Disney Pixar's LIGHTYEAR - June 2022

no3Ljm

I saw it at El Capitan in LA today. That place is dope. My 7 and 9 year olds and my wife loved it. I thought it was alright. I was hoping for something more light-hearted with more of a "OMG Buzz is so awesome!" vibe. I probably wanted that because that's what I would think would be a kid's favorite movie. It's not that but still fun. 

22 minutes ago, jenius said:

I saw it at El Capitan in LA today. That place is dope. My 7 and 9 year olds and my wife loved it. I thought it was alright. I was hoping for something more light-hearted with more of a "OMG Buzz is so awesome!" vibe. I probably wanted that because that's what I would think would be a kid's favorite movie. It's not that but still fun. 

Just think of it as the remake of a kid’s favorite movie 

30 minutes ago, jenius said:

That's my big disconnect, it's hard for me to imagine this fairly somber film being a kids favorite movie (or a remake of it). I guess I was expecting something more ID4 or Star Wars.

To be honest I’ve always been confused about toy story as far as when it takes place. Some stuff seems like the 90’s and yea this favorite cowboy show was like something from the 50’s and buzz kinda seems like something out of the 60’s or 70’s. It’s kinda confusing 

Nah, Buzz always had all the gizmos of a mid-90s toy, which was fitting for when the first movie came out.  That was the age of lights and sounds in everything I had.  Those were the days. :lol:

The movie itself though.. I mean, it could still be happy, but we're talking about a smaller-scale Buck Rogers situation.  It's not going to be a very happy setup, and unless they find some way to reverse it, it's not going to get fixed completely.

The few making of shows I have watched on Toy Story say that Buzz went through a number of revisions and one of them was as a fifties space toy.  The overall design still looks a lot like that fifties style toy but with early nineties style electronics.

Saw it today, and though I liked it, I was expecting 'more.' Or that is wrong and I was inspecting 'less,' cause the movie got in pretty deep. I liked it, but others may have been expecting something a little more light and adventurous, and

Spoiler

a story that kicked off a little faster. Doing the multiple tests and time jumps drew the beginning of the story out, though it fed in to Buzz's disconnect with the decedents of the crew he was still trying to get home, even after the original crew had settled down and passed on. Also, was expecting a bigger villain in Zurg than just an older Buzz

21 hours ago, Thom said:

Saw it today, and though I liked it, I was expecting 'more.' Or that is wrong and I was inspecting 'less,' cause the movie got in pretty deep. I liked it, but others may have been expecting something a little more light and adventurous, and

Reveal hidden contents

a story that kicked off a little faster. Doing the multiple tests and time jumps drew the beginning of the story out, though it fed in to Buzz's disconnect with the decedents of the crew he was still trying to get home, even after the original crew had settled down and passed on. Also, was expecting a bigger villain in Zurg than just an older Buzz

You like everything.:D

16 hours ago, sqidd said:

You like everything.:D

So it would (only) seem!:p

But I only liked it and not loved it. It has its flaws. For a Toy Story Universe movie, it wasn't as good as, say, Toy Story 4.

Edited by Thom

I liked it quite a bit. Has more tooth than I was expecting, as others have detailed. 

loved the designs. Ships, armor, it all looked entirely possible and not at all over the top or cartoony… with the exception of the fuel crystal. But hey, if Star Trek can have dilithium crystals…

Disney movies and other Disney media don't need to be great....just good enough...it's only about 15% of their revenue last I checked...

What it does is keep Disney in the public eye, it's the customers paying to experience their parks what matters most...they have no reason to raise the bar on their film and media quality....the hard core fan base will still support them...

zoHxNrgKWhzhvSCQdSriuk-1200-80.jpg

I wanted to go see Lightyear on the big screen, but I think I'll just wait for D+....if the movie is really a flop they will probably get it onto D+ sooner rather than later....

2 hours ago, jvmacross said:

I wanted to go see Lightyear on the big screen, but I think I'll just wait for D+....if the movie is really a flop they will probably get it onto D+ sooner rather than later....

100% agree with this especially after hearing some reviews of it slamming if for "The Message".... Critical Drinker fans will get it. 

20 hours ago, derex3592 said:

100% agree with this especially after hearing some reviews of it slamming if for "The Message".... Critical Drinker fans will get it. 

LOL....I'm more concerned with Disney trying to double-dip into my wallet....was hoping for another Pixar direct-to-D+...

Did Multiverse of Madness on the big screen and regretted it.....think I'll just wait on Lightyear

2 hours ago, jvmacross said:

LOL....I'm more concerned with Disney trying to double-dip into my wallet....was hoping for another Pixar direct-to-D+...

Any opportunity to separate you from your money...🤑