[A24] Everything Everywhere All At Once

Old_Nash

So I saw the trailer for this last night and I feel like A24 movies are never really straight forward, so I'm guessing her character just went insane because of the circumstances and

Spoiler

this is a 2 hour schizophrenic break.

-b.

Oh my God, what an incredible demonstration of editing talent! :shok:

That's gotta be the best-edited trailer EVER. 😵

7 hours ago, Bobby said:

Did anyone recognize ShortRound from Temple of Doom?

And Laurie Strode from Halloween? :p

• 1 year later...
On 3/25/2023 at 5:06 PM, Mog said:

Is it bad that my favorite scenes were the bits with the rocks?

Pretty bonkers movie with a bit of heart.

That was the only part I liked.  Hated the rest of it. It was nice to see Short-round again though. 

It’s definitely out there and some bits are pretty bonkers.  

Actually, a lot of it is pretty bonkers.

But the relationship between the mother and daughter (and the dad too) kinda grounds the story for me, even with all the multiverse shenanigans.

2 hours ago, 505thAirborne said:

I still haven't watched this one yet, is it worth the time? 

Most awarded movie ever

10 Oscars including Best Picture

94% on Rotten Tomatoes

Michelle Yeoh, Jamie Lee Curtis, Ke Huy Quan

Nah dude don't waste your time.

😁

2 hours ago, 505thAirborne said:

My family is half Chinese, and I suspect it might hit differently depending on your cultural context for example, there's a part fairly early in when Michelle Yeoh's character tells her daughter that she's getting fat.  The daughter, who was raised in America, is offended, and I suspect that most Western viewers will be a bit shocked and perhaps even a bit disapproving at the bluntness of the delivery.  To older Chinese, though, who weren't raised to be so open with their feelings, it's understood that this expression of concern for her daughter's health is a roundabout way of saying she loves her.

With that out of the way, I'll say that it didn't grab me right away.  I was a little bored, honestly, until Ke Huy Quan's fight with the security guards.  As the movie goes on, it gets progressively more and more ridiculous, which it turn had me more and more entertained.  By the end I'd say I really enjoyed it and I'd recommend seeing it if you haven't, but I'm not sure I'd want to watch it again.

One final thought... now, I don't usually care about the Academy Awards.  And I have a lot of respect for Jamie Lee Curtis.  She's a great actress and she probably deserves more Oscars than she actually has.  She played her role in EEAaO competently.  But I'd say that whoever gave her Best Supporting Actress for it over Stephanie Hsu (who was also nominated) had to have been thinking of Curtis' entire career and throwing her a bone. 

3 hours ago, 505thAirborne said:

I kinda wonder if it’s a waste of time as well. On one hand it’s got a lot of awards, on the other it’s also a multiverse movie. I never liked the multiverse stuff to begin with and marvel and dc are currently running the concept into the ground.

I guess it would kinda be like recommending Rocky to someone that absolutely hates sports movies or sports in general. The fans and critics love it, but would someone that’s not into that genre really care?

3 minutes ago, mikeszekely said:

One final thought... now, I don't usually care about the Academy Awards.  And I have a lot of respect for Jamie Lee Curtis.  She's a great actress and she probably deserves more Oscars than she actually has.  She played her role in EEAaO competently.  But I'd say that whoever gave her Best Supporting Actress for it over Stephanie Hsu (who was also nominated) had to have been thinking of Curtis' entire career and throwing her a bone. 

The academy awards are famous for doing things like that. Often what could have been a better performance or film that year gets snubbed for people feeling sorry for an older actor or actress or director and they forget that the award isn’t a lifetime achievement award, but supposed to go to the best that year