Halo the Series

sh9000

I can't help but think of the line in Age of Ultron when Black Widow explains to Bruce Banner why she can't have children. That at the graduation ceremony in the Red Room, she's sterilized so that it's "one less thing to worry about - the one thing that might matter more than a mission." I find it pretty difficult to believe that with all of the advanced science which the UNSC appears to have in this series, that they wouldn't have done the same for all Spartans. I mean, it's not like a new concept in human history that sex has made people do crazy things... I have no idea if there's any mention of sterilization in any of the previously-written Halo materials, but I feel like this plot point in this episode is truly the ultimate in shark jumping for story writing. For whom did the writers create this? The Halo fanbase has already revolted against this series (at least from what I've seen online), so to whom are they trying to appeal now?

1 hour ago, Axelay said:

I can't help but think of the line in Age of Ultron when Black Widow explains to Bruce Banner why she can't have children. That at the graduation ceremony in the Red Room, she's sterilized so that it's "one less thing to worry about - the one thing that might matter more than a mission." I find it pretty difficult to believe that with all of the advanced science which the UNSC appears to have in this series, that they wouldn't have done the same for all Spartans. I mean, it's not like a new concept in human history that sex has made people do crazy things... I have no idea if there's any mention of sterilization in any of the previously-written Halo materials, but I feel like this plot point in this episode is truly the ultimate in shark jumping for story writing. For whom did the writers create this? The Halo fanbase has already revolted against this series (at least from what I've seen online), so to whom are they trying to appeal now?

Their focus group.

I liked it. Very much a dramatic episode and I felt everyone was going pretty much true to form.

Spoiler

I do wish now that they had given episode 7 to Makee rather than Kwan. It would have given her character more time to adjust to being among humans and to get closer to John, for whom she was about to turn against the Covenant. Instead, her switch happened pretty quickly. And then back again, esp after being hit with that stun-stick right in the same spot she did the last time. Owie!

And that was a pretty cool Spartan on Spartan fight! Then Kai went in with the flying kick. Loved it!

Also good to have Cartana now on the right side.

Ling forward to 9!

Edit. I jus made SMS Squad Leader!  'Get in line, you maggots!'

:D

Edited by Thom

4 hours ago, Thom said:

I liked it. Very much a dramatic episode and I felt everyone was going pretty much true to form.

Reveal hidden contents

I do wish now that they had given episode 7 to Makee rather than Kwan. It would have given her character more time to adjust to being among humans and to get closer to John, for whom she was about to turn against the Covenant. Instead, her switch happened pretty quickly. And then back again, esp after being hit with that stun-stick right in the same spot she did the last time. Owie!

And that was a pretty cool Spartan on Spartan fight! Then Kai went in with the flying kick. Loved it!

Also good to have Cartana now on the right side.

Ling forward to 9!

Edit. I jus made SMS Squad Leader!  'Get in line, you maggots!'

:D

I've got a higher reputation score (likes) than you have posts. Twice as many. Drop and give me 25!8P

Well, that was a good season finale! Certainly didn't pull any punches. Have to say, I liked most of the first season and this leaves me with high hopes for season 2.

Some notes...

Spoiler

Of course with Halsey, there's always an escape plan. Was wondering what the special package that dweeb doctor was talking about, and it worked like a charm.

Also a good scene with John trying to talk to Jannak and Riz and tell them what Halsey did to them.

And if she hadn't done it before, then Makee certainly burned her bridges during her escape, and all for a Covenant that was going to kill her off anyway.

Really liked John and Cortana working together, and those were some cool shots of their ship moving through the barrier surrounding the Covenant planet. Also that single shot from the cockpit of the peregrine, with John walking through the fuselage and then jumping right out the back was pretty sweet.

Once the battle started on the surface, it actually felt like a video game, which I don't know if that was a bone to the gamers, esp when the POV went to first person.

And special mention to Kai, both for going vengeful in her chase of Halsey, slamming aforementioned dweeb doctor into the overhead after he stupidly hit her over the head with a metal pipe (what did you think that was going to do anyway, dude..?) And then putting a bullet through Makee to stop her and thus release John from the effects of the artifact. Lady gets the job done.

And, of course, John isn't gone, but I wonder what hoops they'll have to go through to get him 'back.'

Looking forward to more.

The season finale ended the season on a better foot but the entire season as a whole was "OK" (Not bad, but not good). The whole-B-plot dragged the season down. It had no effect on the season finale, making me seriously question its purpose for being in the show.

12 hours ago, TangledThorns said:

Finished the first season last night. Ended better than it started at least.

+100, at least.

1 hour ago, sqidd said:

I couldn't make it through the last episode. I'm 100% "over" the show.

Agreed. I watched it but it completely ruined it for me. Should have stopped when it turned me off a few episodes prior.

Spoiler

Master Chief finally acted like Master Chief but not until Cortana took him over. ......K

Notes for Season 2:

• Get rid of useless B-plots. They have to tie into the main story or else you're wasting time. There are other ways to make filler eps. Useless B-plots are not one of them.
  • CGI needs to be a wee-bit more consistent. The Sangheili started looking like they were built like Brutes in the pilot ep, then fine afterwards.
  • Weapons...
    * Fix the armor or CG it so that the Spartans are holding the rifles more center-line. It's really awkward when they try to shoulder the rifles cuz the suits are impeding them.
    * On the topic of weapon props...
    9v26Hn3ssdiv4u8VE3o-IlwvToT-wxZKMxidkFB5
    PAINT YOUR PROPS!!!!
    * Bloody hell...RELOAD. Show them reloading!!!!! Spartans carry more ammo!!!

I enjoyed season 1 overall but my god was it all over the place, super inconsistent. Agreed on the B plot, it had some relevancy, eventually, by the end of the season, but for the most part it was a pointless drag, all the B plot stuff could've and should've been covered over the course of half of one episode. 

I'm in for season 2, but I'm really hoping to see some changes and improvements. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
4 hours ago, Bolt said:

Still haven't watched the first season.  Paramount just isn't on my wish list. Though it does look watchable.

I’m with you there. I think the big things I want to watch are Beavis and Butthead and the Southpark stuff that isn’t on Max. Beyond that they don’t really have anything that makes me feel like I’m missing out 

9 hours ago, Big s said:

I’m with you there. I think the big things I want to watch are Beavis and Butthead and the Southpark stuff that isn’t on Max. Beyond that they don’t really have anything that makes me feel like I’m missing out 

Paramount+ is more affordable than the other streaming services and has some modern western gems from Taylor Sheridan series such as 1883, 1923, Tulsa King, etc. 

5 hours ago, TangledThorns said:

Paramount+ is more affordable than the other streaming services and has some modern western gems from Taylor Sheridan series such as 1883, 1923, Tulsa King, etc. 

that’s ok, I’m not super big on modern western drama