Disney Pixar's LIGHTYEAR - June 2022

no3Ljm

I don't care what the age ranges on those are, I'm planning on picking up any versions of those ships in any size they come.  This is probably the first time in literally decades I've seen a film with designs this good actually milking the merchandise train and producing fun-looking spaceship toys.

Just checked on Amazon, and they've got a few of those ships available, all for about $12.  They look like they might be die-cast, but they all say they're plastic, which I'm actually hoping for, since these are cheap enough I don't feel at all bad doing a few little modifications. :) 

1218112631_ss(2022-04-23at03_40.52).jpg.fe1b9deb2c7e0606832b640f74d47a83.jpg

The bigger ship has a whole bunch of gimmicks to load Buzz into the cockpit and pop him out with his backpack extended, and doesn't look bad at all, but I'm more interested in the smaller ships at this point.  The single-packed XL-01 and XL-02 don't look available quite yet, so I'll probably grab them later, but there is a bundled pack of the XL-01 and XL-15 available now, with some alternate markings (looks like painted crash damage on the XL-01).  I grabbed two of those twin packs and a pair of the Gradius design for now. ^_^ 

The thing I'm absolutely floored about though is that I actually think this might be the first time since the Star Wars Action Fleet line that I have seen spaceship toys at this price point that actually have retractable landing gear.  Am I just forgetting things?  

1 hour ago, Dynaman said:

All look great, my only "problem" is we now have a toy, based on a movie, based on a toy from another movie, that does not look like the toy from the first movie...

Just think of this as the reboot movie based on the old tv show Andy watched as a kid. and now he has to take his son to see this version and the next toy story movie will have all rebooted characters having to deal with the old hand me downs.

2 hours ago, Dynaman said:

All look great, my only "problem" is we now have a toy, based on a movie, based on a toy from another movie, that does not look like the toy from the first movie...

37 minutes ago, Big s said:

Just think of this as the reboot movie based on the old tv show Andy watched as a kid. and now he has to take his son to see this version and the next toy story movie will have all rebooted characters having to deal with the old hand me downs.

Or think of this like the character you're very fond of when you were just a kid, but wasn't able to buy it because your parents were just making enough. And now, that you're all grown up, successful and all, and were able to buy cool looking toys with your own hard earned money, but can't still buy that one specific toy from back then due to its out-of-this-world prices. You decided on to wait and see what's available out there. And now, some company is going to take stab at it but giving their own design twist, you got so excited again because you're finally going to own that one special character you love way back when you were just a kid.

Priceless. :good: 

17 minutes ago, danth said:

I wonder why the Chogokin XL-15 doesn't have the bronze/yellow canopy that some of the other toys do.

Aside from the frame, it looks like the canopy is clear glass in the trailer.

Screen Shot 2022-04-27 at 2.47.02 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-04-27 at 2.48.38 PM.png

1 hour ago, danth said:

I wonder why the Chogokin XL-15 doesn't have the bronze/yellow canopy that some of the other toys do.

I'm gonna guess it is because it is a much more expensive toy, and the semi-opaque canopies are cheaper in some way.

Also possible those cheaper toys are based on earlier revisions of the art.

It finally hit me who this Buzz reminds me of. Anyone remember the 1991 movie Necessary Roughness? He reminds me of this guy..

6EAD98F2-730D-4A1C-8567-F6336F8E4AD5.jpeg.31601c1e635633772224a2f117cb0287.jpeg

B8B9B918-2869-4CBD-B34E-D03DE5DDCCD4.gif.c1fcb623e780d600db7e56bbd1a2ba32.gif

Edited by Dobber

On 12/11/2020 at 10:39 AM, jvmacross said:

A movie within a movie?

Would be cool if it starts with Andy, his wife and son heading into the local movie theatre grabbing some popcorn, then settling in to watch Buzz Lightyear: The Movie!....the movie Andy has waited for all his life! LOL

3 hours ago, Big s said:

Will Disney still make Zurg Buzz's father?...LOL.........I mean, it's canon according to the "Space Ranger" toy line as seen in Toy Story 2, right?  :p

5 hours ago, danth said:

Hmm, maybe in space it has a yellow force field/heat shield or something? I guess we'll know when we see the movie.

Funny thing. this actually literally happens in one of the early trailers, where Buzz activates a shield on the canopy.  Different ship, but no reason to think they don't all have the ability.

1525175951_ss(2022-04-27at07_03.26).jpg.53d7ec15270faf5e39ec15bdf7b0621f.jpg1412263483_ss(2022-04-27at07_03.39).jpg.79298ce7197cdd1348789fb7fa26ae55.jpg

I'll definitely be interested in picking one of the Chogokin versions up, will certainly be a step up from the $12 toy version. :lol:  Would much rather have the XL-01 though, that design is my favorite by far.  I would happily pick up 1/72 kits of any of these if Bandai makes them... I really don't need another pre-order madness franchise to follow.

To be fair to the Mattel ones though, they actually have a decent amount of detail baked into them, but I suspect they are closer to something like 1/100-1/120 scale, despite the 1/60-ish pilot figures.  They only fit in the cockpits laying flat out on their backs, and my impression is that the XL-01 is supposed to be much bigger than the XL-15.  Otherwise, they look like a pretty good fit with HMR-sized stuff.
879092121_ss(2022-04-27at07_22.43).jpg.a76034a91265d1936c3be062d51ee3a1.jpg1024804136_ss(2022-04-27at07_24.27).jpg.f42ba2b5a55dc441acdab6620b60a907.jpg

It's pretty rough, but the pilot from an HMR VF-4 seems close to the proportions of the Buzz in that DX picture above.  He looks about the right size to sit on top of the console in this position.

Fortunately, those DX shots also give me a nice painting guide to add some details to the 15. ^_^  Also still waiting on the XL-02, which reminds me of something I'm still trying to pin down.. maybe one of the old Wing Commander ship designs?  Or maybe something from Freespace..

5 hours ago, no3Ljm said:

Or think of this like the character you're very fond of when you were just a kid, but wasn't able to buy it because your parents were just making enough. And now, that you're all grown up, successful and all, and were able to buy cool looking toys with your own hard earned money, but can't still buy that one specific toy from back then due to its out-of-this-world prices. You decided on to wait and see what's available out there. And now, some company is going to take stab at it but giving their own design twist, you got so excited again because you're finally going to own that one special character you love way back when you were just a kid.

Priceless. :good: 

This is almost literally how I feel about the VF-1.  The old Takatoku valks were something I had no idea existed, and a G1 Jetfire was far beyond my reach.  I found my way into Macross when the Yamato 1/48 was just coming into existence, and when I saw an actual realistic-looking VF-1 that didn't cost the thousands of dollars people were asking for Takatokus on Ebay, I was overjoyed.

I would also be absolutely floored if they do an intro of Andy taking his son to watch this movie in-universe.  Maybe a bit too convoluted for the main release, but I hope Pixar films bonus scenes of it at the very least.

Edited by Chronocidal

33 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

I would also be absolutely floored if they do an intro of Andy taking his son to watch this movie in-universe.  Maybe a bit too convoluted for the main release, but I hope Pixar films bonus scenes of it at the very least.

That would be absolutely glorious, and I trust Disney to lack the heart to do it.

So.. I don't know if this just came up for pre-order or what, but imagine how my mind was blown casually logging into HLJ this morning, and finding the "add to cart" button just.. sitting there.. being functional.

https://www.hlj.com/chogokin-xl-15-space-ship-bans63461

Might be the first time I've ever seen that for a Bandai DX pre-order.

(Though, Anime Export has a slightly better price, FYI).

Judging by the contents list, looks like the landing gear might be detachable, which is a little disappointing, but not a deal breaker for me.  This thing's a lot easier on the wallet than a Valk. ^_^ 

Edited by Chronocidal

On 4/23/2022 at 3:48 PM, Chronocidal said:

Just checked on Amazon, and they've got a few of those ships available, all for about $12.  They look like they might be die-cast, but they all say they're plastic, which I'm actually hoping for, since these are cheap enough I don't feel at all bad doing a few little modifications. :) 

1218112631_ss(2022-04-23at03_40.52).jpg.fe1b9deb2c7e0606832b640f74d47a83.jpg

The bigger ship has a whole bunch of gimmicks to load Buzz into the cockpit and pop him out with his backpack extended, and doesn't look bad at all, but I'm more interested in the smaller ships at this point.  The single-packed XL-01 and XL-02 don't look available quite yet, so I'll probably grab them later, but there is a bundled pack of the XL-01 and XL-15 available now, with some alternate markings (looks like painted crash damage on the XL-01).  I grabbed two of those twin packs and a pair of the Gradius design for now. ^_^ 

The thing I'm absolutely floored about though is that I actually think this might be the first time since the Star Wars Action Fleet line that I have seen spaceship toys at this price point that actually have retractable landing gear.  Am I just forgetting things?  

Check Target; I saw all these there last weekend. I didn't pick any of them up, but I was in total 'Squee' mode after seeing the various designs and thinking about potential LEGO sets. LEGO would be foolish to pass on the opportunity to make more Lightyear sets, especially when these are the designs they're working from.  😍    Besides, we desperately need an alternative to Star Wars on the shelf, and since these are also Disney property, the Mouse is getting its share either way.

Those Buzz and Chogokin XL-15 toys are gorgeous. The XL-15 is such a sweet looking ship.😍  May have to make some mods to the LEGO set to include those lower aft thrusters and some retractable landing gear.  As to questions about the color of the canopy and the seeming disparity between the LEGO set and the film caps/toys, at some point I'm guessing that canopy turns trans-yellow, as it was stated by the director himself that the chief motivation was to get more trans-yellow canopies in LEGO, his being an AFOL. I've never met Angus MacLane formally, but I've seen him at BrickCon (his stuff is usually next to mine, as we both build mecha), but he also designed the Ideas Wall-E set submission, and created a line of pop culture figs, mostly Star Wars, called Cube Dudes. 

Even though this set comes with a UCS style placard, which is becoming increasingly commonplace for System sets of late, I hope the XL-15 gets the UCS treatment, with all the bells and whistles thereof.

Sadly don't have a Target here, and they don't appear to be online, but I might make a trip down to the nearest Walmart this weekend to take a look.  I did check online, but the individual ships were actually twice as much at Walmart as they were on Amazon, with shipping added on top of that.  I do want to get some of the single-packed versions for their different figures and painted details eventually, but it's not a huge priority.  I mostly just want some I can customize. ^_^ 

LEGO-wise, I actually ordered a pair of the XL-15 sets (from Amazon though.. something weird is going on with the main LEGO site at the moment).  I plan on mashing them together to make a bigger one, essentially, and hopefully rebuild it to be a lot more accurate.  It's a nice design, but pretty severely off-model for the ship itself, since they turned the swept intake structures into blunted blocks of bricks, and I think that could be greatly improved with a few slopes and panels.  Think they could have done much better for the tail fins as well, since those shuttle ones are about 3x too tall.  The ship is all extremely angular, and I think building the fuselage out of hinged plates should do wonders for the shape.

Edited by Chronocidal

• 5 weeks later...