Halo the Series

sh9000

8 hours ago, pengbuzz said:

I find it very disturbing that human beings are reduced to utter machines. Many already view one another today as less than human.

Anyways, departing this thread; it's making my skin crawl.

The idea of controlling people is always sitting there in the background of the Halo-franchise. Most of the gaming public don't know the original purpose of the Spartans was the quell insurgency among the colonies. It was only after the Covenant that Spartans became special forces deployment teams. Controlling the Spartans was always a question which was why Halsey chose children because they could be indoctrinated easily.

Everyone also needs to understand that this isn't a direct adaptation of the game's story, the showrunners stated the series takes place in its own universe, an alternate timeline. We'll get a Halo, there's Spartans and the UNSC, Covenant, but this won't follow the story of the game series, it's doing its own thing. 

I'm hyped, I've been playing Halo for two decades now, these games are still my all time favorite FPS games. The story and characters are quite excellent, the tie-in novels have all been pretty great, some added to the lore and told new stories, some covered the events of the games in greater detail, either way there's plenty of content and story to pull from and tell. Looks pretty too, I'm bummed we never got that Neill Blomkamp Halo movie or series, he did the live action shorts and those were fantastic! Landfall still holds up today IMO. 

Halo has certainly borrowed a lot over the years, it's tropey, but at this point it's also set standards for gaming and storytelling, world-building, lore, it's a fantastic series and I'm glad some kind of live action content is finally happening. 

• 1 month later...
On 2/2/2022 at 2:41 PM, Tking22 said:

Everyone also needs to understand that this isn't a direct adaptation of the game's story, the showrunners stated the series takes place in its own universe, an alternate timeline. We'll get a Halo, there's Spartans and the UNSC, Covenant, but this won't follow the story of the game series, it's doing its own thing.

So... When has a live action video game ever actually tried to be a faithful adaptation of the source? Honest I'm getting kind of sick the "whole we are doing our own thing" excuse.

For once just give us a god damn straight up adapation from the game. Yeah it will be predictable fanservice, but so what? That's what fans want. Why do you think the early seasons of Game Of Thrones were so popular when they were the closest to the source material and the later seasons so reviled when Dumb & Dumber decided to put their own spin on things after running out of books to copy from?

On 2/2/2022 at 2:41 PM, Tking22 said:

I'm hyped, I've been playing Halo for two decades now, these games are still my all time favorite FPS games. The story and characters are quite excellent, the tie-in novels have all been pretty great, some added to the lore and told new stories, some covered the events of the games in greater detail, either way there's plenty of content and story to pull from and tell. Looks pretty too, I'm bummed we never got that Neill Blomkamp Halo movie or series, he did the live action shorts and those were fantastic! Landfall still holds up today IMO. 

Halo has certainly borrowed a lot over the years, it's tropey, but at this point it's also set standards for gaming and storytelling, world-building, lore, it's a fantastic series and I'm glad some kind of live action content is finally happening. 

Understanding is one thing, approval is another.

31 minutes ago, renegadeleader1 said:

So... When has a live action video game ever actually tried to be a faithful adaptation of the source? Honest I'm getting kind of sick the "whole we are doing our own thing" excuse.

Scott Pilgrim vs The World, also, the Watchmen movie was nearly 1;1 until the end, not games but they very faithful adaptations, perhaps too faithful at times. The Dynasty Warriors Netflix film is pretty 1;1, games just don't translate well to film if you're going for an adaptation, they have cutscenes which are the story, but a lot of the big and memorable moments are played out by the player, variable from gamer to gamer. These aren't comics or books that have a single flowing exact story, I don't feel they're comparable at all. 

39 minutes ago, renegadeleader1 said:

For once just give us a god damn straight up adapation from the game. Yeah it will be predictable fanservice, but so what? That's what fans want. Why do you think the early seasons of Game Of Thrones were so popular when they were the closest to the source material and the later seasons so reviled when Dumb & Dumber decided to put their own spin on things after running out of books to copy from?

I mean, like I said above, I wouldn't compare adapting a book to a game, that's not even a reasonable comparison. Game of Thrones translated well onto TV from a book, yes, would, say, the Telltale Game of Thrones game? No, not at all, for the same reasons almost no other game would either. 

To each their own, I probably wouldn't have bothered if it was a 1:1 adaptation, I already played the games, I don't want to watch them. There's also the fact that a first person shooter campaign, Halo 1 for example, isn't going to translate to a narrative series easily, or at all. It's a few cutscenes of actual story, then killing stuff, because it's a game, a series in its own universe and continuity gets to focus on the story and characters, something the Halo games were almost never known for, people love the Halo games because of the gameplay, most forget the story beyond kill aliens as Not-Doomguy. 

Do you not think this will have fan service? Do you think this won't have Master Chief laying waste to Covanent troops just like in the games? As far as Halo goes that's what most people know about the series, and I'm sure this series will have plenty of that, and a Halo, and Cortana, it's all there, just not in the same order or told the same way, let's wait and see if this is any good before we jump to conclusions, once again, the story in the games isn't anything special, and literally everything else from the games is in this series. 

32 minutes ago, pengbuzz said:

Understanding is one thing, approval is another.

I'm not sure what you're getting at here, if you wanted an exact adaptation of the first game's story unfortunately you're not getting that. Approve of it or not, it's what the showrunners decided to do, for the best IMO. 

I think video games aren’t meant to become movies in most cases. You might be able to do something cool with an rpg, but that might work out better for a series.

I was trying to imagine how cool a metroid film could be. Either the main character doesn’t talk or just has a generic roboty voice, has to defeat certain enemies and get useful gear until after defeating the final boss. Then a quick after scene of Sami’s lounging in a bikini sipping margaritas.

One of the best movies I saw that felt like a video game, but wasn’t was Apocalypto. There are subtitles, but the dialogue doesn’t even matter, visually it tells the whole story and it’s mostly a side scroller 

Probably nowhere near anything like the game but League of Legends Arcane is one of the greatest animated series I have ever seen. A masterpiece IMO. The story is surprisingly mature….not in a graphic or sexual way….it just didn’t talk down to its audience and just told a good story.

Chris

19 minutes ago, Dobber said:

Probably nowhere near anything like the game but League of Legends Arcane is one of the greatest animated series I have ever seen. A masterpiece IMO. The story is surprisingly mature….not in a graphic or sexual way….it just didn’t talk down to its audience and just told a good story.

Chris

I actually really, really liked Arcane as well, and I've never played League of Legends. For me personally the best game property adapted to a show or movie would be Castlevania on Netflix, I have played those games, many, many times, the series was absolutely brilliant. Even those though are adaptations, not the exact story of the games, I don't think it's possible to do a 1:1 game to movie, even Uncharted just came out recently and they decided to do a prequel to the first game instead of trying to adapt the first game itself. 

edit: I also recently watched Welcome to Raccoon City and damn, that was pretty awful, that tried to get closer to adapting both Resident Evil 1 and 2 and failed both games, they took liberties left and right, but mostly it just looked bad and clearly had a Syfy original budget. 

Edited by Tking22

This looks silly.  But as soon as the Chief picked up the turret gun, I knew I'm going to be watching every episode 😁 

I really, really like how they're getting into the inhumanity of the Spartan II program.  It was touched on in Halo Infinite, and looks like we'll be getting more here.  That's a good thing.

3 hours ago, Tking22 said:

I'm not sure what you're getting at here, if you wanted an exact adaptation of the first game's story unfortunately you're not getting that. Approve of it or not, it's what the showrunners decided to do, for the best IMO. 

What I'm getting at is: you seem to believe that "understanding" that the Halo series is not a straight-on adaption is synonymous with accepting the show.

It is not.

At no point does comprehension of a thing mean that it automatically becomes favored/ viewed positively in another's eyes.

So to the point in this discussion: do I understand that Halo isn't a straight adaption? Yes, as a matter of fact I do. But does it mean that I thus accept the show and wish to view it now?

No, it does not.

Comprehension and acceptance are not synonymous. As far as I'm concerned, the Halo tv series can veer as far from the game as it likes; the showrunners have that right as far as BUNGIE/343 industries are concerned. But it ill still reek of trying to cash in on Halo's popularity wile telling stories that don't follow the original timeline to me. And yes, while the showrunners can do that (and NOT for the best, IMO TYVM), I can refrain from seeing it; I'm not obligated to do so.

-Pengbuzz punching out of this discussion.

Edited by pengbuzz

14 hours ago, pengbuzz said:

What I'm getting at is: you seem to believe that "understanding" that the Halo series is not a straight-on adaption is synonymous with accepting the show.

It is not.

At no point does comprehension of a thing mean that it automatically becomes favored/ viewed positively in another's eyes.

So to the point in this discussion: do I understand that Halo isn't a straight adaption? Yes, as a matter of fact I do. But does it mean that I thus accept the show and wish to view it now?

No, it does not.

Comprehension and acceptance are not synonymous. As far as I'm concerned, the Halo tv series can veer as far from the game as it likes; the showrunners have that right as far as BUNGIE/343 industries are concerned. But it ill still reek of trying to cash in on Halo's popularity wile telling stories that don't follow the original timeline to me. And yes, while the showrunners can do that (and NOT for the best, IMO TYVM), I can refrain from seeing it; I'm not obligated to do so.

-Pengbuzz punching out of this discussion.

Lol you don't have to text-wall a bunch of nonsense at me to let me know what I apparently believe and that you don't want to watch the show, I could care less if you don't want to watch the show, I was just trying to inform some of the folks that didn't seem to realize this wasn't an exact retelling of the Halo game universe story. 

-Team Rocket Blasting Off Again!

Never played the games....at this point...can't justify paying for another streaming service for just one show which just slightly interests me....technically only Amazon Prime gets that privilege from me due to getting it "free" by buying stuff through them anyways....if it gets positive feedback I'll find a way to watch it I guess

Cool trailer. I played a fair bit of HALO back in the day , with my oldest son. Definitely burned out after several years. But i give the franchise credit for what it did for the industry. I would have preferred this to be like 3 movies , but I understand the streaming market is a phat dollar now. From what I'm seeing, this has a different feel than the games. I'm cool with that too.As I'm not a hard core fan. Not at the top of my must watch list. But I'll definitely give it a shot.  
As far as games to movies/series. I enjoyed Castlevania and The Witcher , though that particular game was also based on books.

Speaking of which , this makes me want to go see a movie in an actual theater. I guess the last time i did that was last December for Macross Plus..🤔

I really only played the first 2 games, but they were great times. And the story worked out in gameplay. I totally get having to change things a bit. I don’t have that particular streaming service, but if I did I would probably check it out 

I caught the first episode on my lunch and really liked it, I may have shot myself in the foot starting this Paramount+ free month trial this early though, the first season won't finish before I have to renew so it looks like I'm in for paying for one month of Paramount+, oh well. I like the show! It's definitely Halo, the first episode is a bit lighter on the action then I was expecting but there was a lot to set up. 

2 hours ago, TangledThorns said:

Also...

Reveal hidden contents

Seeing Master Chief remove his helmet and SHOW HIS FACE in the first episode is the most bizarre production choice I've ever seen.

I thought it was a bit jarring at first but the showrunners said that would happen, I figured this was like pulling a band-aid off, just get it over with, now it won't be a lingering question of when, it's over and done with. 

7 hours ago, TangledThorns said:

Just watched the pilot episode. It's good but still should have been a epic action movie instead.

Also...

Hide contents

Seeing Master Chief remove his helmet and SHOW HIS FACE in the first episode is the most bizarre production choice I've ever seen.

We had the unmasked Phantom from Billy Zane movie

First episode was OK (guess you gotta start somewhere).

Some qualms I have with the production....
* Spartans are holding the rifles awkwardly. The suits are definitely restrictive, preventing the suit actors from holding the rifles more center-line.
* Give 'em some knives for frak's sake...Especially for the takedowns. Jeez...
* Elites are built more Brute-like. Height is fine. Width feels more Brute-ish. Slender them up top.

2 hours ago, azrael said:

* Spartans are holding the rifles awkwardly. The suits are definitely restrictive, preventing the suit actors from holding the rifles more center-line.

Lol agreed, that part can't really be denied, the real-world physical suits just can't replicate the cheeseable gaminess of the various armors in the games, you definitely get some odd shots and poses due to the clearly quite restrictive armors. I still think they did a good job overall though, everything looks like it should, I think the Spartans look about as good as they can in live action, they will always just look like expensive cosplay because they are, the various nods to the games with the FPS view and shield/shield charge sounds were pretty neat for longtime Halo game fans. 

I was a bit jarred by just how violent the series is, and I honestly appreciate it, it sells this as a series that's a about a war, not just an FPS where it seems like everyone is shooting marshmallows back and forth. The elites are brutal, and we've never seen Covenant plasma weapons capabilities on non-super soldiers like this, these weapons are devastating. If elites, the noble, honorable soldiers of the Covenant are this brutal I hate to see what Brutes are like, they've gotta be absolute monsters!

I liked what I saw. Not the best, but not bad either. There were some moments where it felt a little like a fan-film, but that's not good or bad. Also felt it was a little too quick. What they had in the first episode, I think, would have been enough for two episodes, if only to keep it from feeling rushed. What happened at the end of episode one, IMO, would have been at the end of episode 2, if only...

EDIT - sorry, forgot to spoiler this...

Spoiler

... to draw out the Master Chief's decision to save the girl rather than put her down. We can put the influence for him doing so to the artifact, but I would have drawn it out some before that.

Still, I liked it. Good acting, nice effects, cool ships. Loving the scenery. Anxious for more!

Thom (original account in for repairs...)

Edited by TET