A Robotech comics of Zentraedi fighting the Invid.

Invid99

I'll be that guy and note that particular Invid doesn't show up till New Generation (yes, the comics did retcon that too but it is hard to keep straight what is and is not cannon, other than it changes even to not include the show at times).  More important - is that Breetai?  And if so why does he look like he is in an Achie comic book, Jughead Breetai is all I can think now.

I think instead of changing the existing Invid mecha size, I would rather add the Overlord and Ranger class mecha to be as big as the Regult to fight the Zentraedi. 

Invidoverlord.jpg

Invid_Ranger.jpg

Edited by Invid99

2 hours ago, danth said:

Anyway, this happened in the old Genesis: Legend of Zor comics:

KIX10qY.png

I don't have the actual comics so I don't know how much more actual fighting is depicted.

Nice! I've seen the page too when I google Invid-Zentraedi. 

2 hours ago, danth said:

KIX10qY.png

I don't have the actual comics so I don't know how much more actual fighting is depicted.

I had that graphic novel back in the day, might actually still have it tucked away somewhere, I see it at used bookstores and comic shops often enough.  

46 minutes ago, Invid99 said:

I think instead of changing the existing Invid mecha size, I would rather add the Overlord and Ranger class mecha to be as big as the Regult to fight the Zentraedi. 

Invidoverlord.jpg

Invid_Ranger.jpg

This is a better way to merge the two IPs, have the Invid use specific mecha for specific enemies.  Even in Sentinels they had those autonomous robo-dogs and such for beating down the folks on Tirol.  No need to break out the big, expensive mechs, when the smaller models will do.  That would even jive with what is seen in Mospeada.  Subjugating humans, just need the little red guys and a few purple.  Humans start sending in mechs, deploy more heavily armed purple guys before going to the even bigger mechs.  Despite controlling the whole world, the Invid are not shot shown to be resource rich, so building/growing/evolving new mechs only when needed makes the most sense.

Edited by Knight26

38 minutes ago, Knight26 said:

I had that graphic novel back in the day, might actually still have it tucked away somewhere, I see it at used bookstores and comic shops often enough.  

This is a better way to merge the two IPs, have the Invid use specific mecha for specific enemies.  Even in Sentinels they had those autonomous robo-dogs and such for beating down the folks on Tirol.  No need to break out the big, expensive mechs, when the smaller models will do.  That would even jive with what is seen in Mospeada.  Subjugating humans, just need the little red guys and a few purple.  Humans start sending in mechs, deploy more heavily armed purple guys before going to the even bigger mechs.  Despite controlling the whole world, the Invid are not shot shown to be resource rich, so building/growing/evolving new mechs only when needed makes the most sense.

The Overlord and Ranger Invid class together with sheer numbers of their smaller crab units would surely make them a more evenly match against the Zentraedis. 

3 hours ago, Einherjar said:

If a dead ringer for Nikki Basara can show up out of the blue in this universe, all sorts of BS you can dream up should be entirely possible in Robotech these days.

That's a bit different... Titan Comics did their own alternate universe story, then used it to take the piss out of Robotech after fans got pissy about them messing with the sacred cow that is the status quo.  They turned the sequel into a borderline Macross fic so they wouldn't have to adapt the Masters Saga or New Generation.

2 hours ago, Dynaman said:

More important - is that Breetai?  And if so why does he look like he is in an Achie comic book, Jughead Breetai is all I can think now.

Yeah, the old Robotech comics were pretty bad both art-wise and in terms of a lack of creative thinking.

They fell into the standard EU trap of having characters from the series written into every major or minor event in the setting's entire history.  IIRC that comic tried to establish it was getting shot in the face by an Invid that got him his mask from the series.

46 minutes ago, Invid99 said:

The Overlord and Ranger Invid class together with sheer numbers of their smaller crab units would surely make them a more evenly match against the Zentraedis. 

Until you realize this wasn't just fashion, it's an Invid pot.

unnamed.jpg.e51566234623e9479ed0d22be86b3de2.jpg

8 hours ago, danth said:

And as lame as Robotech is, now I'm wanting to read those old Eternity comics again. The art was pretty good for a while. I remember the art took a steep dive eventually -- the Waltrips appeared to just stop caring and really started phoning it in. I must have been about 13 when it happened, but I noticed!

I think I may have been around the same age at the time.  However, early on I noticed one of the brothers was subjectively 'better' at drawing the things I liked (I think it was the mecha/battles).  Later... well, giving them the benefit of the doubt, I think that they could see the writing was on the wall about the cancellation of the series.

Nevertheless, I really liked some of the creative directions they took.  Like the 'Black Death Destroyer" Invid variants they introduced and the side-story one-shot comic set on the Karbarran homeworld.

On 12/24/2021 at 9:01 PM, danth said:

KIX10qY.png

I do have the actual comics and its not much.

There is also a little bit in Return to Macross. And then a smidgeon in Robotech warriors.

554230085_images(2)(1).jpeg.850f011ff7ce1b4f2177b2941599634b.jpeg

images.jpg.05ded39bafaca4098fe837af52bb35aa.jpg

Edited by Podtastic

• 4 months later...

A Zentraedi vs Invid comic has to give the Invid massive numerical superiority to work IMO.

Like in this extract from a fanfic post by John T Mainer on FB.

The moss covered rocks were not rocks. They were battlepods. Thousands of battlepods. Invid beyond number were littered with them, there was NO GROUND, not a single speck of earth. All was fractured ceremet armour composite, shattered guns, and stripped bare bones.
The Female Zentradi pulled Ducan by the hair and pointed to the shattered wings of a few dozen artillery pods.
“We would have laid down patterns of fire to form a wall of light, and the Invid would wash against it like the incoming tide. We would kill and they would die. But no mater how many you kill, there are always more.
Then the tide rises, they stack up and take to the air and ground, that is when the missiles fire. We blacken the sky with missiles, until even our sensors cannot penetrate the smoke, but none of them reach the earth. We will kill thousands, then tens of thousands, but there are always more Invid.
They close, and the Pods start to die when the Invid get to claw range, that is when the Power Armour comes in to do close quarter battle, but by then the tide is lapping around us and the Invid fill the sky and the ground. We shoot ourselves dry of missiles and the inorganics come, too big to kill with anything but massed fire, but they are swarming the officers and there is no one to direct anything.
Every warrior stands alone, screams come over your comms, you don’t know if it is your comrades or you that is screaming. You cycle your guns as fast as your engines can channel the power, because there is no tomorrow there is no next breath if you let up fire for one second, or if you miss one target but no matter how many you hit, there is always one more Invid.”