3 hours ago, Big s said:

I never liked one piece. But I did try watching a few episodes a while back. These people don’t look the part, and I’m sure the fans aren’t gonna be happy 

You mean they look like fake Straw Hats:image.png.b429f781f4e720dca1178f7af3bcf18b.png 

• 3 months later...

On the heels of embarrassing themselves with their nearly universally lambasted insult to Cowboy Bebop, they take one more open-mouthed plunge into cesspit with yet another attempt to westernize an anime with a built-in fanbase (which in today's environment just means a cynical attempted cash grab that will gut it of whatever made it popular with its fanbase - whom they'll invariably accuse on toxicity - and wokefy it with box-checking and "correcting problematic" content to appease a so-called audience that has no interest in the franchise beyond the initial thrill of seeing old fans groan).

• 7 months later...

WHAT?? My kid is gonna hate this. But I'm gonna make him watch it anyway 😅

I don't see how they're going to capture the slap stick anime tropes so well. Ah well. We shall see !

Zoro is my favorite character, I'm curious to see who they cast for the role.

Edited by Bolt

10 minutes ago, azrael said:

Hot take: This is getting cancelled. Pretty sure I don’t need to see a trailer. Anime to westernized live-action just doesn’t work. ‘Should have never been green lit.

Oh, come now, Cowboy Bebop was super popular, embraced and adored by fans of the anime, praised by the original creator, and exceedingly successful... oh, wait... :rofl:

Wow.

Just... wow.

I'd like to be charitable and call this a bold move on Netflix's part.  It's not, though.  This is suicidal overconfidence at its finest.  This is the "Hold my beer" moment at the beginning of a Florida man story that ends with the subject's hideous demise, a Darwin Award nomination, and a coroner's report that reads like a MythBusters insurance claim.  This is just such an obviously terrible idea and so clearly doomed to fail that I have a hard time believing a human being is responsible for it.  FFS, it's barely been a year since their live action adaptation of Cowboy Bebop got savaged so badly by critics and general audiences alike that they had to announce cancellation of all future plans for it not even three weeks after its premiere.

This is going to be a beautiful disaster of such magnitude that it will make audiences look back on the 4Kids version of One Piece with genuine and heartfelt fondness

Far more so than Cowboy Bebop, I am absolutely fascinated by the prospect of how they might **** this up.  The first couple story arcs were pretty heavy on the comedy with the big bads being fat!Alvida, Helmeppo and his dad, Buggy the Clown, and Jango and Kuro.  They've shown a set for Baratie and Sanji's on the cast, so I'd guess they're going to end their first season with either Don Krieg or Arlong.  Will we see some heavy and awful prosthetics work or some laughable uncanny valley CG?  Which characters will get bowdlerized in the name of political correctness?  (Safe bet Alvida will, but who else?)

The sludgy, maggot gagging, dumpster fire that is most likely in the offing, and the ensuing fan blaming, istaphobe accusations from producers, directors, cast, shill media/critics, and Netflix (oh, the copium and reeing to come) - not to mention the well deserved gleeful eviscerations from the usual sources - will be glorious to watch.

Is this why they will never make a Live Action Battletech/Mechwarrior (nitch community, too much Lore [Where/When exactly do you set it]), Macross (larger community but also the question of Where/When it's set) or MS Gundam (ridiculous community across the globe but WHICH SERIES/SETTING/AU to use?) ???

For everyone here dialing in their Nopes on Speed Dial, you might be shocked: They could make something that on it's face looks like One Piece but they go their own way and become just as beloved as the anime or Manga....

assuming that the people in charge are not epically retarded farts... I'm talking Macross Frontier, Yamato 2199Mandalorian or Strange New Worlds levels of success needed to meet Quiteria standards. On that, I can agree with all hands, the bar is THAT high 

1 hour ago, TehPW said:

Is this why they will never make a Live Action Battletech/Mechwarrior (nitch community, too much Lore [Where/When exactly do you set it]), Macross (larger community but also the question of Where/When it's set) or MS Gundam (ridiculous community across the globe but WHICH SERIES/SETTING/AU to use?) ???

Partly.  There's quite a bit more to it than that, though.

BattleTech/MechWarrior and Robotech both have a lot of legal baggage, particularly involving their use of third party intellectual property.  BattleTech/MechWarrior in particular has a black mark on its name because of the many lawsuits it has faced for using copyrighted materials without permission.  They're also old and rather obscure properties that never did quite "make it big".  As such, they wouldn't really be likely to end up on a studio's short list of successful properties to adapt.  They're basically looking for an instant win condition by adapting popular and celebrated shows.

Macross had the legal obstacles put in place by Harmony Gold making it an unappealing prospect.  It also suffers at bit from its approach to music not being something that would translate well to a live action format for western audiences.  Plus the CG tech necessary to do it justice on the big screen is extremely expensive and relatively new.

Gundam actually has a live action movie.  It was a far future Universal Century sequel called G-Saviour, and it was... not well received.  

But for the most successful properties out there, the main obstacle is that there are some things about anime as a format that simply don't translate well (or at all) to a live action project written with western sensibilities in mind.  One Piece is a prime example of that, with its strained-at-best relationship with realism, comedic tone, and unusual art style.

1 hour ago, TehPW said:

For everyone here dialing in their Nopes on Speed Dial, you might be shocked: They could make something that on it's face looks like One Piece but they go their own way and become just as beloved as the anime or Manga....

It's not impossible... in the same way that my arse spontaneously sprouting wings and flying me to Europa isn't technically impossible.  It's just so unlikely as to make no odds.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

1 hour ago, TehPW said:

assuming that the people in charge are not epically retarded farts... 

‘Never said anything about it being good or not. I don’t know if it will be good or not. But westernized live-action versions of anime tend to not do well. And do I think this will attract new subscribers? Not enough to warrant another season. 

7 hours ago, TehPW said:

MS Gundam (ridiculous community across the globe but WHICH SERIES/SETTING/AU to use?) ???

As said above it’s already been done. But there’s teasers for a new one. The best idea is to do its own story. Gundam has so many alternate universe stories, it would be best to make it unrelated to anything before it so there won’t be the expectation that they will ruin a character or make a horrible version of the beloved Gundam itself.

I'll admit, I'm very curious to see the end result of One Piece. We know these studios are not afraid to bring anime to live action. It's just hard to imagine it will be done faithfully or even look good , if attempted. This may well be a big reimagining.

12 minutes ago, Bolt said:

I'll admit, I'm very curious to see the end result of One Piece. We know these studios are not afraid to bring anime to live action. It's just hard to imagine it will be done faithfully or even look good , if attempted. This may well be a big reimagining.

Same here. :good: 

I agree with Seto regarding some animes doesn't translate very well between formats. Some Japanese production also made animes into live films that doesn't translate very well.

15 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

But for the most successful properties out there, the main obstacle is that there are some things about anime as a format that simply don't translate well (or at all) to a live action project written with western sensibilities in mind.  One Piece is a prime example of that, with its strained-at-best relationship with realism, comedic tone, and unusual art style.

The more I think about it, the more I want to see this.

They seem to be going to some pretty impressive lengths to be faithful to the art style of the original manga, and that means we are very possibly going to see some f***ed up Tim Burton-esque nonsense and some Bollywood action movie-grade CG at the same time.  There's a very real possibility this will be like watching Dragonball Evolution on a literal gallon of acid.

6 hours ago, Bolt said:

We know these studios are not afraid to bring anime to live action. It's just hard to imagine it will be done faithfully or even look good , if attempted.

That's the problem... they're not afraid to do it.  They should be, because every prior attempt has been a failure that finished tens of millions in the red, but they're not.

The optimism on display would be inspiring if it weren't so obviously misplaced. :rofl: 

On 1/31/2023 at 8:14 PM, Seto Kaiba said:

The more I think about it, the more I want to see this.

They seem to be going to some pretty impressive lengths to be faithful to the art style of the original manga, and that means we are very possibly going to see some f***ed up Tim Burton-esque nonsense and some Bollywood action movie-grade CG at the same time.  There's a very real possibility this will be like watching Dragonball Evolution on a literal gallon of acid.

That's the problem... they're not afraid to do it.  They should be, because every prior attempt has been a failure that finished tens of millions in the red, but they're not.

The optimism on display would be inspiring if it weren't so obviously misplaced. :rofl: 

A One Piece live action show?

Two words: Cowboy Bebop. They should have learned their lesson from that one.

• 4 months later...

I... I... what in the actual **** did I just watch? 

I just finished watching this trailer a minute ago and it already feels like a fever dream or a hallucination.  Like... this cannot be a real thing that exists in the world we live in.

It's clear that Netflix learned absolutely nothing from the failure of their Cowboy Bebop adaptation... and I'm not sure if that means this is going to be completely unwatchable or a beautiful disaster.  My need to see this goes beyond Bile Fascination.  I don't just want to see how they're going to **** this up.  I need to see how they're going to **** this up.  This is potentially a watershed moment that will redefine the entire field of ****ing things up.  

I cannot express how very badly I want to see the inevitable edit of this show's opening with the rap song from the aborted 4Kids dub of One Piece.