Michael Lee Aday, AKA Meatloaf, was an unlikely rock musician given his beefy physique in a time when most rockers were whip thin.  His partnership with uber-talented musician and lyricist Jim Steinman, who passed in April of 2021, was one of those rare bits of serendipity that left an indelible mark on rock music. I was introduced to Meatloaf's music as a kid in the 80s, and I've been a fan for a good chunk of my 50 years.  Although he's known for his bombastic vocals, more than a musician, Meatloaf was a performer. He acted in films and on stage, having even done Shakespeare. A great deal of that acting informed his musical performances as well; the guy was really in his element on stage. In interviews, he was candid and down-to-earth, just a cool guy with a lot of life experience, not all of it good, that he shared nonetheless.  It's a sad day for the passing of one of Rock's more unique talents, and the world is poorer for his loss. RIP Meatloaf. 

Edited by M'Kyuun

Alas, no more Meat

The first tape I ever played as a little boy, and I played it until the pitch dropped noticeably from the tape stretching 

On 1/22/2022 at 3:38 AM, Big s said:

I guess I’ll never know what it was he wouldn’t do

But my good sir, then you haven't paid enough attention to Mr. Steinman's story

11 hours ago, DewPoint said:

Because... Two Out of Three Ain't Bad.

Unfortunately, Heaven couldn't wait anymore

His music will endure, sure as sure...

13 hours ago, Atheonyirh said:

Turns out it was that he wouldn't get vaccinated. Oops.

3 hours ago, Thom said:

I really hope that not true, because nothing is sadder than dying from something that is preventable!

His agent hasn't identified his cause of death.  He was vocally anti-vax and opposed to COVID safety restrictions.  

TMZ and one or two other entertainment outlets reported he'd been hospitalized with a severe case of COVID, but those reports were unconfirmed.

6 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

His music will endure, sure as sure...

His agent hasn't identified his cause of death.  He was vocally anti-vax and opposed to COVID safety restrictions.  

TMZ and one or two other entertainment outlets reported he'd been hospitalized with a severe case of COVID, but those reports were unconfirmed.

Just disappointing that - if that is true - then he basically took himself out.

On 1/24/2022 at 2:55 PM, Thom said:

I really hope that not true, because nothing is sadder than dying from something that is preventable!

I cannot consider someone dying because of him/her exercising their freedom of choice/right to bodily autonomy to be sad

I wouldn't consider it a smart thing, but who am I to judge? I smoke, ride a motorcycle and have not been vaccinated

7 minutes ago, Nightbat said:

I cannot consider someone dying because of him/her exercising their freedom of choice/right to bodily autonomy to be sad

I wouldn't consider it a smart thing, but who am I to judge? I smoke, ride a motorcycle and have not been vaccinated

But we can consider them no longer being around to contribute to this world with their gifts , talents, personality and heart sad.

1 hour ago, Nightbat said:

Yes, but that was not the premise of the statement

True though. I wear my seat belt when I drive. If I didn't and I died in a crash because of it, that's my fault, and again, something preventable. The same reason why I'm vacced. I don't want to catch it, and I don't want to spread it, and certainly not to my elderly mother and father. Meatloaf's death is even sadder now because of his choice.

On 1/30/2022 at 6:38 AM, Nightbat said:

Admittedly, I don't consider someone willingly refusing to do common sense, easy, safe things during a pandemic to avoid being infected and/or infecting others and dying for it to be all that sad either. I ran out of empathy for that sort of person sometime last year.

• azrael locked this topic