commander. His love for Misa and those closest to him (along with his duty and desire to protect what remains of Earth's people) drive him on to his confrontation with the cold, merciless "living computer" that Boldoza has become. And it is this powerful force that drives Hikaru to his destiny and steels him in the face of overwhelming odds, allowing him to steady his hand and sharpen his focus to bring Boldoza to an abrupt end.

Yes, the song is long; but why is that a bad thing? Shouldn't the music last as long as the scene needs it to?

The story of Macross itself (as pointed out some time back in another thread by Seto Kaiba) is not about war, but war is the background to the main story. And that story is about a young man who is divided in his feelings between two women and ends up having to choose one or the other. Macross has always been about the people in the shows and movies, with the best stories being about their trials, successes and failures, their flaws and foibles, their heroism and sacrifice, courage and cowardices, and yes, even their goofs and flubs.

And indeed their treasured moments, hopes and fears and their love.

So your opinion is that "that last sequence isnt the best in terms of music"; mine is that a "battle music" track or hard rocking score would have destroyed the moment.  Even dramatic orchestral music would have ruined the scene and not delivered the emotional punch and heartfelt stirrings that this song does. And that moment is a triumph of the human heart and spirit in one of the most conceivably dire of all circumstances for the human race: near-extinction at the hands of a malevolent enemy.

With that said: yes, yours is an unpopular opinion, and that is because I feel it misses the point of Macross as a whole. If you want a "shoot'em up", I'm sure there are other anime franchises to fill that particular need. But Macross' story is different, and it indeed crosses time and space in that regard. Without this, the SDF-1 is nothing more than a giant robot, as are the Valkyries. What truly brings both to life are the people who live and work in both, and are the real story of the series and the movie.

Or, it all of this is TL;DR for you, then let me sum it all up in one emoji:

😛

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...