DX YF-29 Durandal (Maximillian Jenius Unit) WWM Release

no3Ljm

Bad luck and bad QC on that, but I wouldn't say it was something that plagued the 29 series as a whole. Them coming off easily though? Yes.

Loose hips, either out of the box or over time? Also yes, and is a problem with with the 25, 27, and 29 variants, but nothing that the Kiki loose joint fixer can't solve.

That said, any Bandai Macross release is a gamble. I've had my share (perhaps more than my share) of random and not so random issues with stuff from Bandai.

Especially recently with the 31AX problems. I still don't know if my Max 29 issues are more widespread or just my piss poor luck. 

* Disclaimer here guys: I'm not the one saying this quote below, I'm just typing out something that I've read about on a certain Macross item". * 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[ As someone on another Macross thread in his own words wrote this: "I expect better quality as I'm paying $$$ for an expensive top of the line product, but instead I'm disappointed with floppy joints, things falling apart, quality control is trash and a useless die cast valk. I can get a KO with better quality and at half the price". ] 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Let's say it got into a very heated discussion after that and it got derailed for at least a couple of pages.  :shok:

In my mind, almost everything out in the world as a certain shelf life and a fiscal life span as everything is improving/upgrading, plus there's bound to be flaws and issues as time goes by.    

15 hours ago, ValkAddict said:

The shoulder cover on my Ozma YF-29 broke on my 2nd transformation. The clip that holds the cover broke. Really disappointing.

Oof, the exact same breakage happened on my 30th anniversary Yf-29. Really wish the attachment point was a more secure design 

19 hours ago, MacrossJunkie said:

Bad luck and bad QC on that, but I wouldn't say it was something that plagued the 29 series as a whole. Them coming off easily though? Yes.

Loose hips, either out of the box or over time? Also yes, and is a problem with with the 25, 27, and 29 variants, but nothing that the Kiki loose joint fixer can't solve.

That said, any Bandai Macross release is a gamble. I've had my share (perhaps more than my share) of random and not so random issues with stuff from Bandai.

Especially recently with the 31AX problems. I still don't know if my Max 29 issues are more widespread or just my piss poor luck. 

^ Fair enough. I own 2x YF-29s and while I love the design, I'm holding off on getting anymore. Same for the VF-31AX, I only have the one (Bogue) and it has QC issues. :( Won't be getting anymore of them either ... except if they release the grey low-viz version (as shown in the anime renders.

And I am sorry to hear about your issues.

7 hours ago, DownIsUp said:

Oof, the exact same breakage happened on my 30th anniversary Yf-29. Really wish the attachment point was a more secure design 

^ Sorry to hear. I also got the 30th Fokker YF-29 - transformed and left in battroid for about 6 months. When I finally went to "play with it", hips and arms were loose AF. 

Baaaaannnnnddddaaaaaiiiiii !!!!! (screamed like Kirk did to Khan in ST2) - LOL

I think the plastic must shrink a little over time or something. I've had some VF-25's posed on a stand in the same pose for years, and I think static friction was the only thing keeping the arms and legs in place, because as soon as I moved a limb, it flops down and can't return to its original position. I like the leg joints for the 31 series, particularly at the hips where they're ratcheted. If the VF-25. 27. and 29 had that type of joint, it would be far less problematic. Thus far, even the arms at the shoulder joint have held up pretty well. I just wish I could say the same about the elbows. With Bandai's current QC though, I don't know how long I can say how well the limbs will stay in place for future releases for the 31 variants. 

From the pictures & videos seen so far, one nice improvement we get is the M&M emblem printed in full across the panels & the hinge for the overhead cannons.

Recall how Ozma’s skull logo is split right down the middle from plain black hinge..

49 minutes ago, MKT said:

From the pictures & videos seen so far, one nice improvement we get is the M&M emblem printed in full across the panels & the hinge for the overhead cannons.

Recall how Ozma’s skull logo is split right down the middle from plain black hinge..

Actually, while Max's does look nicer in that regard, that's accurate to how Ozma's 29 was displayed in the game, so one can't fault Bandai for that. 

Trying to find a screenshot, but am unable to find one at the moment. 

Edit: Found some.

image.jpeg.677e6d99b13696d69b0d27baa4ef3c45.jpegimage.jpeg.3a3d852dc1c9606c28b75b036666df64.jpeg

Edited by MacrossJunkie

10 hours ago, 505thAirborne said:

If you're still looking for a Max YF-29, there's a handful on Mandarake right now.

This is one of them 👇👇👇

https://order.mandarake.co.jp/order/detailPage/item?itemCode=1207454936&ref=list&keyword=Macross&lang=en

Damn, this particular release has become a shelf warmer it seems...is this not popular? so much surplus available shortly after the release.

2 hours ago, Angesdad said:

Damn, this particular release has become a shelf warmer it seems...is this not popular? so much surplus available shortly after the release.

This is another world wide release so the shops in Japan aren't being blitz at the moment, yet they'll sell out soon enough. Like many I'm not a fan of Delta but the Mecha designs for many are worth collecting, the VF-31A & this YF-29 are high on my list of favorites. 

Been busy this past week and been using what leisure time I've had at home to play on my PS5 rather than Bandai's toys of questionable quality. :D

Haven't done much beyond taking it out and whooshing it around a few times. As mentioned already the right intake cover is bigger than the intake opening on mine and will need to be shaved down in order to fit.

Gunpod is warped, just like the WWM VF-25.

Lots of little areas where the paint is chipped or rubbed off, which is something that has plague Bandai's stuff since time immemorial.

It does look great though, with the matte finish and blue and white livery. I mean, aside from the landing gear. :p I do like that they increased the tampo on it to bring it more on par with the other Delta valks. (Wish they had done the same for the upcoming VF-25F. You know, something to justify the price hike on what is essentially a straight reissue,.)

I'm dreading transforming it to battroid and back to fighter, something that was already a bit of a hassle on the 29 without Bandai's recent QC problems.

52391602388_6aa30b0e5e_o.jpg

On 9/28/2022 at 2:46 PM, Lolicon said:

It does look great though, with the matte finish and blue and white livery. I mean, aside from the landing gear. :p I do like that they increased the tampo on it to bring it more on par with the other Delta valks. (Wish they had done the same for the upcoming VF-25F. You know, something to justify the price hike on what is essentially a straight reissue,.)

Judging by the product photos, they did upgrade the tampo on the Alto bundle, they've at least added the NO STEP markings on the wings, but will have to wait and see what else they might add.  Would be nice if they added cockpit details. 

11 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

Judging by the product photos, they did upgrade the tampo on the Alto bundle, they've at least added the NO STEP markings on the wings, but will have to wait and see what else they might add.  Would be nice if they added cockpit details. 

Yeah I noticed the new wing markings, but they appear to be the only new ones.

Unlikely but hoping they'll add more. (More aircraft markings, that is. No more large obnoxious emblems please, Bandai.)

finally had some time to handle it this weekend. Besides what seemingly inevitable paint blemishes, what stood out on my copy was the upper left arm completely frozen and wouldn’t rotate at all.😆 Fixing it was as easy as undoing a couple of screws and scraping off residual overspray inside the joint. Also I kinda wish the color scheme was a tad closer to the box art which shows a hint of purple but I suppose Max is blue.

5D853049-1341-4B1C-A11B-945CB30D7A5D.jpeg.52f48e51091223b81a7d6ae9284e5fd9.jpeg
the right intake cover on mine also suffered from tolerance issue and does not go in easily, as @Lolicon pointed out.

Edited by Angesdad

On 9/28/2022 at 2:12 PM, derex3592 said:

Did anyone buy from Kappa Hobby and if so have you heard anything from them?

Are they a Japan or US based company?

nm, based in California.  BBTS and other US retailers all have the release listed as November.

Edited by Mommar

2 hours ago, Bolt said:

It a beautiful VF, no doubt. I wonder what things Max can do with her..

Spoiler

Apparently a lot. He hasn't really lost his touch. He kicked Delta squadron's butt solo during a practice fight. Later, he was easily taking down SV-303s that had been giving everyone else a hard time.

Loving Max's colour scheme. The cobalt blue came out in the shade almost exactly as I wanted it to be. Fiddling with it, I'm again reminded this new matte plastic, including Alto's & VF-25 WWM, feels stronger than the older Frontier valks (including the YF-30)?

126599572_YF-29MaxTopBNRM.JPG.8b87fe5d4a900d8c99dd54a1fed21979.JPG

YF-29 was initially not my favorite valk design. Years ago, right after getting the first YF-29, I had a bit of buyer's remorse because the design seems quite.. alien. Which makes sense, because it's supposedly Vajra-influenced in my hazy Macross knowledge. I tended to favor valks whose design have more affinity with real-life jets. But over time, I appreciate this design more & hunted down all the colour variants.

With the super pack, the whole silhouette - the various boosters, outer wing vertical stabilisers, longer tail, booster nozzle extension, downward canted outer wings, somehow just reminds of a bat resting on all fours on a surface..  :p

1856243229_Batwings.jpg.91b905df78e75bb082246c09c79d402f.jpg

As others noted, the left intake cover is really tight, but I didn't have to trim mine down to install, it just takes much more force to snap it into place. The right super pack booster is very noticeably a tighter fit than the left, but otherwise everything else fits well. Leaving it in Fighter at the moment..

890890795_YF-29MaxFLNRMv1.1.jpg.edd3ca18f48dcb911b8299ef94099170.jpg   

On 9/26/2022 at 10:05 PM, ValkAddict said:

^ Fair enough. I own 2x YF-29s and while I love the design, I'm holding off on getting anymore. Same for the VF-31AX, I only have the one (Bogue) and it has QC issues. :( Won't be getting anymore of them either ... except if they release the grey low-viz version (as shown in the anime renders.

And I am sorry to hear about your issues.

^ Sorry to hear. I also got the 30th Fokker YF-29 - transformed and left in battroid for about 6 months. When I finally went to "play with it", hips and arms were loose AF. 

Baaaaannnnnddddaaaaaiiiiii !!!!! (screamed like Kirk did to Khan in ST2) - LOL

I agree that the YF 29 has QC issues. I shelled out $300 for the 30th Anni  yf29 and supers only to find the same problem with the arms as mentioned above. One of the wings also droops down when extended.