Arcadia 1/60 SV-51 Nora pre-order/released thread

treatment

31 minutes ago, treatment said:

I wish/want Arcadia to specifically offer this particular deco...

https://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/topic/21339-yamatos-160-sv-51/?do=findComment&comment=458719

Macross_073.jpg

That Dobber custom is a classic.

I would double down if this was released.

7 hours ago, MacrossJunkie said:

Test shot to see how it looks in battroid mode. Lots of areas covered or hidden that were exposed after transforming it that I needed to do. I can't find my stipple brushes and sponges so work is halted until I my order for replacements come in.

1062804931_NoraSV-51WIP2.JPG.af317cbfffa5d91d55326aa99004cddd.JPG

Love it bro!

8 hours ago, MacrossJunkie said:

Test shot to see how it looks in battroid mode. Lots of areas covered or hidden that were exposed after transforming it that I needed to do. I can't find my stipple brushes and sponges so work is halted until I my order for replacements come in.

1062804931_NoraSV-51WIP2.JPG.af317cbfffa5d91d55326aa99004cddd.JPG

Even though it is still WIP, the weathering does add lots of depth to the toy. Battroid has never looked better! :wub:

On 7/9/2022 at 10:46 PM, treatment said:

I wish/want Arcadia to specifically offer this particular deco...

https://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/topic/21339-yamatos-160-sv-51/?do=findComment&comment=458719

Macross_073.jpg

Once upon a time Arcadia came to the conclusion non-canon liveries weren't worth the release.  But now that they can sell in territories where we're more open to it somebody should try floating the idea to them again.

3 hours ago, Mommar said:

Once upon a time Arcadia came to the conclusion non-canon liveries weren't worth the release.  But now that they can sell in territories where we're more open to it somebody should try floating the idea to them again.

This. Cause I know I would buy some VF-1 / VF-19 / VF-0s / SV-51 cannon fodder grey/blues and a bunch of other "real world" looking repaints as many others here would as well! 

Edited by derex3592

6 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

I'm still keeping my hopes up for a few Master File schemes.  Would love to be able to get some white and black striped VF-19s, and would definitely buy a couple of Dobber'd-up Sv-51s.

Hasegawa has done that with a few kits already so far.

On 6/27/2022 at 11:12 PM, MacrossJunkie said:

I ordered mine off of ebay. SV-51 decals

I bought it once for my Ivanov and recently another one for Nora's. I think they're pretty good.

Man, I just realized while putting on some decals that this new sheet is of lower quality than the one I had before. On the old one, I didn't have to cut out all these tiny little decals, they were all individual decals. I just cut out a block of decals and dip in water and they slide off. This new one I got is decals printed on single sheet of film where you have to cut and trim out the decals you want to use. I didn't realize this and cut out a block and dipped in water and tried to slide one off and everything else came off with it since it was all one piece...

2 hours ago, MacrossJunkie said:

Man, I just realized while putting on some decals that this new sheet is of lower quality than the one I had before. On the old one, I didn't have to cut out all these tiny little decals, they were all individual decals. I just cut out a block of decals and dip in water and they slide off. This new one I got is decals printed on single sheet of film where you have to cut and trim out the decals you want to use. I didn't realize this and cut out a block and dipped in water and tried to slide one off and everything else came off with it since it was all one piece...

Ohhh dear, that's hassle to cut one by one!

Boy, HLJ has some issues with the site redesign.  Never seen it take several minutes to update payment information, but I'm glad I revisited to make sure it changed from dollars to yen.. was going to cost $95 to send me my Nora (and that was EMS, the cheapest option).  Finally go the payment through Paypal as yen, and dropped it to $86. :huh:

1 hour ago, Chronocidal said:

Boy, HLJ has some issues with the site redesign.  Never seen it take several minutes to update payment information, but I'm glad I revisited to make sure it changed from dollars to yen.. was going to cost $95 to send me my Nora (and that was EMS, the cheapest option).  Finally go the payment through Paypal as yen, and dropped it to $86. :huh:

How did you change PayPal payment to yen? On a recent purchase I noticed that they took away the yen option and tried to force me to pay in USD with their crappy conversion rate (which we know they pocket the difference from). 

I ended switching to direct credit card payment because I will not give PayPal one penny more for their blatant greed and sneaky way of squeezing more money out of people. 

Seriously, they already get a cut of the purchase price from the merchant. Now they want to squeeze money from the buyer too? 

So the only way I knew it stuck was once I got to the Paypal site to pay for shipping.  It didn't actually show correctly on the HLJ site.

All I get on HLJ now is this:

1472400772_ss(2022-07-13at07_07.20).png.69e267e7bfd66cf2573a56ff5473a063.png

In order to change the currency, I had to select both the currency and pick either Paypal or credit card.  After hitting the "Update" button, it actually will direct you to the Paypal site, and you'll get the same buttons you would see as if you were confirming an actual payment, but no charge is made.  You just confirm the payment method, and then it takes you back to the same payment screen above, and it will still say USD.  It's just goofy, and you won't know it's charging in yen until you get to an actual payment confirmation page.

Pain in the neck, but it seems to have worked.

4 hours ago, davidwhangchoi said:

got my amazon jyp nora in the mail last week. haven't check or opened the brown shipper box. hopefully no crushed corners. 

Are you based in the continental US? If so, may I ask how long did it take approx, from order to arrival? I am considering buying from Amazon Japan. TIA.

2 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

So the only way I knew it stuck was once I got to the Paypal site to pay for shipping.  It didn't actually show correctly on the HLJ site.

All I get on HLJ now is this:

1472400772_ss(2022-07-13at07_07.20).png.69e267e7bfd66cf2573a56ff5473a063.png

In order to change the currency, I had to select both the currency and pick either Paypal or credit card.  After hitting the "Update" button, it actually will direct you to the Paypal site, and you'll get the same buttons you would see as if you were confirming an actual payment, but no charge is made.  You just confirm the payment method, and then it takes you back to the same payment screen above, and it will still say USD.  It's just goofy, and you won't know it's charging in yen until you get to an actual payment confirmation page.

Pain in the neck, but it seems to have worked.

This was pointed out in the Ivanov thread for how to get the site to show prices in Yen

12 hours ago, Lolicon said:

How did you change PayPal payment to yen? On a recent purchase I noticed that they took away the yen option and tried to force me to pay in USD with their crappy conversion rate (which we know they pocket the difference from). 

I ended switching to direct credit card payment because I will not give PayPal one penny more for their blatant greed and sneaky way of squeezing more money out of people. 

Seriously, they already get a cut of the purchase price from the merchant. Now they want to squeeze money from the buyer too? 

well said! I am using direct credit card too. Better conversion rate and no extra service fees.

13 hours ago, MacrossJunkie said:

This was pointed out in the Ivanov thread for how to get the site to show prices in Yen

Wasn't talking about HLJ. I was talking about Paypal itself forcing payments to be made in USD. Was purchasing from elsewhere.

15 minutes ago, Lolicon said:

Wasn't talking about HLJ. I was talking about Paypal itself forcing payments to be made in USD. Was purchasing from elsewhere.

I was responding to Chronocidal about how after changing the payment method to JPY, it was still showing as USD on the site.

24 minutes ago, MacrossJunkie said:

I was responding to Chronocidal about how after changing the payment method to JPY, it was still showing as USD on the site.

Yes, and he was responding to me about not being able to pay in yen through Paypal, but thought I was talking just about HLJ, which I didn't bother correcting since it didn't matter as I'm not going to use Paypal for overseas transactions anymore as long as they force payments in USD.

See the chain of events that Paypal's unbridled greed has led to? :aggressive:

1 hour ago, Lolicon said:

Yes, and he was responding to me about not being able to pay in yen through Paypal, but thought I was talking just about HLJ, which I didn't bother correcting since it didn't matter as I'm not going to use Paypal for overseas transactions anymore as long as they force payments in USD.

See the chain of events that Paypal's unbridled greed has led to? :aggressive:

Ah, okay. I wasn't focusing on that part and was just trying to help out on getting the HLJ site to show JPY.

I did have the same problem with Paypal though. There was no longer an option to change to pay in JPY and let my credit card company do the conversion. 

I used to be able to do that. When I saw that, I had backed out and switched to credit card payment instead. Because F Paypal for that BS.

Almost done. Some final touches I want to do with it and also have to do the boosters. Sucks though, after I sprayed a clearcoat on, most of my subtle weathering disappeared underneath it, only somewhat visible from certain angles, even on the rocket pods. Trying to photograph it is even harder. Oh well, most of the time, you could barely see the weathering on Nora's SV-51 in the OVA either, so mission failed successfully?

_DSC7373.JPG.d8acb4817311ea640f1e90171f650898.JPG

I'll likely finish by the weekend and try to take some proper pics.

Edit: Some close ups. I wanted to give some hints of underlying metal along with wear on the joints. Taken from my phone and it was hard getting it to focus properly where I wanted it to.

20220714_191936.JPG.4d0576c495ab14256ccf473abde60cbd.JPG

20220714_191428.jpg.ae5c5b17bc525be8ff382ae83a61f26a.jpg

20220714_191700.jpg.b9430d978ce4788aff5c1af9cec5f389.jpg

20220714_191856.jpg.f7b0a5c31b84079e2d05100a4b6d1373.jpg

Bonus Nora's dirty feet pics 😛

20220715_022544.jpg.99d9f597c8fca036f1d3ff0a3bacd57b.jpg

Edited by MacrossJunkie

34 minutes ago, MacrossJunkie said:

Almost done. Some final touches I want to do with it and also have to do the boosters. Sucks though, after I sprayed a clearcoat on, most of my subtle weathering disappeared underneath it, only somewhat visible from certain angles, even on the rocket pods. Trying to photograph it is even harder. Oh well, most of the time, you could barely see the weathering on Nora's SV-51 in the OVA either, so mission failed successfully?

p.jpeg

I'll likely finish by the weekend and try to take some proper pics.

It is still looking awesomely!

3 hours ago, DownIsUp said:

So obviously the Arcadia Nora SV-51 is the hot stuff rn, but I'm looking at a yamato one that's running at almost half msrp. It still barely fits in this month's budget, should I pick it up or wait to get the Arcadia one later?

The two are so close in design that it probably won't look any different on a shelf, but if even the old one is squeezing your budget as it is, it might make sense to just save up for the newer version.

On the other hand, the days where Yamato over-produced the unpopular designs like this are long gone, and the Arcadia one is probably unlikely to ever go on clearance sale.  If you're really worried about the cost, the old Yamato isn't a bad one to pick up.  It just might need some work to make the wings stiffer.

Now that you mention it, I can't think of any Arcadia releases that have had any clearance sales aside from the 0A, which I recall having a 40% off sale on HLJ a few years back.

I'd save up for the Arcadia Nora because the floppy wings on the Yamato annoy me. 

Yeah, everything is just tighter on the Arcadia version. In addition to what Lolicon said, the panel lines look a lot finer, there isn't an empty gap below the head in fighter mode, the limbs have more range of motion and the shoulders can be angled properly and also stay in place for gerwalk and battroid modes.

That said, fighter mode is close enough in look and with some kiki loose joint fixer, it can keep the wings from flopping. The Yamato one also seems to have plastic that can degrade, and crumble or break on its own without even touching it. I and other people have experienced that first hand so also keep that in mind. 

It's too soon to tell if the Arcadia version would have such an issue, but hopefully not. 

• 2 months later...
4 minutes ago, DownIsUp said:

Hey guys, what's the best spot to pick this bird up? HLJ has her for $302.58 before shipping, is there anywhere else that might be a better deal?

Why it's $302.58? Using today's conversion rate, HLJ's Y36800 price should be just around US$254.97.

If you're not too picky, Mandarake has an opened one for Y35000. Amazon Japan on the other hand has it for Y32384.