Moderoid Model Series by Good Smile

M'Kyuun

20 hours ago, Big s said:

While Bandai plays it safe as far as their franchises, Moderoid is far more adventurous. And even more completionist

The quality suffers, though. A lot of the Moderoid kits feel like they were designed in the 80s with a lack of poly caps and design choices (specifically the knees) that make painting more complicated than they should be. I don't mind the prices, but the design choices need to improve. 

(started the MADOX-01 kit a couple nights ago and got tired of it after 30 minutes or so, which is my usual Moderoid experience)

It's not Goodsmile's fault Khara are letting everyone and their mama take a turn on the town bicycle at a model kit. :lol: I will say it would be tons of fun to compare all the various kit renditions, see the different engineering decisions that go into depicting the same thing.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, hachi said:

I'm drooling at the Nirvash and Raxhephon. Not sure if I'll still want them when they become available though haha.

mwf_2023-01-14_moderoid.PNG

Oooooh. Galvion. Garland. And Orguss. :wub: 

I wish down the line they consider doing Juohmaru. ;) 

I was not expecting to see Iczer-Robo getting a release as a plastic kit. I hope that means that we'll be seeing an Iczer-Sigma kit some time down the road! Another surprise announcement was the TechnoVoyager vehicles. I'm also happy to see that they doing Rahxephon since I was never able to get my hands on the Bandai kit when it was released over twenty years ago. Last, but not least, with the announcement of the Garland from Megazone 23, I hope that we'll be seeing some of the other mecha from it, particularly the Wilde Sau from part 2.

4 hours ago, hachi said:

So my Viola Katze is shipping soon. However, I think the matte look is boring. Would it be better to do a gloss top coat? I don't plan on painting it as I don't have the time (and I have never painted a kit before).

image.png.4de11a566e5da5e791c2cdc92fcd156d.png

I think they did a dull look to contrast with the bright green parts, but you could always try a gloss coat if you don’t like it. And if you end up hating the gloss, you could easily add a spray of dull coat as long as you mask the clear parts. If you’re not used to masking off parts, try eraser putty. It forms like clay to the parts you want to leave alone and is slightly sticky and totally reusable 

15 hours ago, Big s said:

I think they did a dull look to contrast with the bright green parts, but you could always try a gloss coat if you don’t like it. And if you end up hating the gloss, you could easily add a spray of dull coat as long as you mask the clear parts. If you’re not used to masking off parts, try eraser putty. It forms like clay to the parts you want to leave alone and is slightly sticky and totally reusable 

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

My first Moderoid kit. I hope the final product looks half as good as the promotional pics, as I'm not sure the plastic colors capture the pale gold color of Valimar. Looks like I have something to do for my next few free nights. :)

2083989739_valimarbox.jpg.58428b1486ac1c817f8e8a851d16c93c.jpg

Saw from @no3Ljm's earlier post that Ordine is coming too, so looking forward to that release as well.

On 1/15/2023 at 6:28 PM, no3Ljm said:

image.jpeg

Ok, this is something I never expected to see.  I would totally buy up an entire line of Gridman kits.  My younger brother had a few of the Samurai Syber Squad (yes it was spelled that way) toys, and I never watched the show, but they always had fun transformations/combinations.

4 hours ago, Lolicon said:

My first Moderoid kit. I hope the final product looks half as good as the promotional pics, as I'm not sure the plastic colors capture the pale gold color of Valimar. Looks like I have something to do for my next few free nights. :)

2083989739_valimarbox.jpg.58428b1486ac1c817f8e8a851d16c93c.jpg

Saw from @no3Ljm's earlier post that Ordine is coming too, so looking forward to that release as well.

I don’t have that one, so I can’t really comment on how it’s gonna look other than there will probably be some seam lines that aren’t in the promo pictures and it may just be plastic metallics, so if you’re any good at airbrushing it will probably help.

for the metallic parts , a few weeks ago there was a video on YouTube where barbatos Rex had found a durable chrome recipe that sounds pretty cool. I don’t remember exactly which metal it was, but I believe it was mr color super metallic steel and then super thinned down like a 5 to one ratio and somehow having it over thinned made it into a mirror chrome look. Since it’s a lacquer paint it also made it highly resistant to scratches and since it’s something like a five to one ratio it’s like taking that little paint bottle and multiply ing the amount by five, so it saves cash. Then if you want something like a gold you can go over it with a mix of clear yellow and clear orange. I gotta find that video again, cause it seems pretty simple and cost effective. I think it said that the process unfortunately didn’t work for the gold in that line, but at least you can candy the chrome to make a nice gold 

4 hours ago, Big s said:

I don’t have that one, so I can’t really comment on how it’s gonna look other than there will probably be some seam lines that aren’t in the promo pictures and it may just be plastic metallics, so if you’re any good at airbrushing it will probably help.

for the metallic parts , a few weeks ago there was a video on YouTube where barbatos Rex had found a durable chrome recipe that sounds pretty cool. I don’t remember exactly which metal it was, but I believe it was mr color super metallic steel and then super thinned down like a 5 to one ratio and somehow having it over thinned made it into a mirror chrome look. Since it’s a lacquer paint it also made it highly resistant to scratches and since it’s something like a five to one ratio it’s like taking that little paint bottle and multiply ing the amount by five, so it saves cash. Then if you want something like a gold you can go over it with a mix of clear yellow and clear orange. I gotta find that video again, cause it seems pretty simple and cost effective. I think it said that the process unfortunately didn’t work for the gold in that line, but at least you can candy the chrome to make a nice gold 

Thanks for the tip! Yeah I looked over the runners and it's going to take extensive painting to make it look anything like the pictures on the box. The kit is essentially one step above molding everything in one color and expecting people to paint everything. In short, it ain't no gunpla kit. The base color of the plastic is wrong, and all that fancy gold trim will need to be either hand-painted or masked and airbrushed by a masking pro. Doesn't even use clear pieces for the green orbs; they're just painted green.

So it's on hold till I can round up the materials to build it properly. :unknw:

50 minutes ago, Lolicon said:

Thanks for the tip! Yeah I looked over the runners and it's going to take extensive painting to make it look anything like the pictures on the box. The kit is essentially one step above molding everything in one color and expecting people to paint everything. In short, it ain't no gunpla kit. The base color of the plastic is wrong, and all that fancy gold trim will need to be either hand-painted or masked and airbrushed by a masking pro. Doesn't even use clear pieces for the green orbs; they're just painted green.

So it's on hold till I can round up the materials to build it properly. :unknw:

It looks mostly silver from the box art with gold trim. If you end up using that chrome technique, and if you’re skilled with brush painting, then you could just use that yellow orange clear mix over the trim.

I know masking those fancy lines will definitely take some serious skills, but maybe using eraser putty could also work. It’s kinda sticky and remoldable so you might be able to get in there easier than with masking tape if you plan on airbrushing or spraying the trim. 
either way looks like some serious work and I wish you luck and hope that you post the results