2 hours ago, Podtastic said:

Well your Southern Cross hero mecha are going to need an enemy to fight.😄

Do you have any plans to try and make the hovertank happen? It got quite close last time.

I think I'd still be in for one in vehicular mode.🤨

Spartas is projected for 2023. I'm loathe to initiate more than one SC project per year, just because the market is so small and easy to overtax. If I can get the necessary minimum orders, I'll make it.

12 hours ago, captain america said:

Spartas is projected for 2023. I'm loathe to initiate more than one SC project per year, just because the market is so small and easy to overtax. If I can get the necessary minimum orders, I'll make it.

:lazy:

:blink:

:unsure:

:ohmy:

:)

:D

:yahoo:

You can put me down for at least two, maybe more if I can talk my brother (a fellow Robotech fan, and thus a man of excellent taste) into one.  TBH, I'm glad you're putting it off another year.  I've gotta save for my upcoming vacation first ^_^

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/29/2022 at 12:58 AM, tekering said:

I see @Podtastic continues to bankroll these projects, thus offsetting the cost for the rest of us, increasing the demand for a scale Hovertank, and ensuring the alien bad guys continue their galactic domination.  Kudos, my friend. :good:

I still have some projects that I hope Cap will take on, but Co-vid is not helping as you would imagine. 😟

1067.png.png.e19c99aa70a20a7021bae6e53019a28e.png

Be great to see your build when its done. Be awesome to see it next to completed Gosu. 😁

Edited by Podtastic

• 1 month later...

And so it has begun...

Bug01.jpg.acf5296e0c1c2f85226dda613fc0908a.jpg

Bug02.jpg.f0a0f2b583bf60bea4e05aa394a87f10.jpg

I've replaced all of the joints except in the waist and knees. It will also be able to be displayed with the chest open or closed. I will just have to pop in the cockpit when I want it open and take it out when I want it closed.

6 hours ago, Boobytrap said:

I will just have to pop in the cockpit when I want it open and take it out when I want it closed.

Hmm, demon cue ball or stress-relieving wari-ball?  :D

Love what you're doing with it.  I'm still not brave enough to try mine yet :unsure:

12 hours ago, Boobytrap said:

I've replaced all of the joints except in the waist and knees.

Given how gappy the waist and knee joints look in your pics, I'd say they need replacing as well... :unsure:

12 hours ago, Boobytrap said:

It will also be able to be displayed with the chest open or closed. I will just have to pop in the cockpit when I want it open and take it out when I want it closed.

That sounds like an imminently practical solution. 👍

6 hours ago, CoryHolmes said:

I'm still not brave enough to try mine yet :unsure:

I haven't even received mine yet!  You guys are lucky you don't live on the other side of the planet. 😑

10 hours ago, tekering said:

You guys are lucky you don't live on the other side of the planet. 

I live on the other side of the planet, but the only reason I have mine alteady is because I am compelled to use an expensive courier service (although courier in transit armed robberies are becoming a thing now too) to avoid postal theft.

Edited by Podtastic

14 hours ago, DewPoint said:

Package theft and even shipping container theft happens all over the world.  Your area of the world seem to be a bit more exciting in that regard...  :vava:

Only in the last decade or so has it become such an issue over here. It was unthinkable that even a letter would go missing when I was growing up. The postal tannies would never allow such shame to fall upon them

But hey if you want exciting theft then hacking down street lights and carting them off in broad daylight is becoming a thing too...😝

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 6/14/2022 at 10:26 PM, Ignacio Ocamica said:

Turned out great!!!!

With apologies to @Convectuoso, it really didn't. 😒

The green color was a good choice, and the red is pretty close, but the orange... isn't. 🤨

More importantly, I see the same problem inherent with other Duck Model builds is just as prevalent here: the limbs aren't correctly attached.

Dare to compare:

675210715_Duckfail.jpg.69dd02880db9c0e383295c9eaa61bd48.jpg

I avoided commenting until I had my own kit in-hand for comparison -- and I had commissions to complete before I could devote time to it -- but now that I've begun assembling the "Hemorroid," I can objectively criticize Duck's work.  The thighs are floating above the knees (leaving visible gaps), and their ball-joints don't appear to be fitted properly to the torso, either.  This makes the thighs appear too long, too thin, and much too far apart.  Worse still, it pushes the "skirt" armour out to the sides at an oblique angle, which forces the arms to hang at such an awkward position that they look broken at the bicep joint.  The chest pipes are flared out (rather than hanging down), the knee segments are the wrong color, and the shoulders are at completely incongruent positions. 🙄

As this was the first painted sample to have appeared online (and still the only completed one I've seen to date), I'm concerned by how badly it misrepresents Moscato's design.  If I were @captain america, I'd be upset to see my work presented in such a manner.  I admire his restraint, having refrained from commenting personally...  I don't think I could be as magnanimous. 

I just hope I can do justice to his work, 'cause these are fabulous kits. :good:

425881039_thecrouch.jpg.5c075bd5203f0ff0db997bf3c46f72f4.jpg

For anyone else needing proper reference, I'm happy to share my color model sheets. 😇

1079529738_BugFacecolormodel.jpg.3dd11d4415092e2755ec7363814b177d.jpg

1109320943_Hemorroidcolormodel.jpg.3c14781198d1c8cafbb1a268a3129342.jpg

These are the colors I'm testing:

292539586_colortest.jpg.10c718a4c3abc4cacf0c80d0e41fa85d.jpg

Not at all, man.  Different Bioroid, different thread. 😊

I'm actually grateful to have that Duck Models build for reference as I move forward with my own Hemorroid, as it shows pitfalls to avoid and opportunities for improvement.  The lenses in the head represent one such opportunity, since our erstwhile Captain was thoughtful enough to make them separate pieces:

1638429000_separatelenses.jpg.e6fefef6f378fe026e9edb6a068916d3.jpg 

By using those pieces as a buck, I could make transparent versions using the ol' "heat and smash" method.

86778313_transparentlenses.jpg.47b2a8d70440d4cd7494b74eef55bb81.jpg

Hey, Ted. I so enjoy seeing your building progress, especially that these Lloyds are some of my best work and very challenging models to build. I would have liked to offer visor pieces molded in traslucent resin, but the workload was already very high, and the lenses are just pure black in all the shots I remember, so I determined the extra complexity was unwarranted. That being said, I'm curious to see what greeblies you plan to stuff behind the vac-formed parts.

Also, in case anyone is wondering...image.jpeg.287edc67c4d39ffbe7a001e73673746d.jpeg

15 hours ago, captain america said:

image.jpeg.287edc67c4d39ffbe7a001e73673746d.jpeg

Au contraire, mon Capitaine!

1622166743_aucontraire.jpg.be6080f9f162fe9d990267c381c5e2f1.jpg

I filled it in. 

1581988918_backoftheneck.jpg.9286c00b19a9c3d4a6912663515a189f.jpg

As far as I can tell, it's a lot more anime-accurate that way.

1411868431_spyingfrombehind.jpg.e0872d1c4e40940d2d595c55c8e4268c.jpg

It's just how I see it, of course...

682798806_lookingovertheshoulder.jpg.127ebf8a761d2d8173075b46bca31f1f.jpg

...and you may well disagree.

180701538_threefingersA.jpg.5f2e8995a2925403278958e9ff929837.jpg

We all know how inconsistent the animation was...

247852414_upperback.jpg.9cbab6daa41f6cb07ec1603d659ae34c.jpg

...but I think there's enough onscreen evidence to support my interpretation.

I think I've given-up on Anime accuracy with anything to do with the Bioroids. It's all just biomechanical gummy bears, jellybeans and jello as far as I'm concerned. The style-guide artists bear the guilt, and the animators commit yet greater atrocities, still! :lol: Nonetheless, I look forward to seeing the build progress. Judging from the Biopsycher knee pics, you're further along on that one than the Bug Face unit.

On 8/28/2022 at 11:17 AM, tekering said:

Dare to compare:

675210715_Duckfail.jpg.69dd02880db9c0e383295c9eaa61bd48.jpg

I avoided commenting until I had my own kit in-hand for comparison -- and I had commissions to complete before I could devote time to it -- but now that I've begun assembling the "Hemorroid," I can objectively criticize Duck's work.  The thighs are floating above the knees (leaving visible gaps), and their ball-joints don't appear to be fitted properly to the torso, either.  This makes the thighs appear too long, too thin, and much too far apart.  Worse still, it pushes the "skirt" armour out to the sides at an oblique angle, which forces the arms to hang at such an awkward position that they look broken at the bicep joint.  The chest pipes are flared out (rather than hanging down), the knee segments are the wrong color, and the shoulders are at completely incongruent positions. 🙄

As this was the first painted sample to have appeared online (and still the only completed one I've seen to date), I'm 

I see the ill fitted parts and wonky proportions now that I've got more time to examine the pics. Was initially excited to see the first completed kit.

Duck has the skills to do it right so I guess Convectuoso can get his kit redone where needed.

Looking forward to see more progress of your "Hemorroid" (actually I don't 🤣)

On 9/1/2022 at 5:22 AM, captain america said:

I've given-up on Anime accuracy with anything to do with the Bioroids.

I don't blame you there! 😅

I'm sure you'll find the Spartas much easier, both because of the more angular features and proper style guides to work from.

On 9/1/2022 at 5:22 AM, captain america said:

Judging from the Biopsycher knee pics, you're further along on that one than the Bug Face unit.

Quite a bit further, actually...

1783433700_decaltest.jpg.c73c2a9bd68dfe46b63a6cac83caccd4.jpg

Given the more advanced nature of these 'roids, I've devised a more advanced pattern of decals for 'em.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...