Macross Plus Movie Edition - US THEATERS

Is there any answers to where it be available or is this one of those "it'll be everywhere but it'll be at ONE theater at only one select time" deal...?

4 hours ago, TehPW said:

Is there any answers to where it be available or is this one of those "it'll be everywhere but it'll be at ONE theater at only one select time" deal...?

We'll know on november 12 how many theaters it is at(that's when it says general ticket sales start), but it IS telling me "one showtime only", which is unfortunate.

• 3 weeks later...

Locations are listed for this now folks, I don't know what sort of demand there will be, but I'm kind of hoping for a massive sell-out of tickets, just to send a message that there's demand.

Don't know if I'll be able to do it yet myself, just due to travel times to get where I'd want to see it.. who thought it was a good idea to release this late on a tuesday? :rolleyes: 

I purchased the tickets for the boys and I.

18 minutes ago, jvmacross said:

In my area, all three theatres showing this are within 20 minutes from me....however, releasing it as subtitled makes it an easy pass for me...I'd make an exception if it were DYRL

Wait, you won't see it because it is the sub?

9 hours ago, jvmacross said:

In my area, all three theatres showing this are within 20 minutes from me....however, releasing it as subtitled makes it an easy pass for me...I'd make an exception if it were DYRL

Subs>>>>Dubs

Fight me

4 hours ago, jvmacross said:

I'm sure your fighting skills are impressive, but....

- jvmacross, acquirer of rare Macross antiquities:rolleyes:

While the Macross Plus dub is one of the better dubs out there, the subs are still better.
Also the dub is pretty much lost at this point.  Manga Entertainment has long since perished, and therefore the dub would have to be ripped from old VHS or DVD copies, which would be sub par at best, and would be terrible in a theatre.  Plus they would have to resynced to whatever master these are being played from, which, hopefully, is the Blu-Ray or a remaster of the original film reels.

2 minutes ago, Knight26 said:

While the Macross Plus dub is one of the better dubs out there, the subs are still better.
Also the dub is pretty much lost at this point.  Manga Entertainment has long since perished, and therefore the dub would have to be ripped from old VHS or DVD copies, which would be sub par at best, and would be terrible in a theatre.  Plus they would have to resynced to whatever master these are being played from, which, hopefully, is the Blu-Ray or a remaster of the original film reels.

The Macross Plus dubs of the original OVA are the best dubs/voice acting of any anime I have ever watched....bad dubs are the major reason I don't watch much anime because I usually can't get past the awful voice acting and I have no interest in reading subs during an entire movie or series, so for the most part, recent anime has been an easy pass for me.......more importantly...the Movie version of M+ removes one of the best sequences of M+, which is Dyson owning those rogue Zentrans slackers at the beginning of the OVA series.....I can't recall the last time I watched the movie version because I much prefer the OVA.....

2 hours ago, Knight26 said:

the dub would have to be ripped from old VHS or DVD copies, which would be sub par at best,

Actually, "hifi" VHS is VERY good audio, assuming the recording is still in good condition. As in hifi VCRs were used for professional recording for a time.

37 minutes ago, JB0 said:

Actually, "hifi" VHS is VERY good audio, assuming the recording is still in good condition. As in hifi VCRs were used for professional recording for a time.

YEs, but do those masters still exist?

2 hours ago, jvmacross said:

The Macross Plus dubs of the original OVA are the best dubs/voice acting of any anime I have ever watched....bad dubs are the major reason I don't watch much anime because I usually can't get past the awful voice acting and I have no interest in reading subs during an entire movie or series, so for the most part, recent anime has been an easy pass for me.......more importantly...the Movie version of M+ removes one of the best sequences of M+, which is Dyson owning those rogue Zentrans slackers at the beginning of the OVA series.....I can't recall the last time I watched the movie version because I much prefer the OVA.....

Yes, that sequence is amazing and I wish they had left it in the movie.  I think there was a fan edit back in the day that cut it and other scenes back into the movie, and or cut the movie bits back into the OVA.

I am very excited about this, as my wife has been following this for me and told me just a minute ago that this will be coming to a movie theatre in Spokane, WA.   I plan on making an evening of it with my two sons who have grown up listening to me talk about Macross.  Now they get to experience it in a movie theatre, with me!

Twich

5 hours ago, Knight26 said:

YEs, but do those masters still exist?

Yes, on retail VHS tapes that haven't been heavily-used or stored next to a magnet.

That was my point: not that the mastering process for VHS used high-quality sources, but that retail VHS tapes from the late 80s onward had very good audio on them.

Since this was a Fathom release I got lucky with 3 theaters near me. Got tickets for me and a buddy so we're in. Will be interesting to see how many others are going to be in the theater. Still hoping this does well so they release the other movies and (gods willing) add Frontier and Delta to Netflix US.

Got two tickets for myself and a friend, and hopefully some more will RSVP and join in the next few weeks. I've been wanting to see this in theaters for such a long time. I hope there aren't any glaring issues with the presentation - stretching and/or cropping to fit widescreen screens, bad subtitles, etc.