Bandai VF-31AX Kairos Plus - Mirage Type

jvmacross

The Kairos Plus releases gained a quick reputation of being lemons, due to the manufacturing flaws, but I think all of the pre-orders for both Hayate's and Mirage's were placed before anyone knew about the problems, so you've probably got some people who bought up pre-orders trying to dump them now.

Another factor is probably that scalpers have not caught on that there has been a downturn in people willing to pay scalper prices as the world economy slows down. In their "defense" they put their orders in 6-7mo in advance of getting them. The economy can change a lot in that period of time (and did).

So I just got my copy of Mirage’s Kairos Plus…..so, the QC things that people are reporting, the mini gun pod droop and the gaps in the arms and where the arms go into the wings and with the wing pegs going into the legs.

the pegs going into the legs and the arms not seating properly into the wings were all the same issues that I had with my copy of the VF-31E Chuck. I wonder if this is a result of the mold breaking down or if it really is crappy QC from Bandai.

so, for the pegs that go from wings to legs, I did the same as I did for Chucks -31E….I took my knife and whittled down the peg width. 
I don’t like to cut on brand new toys, but I need the wing pegs to fit into the legs correctly.

Twich

2 hours ago, twich said:

So I just got my copy of Mirage’s Kairos Plus…..so, the QC things that people are reporting, the mini gun pod droop and the gaps in the arms and where the arms go into the wings and with the wing pegs going into the legs.

the pegs going into the legs and the arms not seating properly into the wings were all the same issues that I had with my copy of the VF-31E Chuck. I wonder if this is a result of the mold breaking down or if it really is crappy QC from Bandai.

so, for the pegs that go from wings to legs, I did the same as I did for Chucks -31E….I took my knife and whittled down the peg width. 
I don’t like to cut on brand new toys, but I need the wing pegs to fit into the legs correctly.

Twich

Interesting, I never had that issue with either of my original Chuck releases.  Wonder if there was some damage to the molds somewhere during his run.

It is interesting to note after having the VF-31AX-Mirage for 24 hours:

-the behind the cockpit gap seems easier to fix

-the stand arm is so much beefier, which makes it more sturdy/secure while transporting while on stand

-I like the way they did the canards, it seems easier to deal with and more realistic.

-applied paint is beautiful, especially the itashi(sp?)

While I’m not thrilled with the QC fit issues, I am very happy with this purchase, being the single most expensive Macross Jet for me to date.

Twich

Got my first Mirage (of two, though who knows if the Luna Park one will ever ship), and it's... confusing.  Feels like the only thing consistent about this release is the inconsistency.

On the positive side, this one actually fixed all of the alignment issues I had with the arms on both of my Hayate copies.  Forearms slide without issue, elbows all align well, doors sit nice and flush under the wings, and the cannons naturally sit level, and flush against the undersides without any droop at all.

On the other end of things, this one worsened a small issue I had with Hayate's, where the arm shield on the right arm was difficult to disengage from the underside of the wing.  This one would not budge, and I had to bend and flex the wing all over the place before that snap would pop free.  Also, one of the leg tabs was still far too big to slot into the ankle.. but the other worked fine?  I wound up trimming out the recess around that arm shield tab to let it pop free easier, and did the usual filing of the wing tab to fit in place.

From the "meh" perspective, this one came sloppily mis-transformed, and completely floppy out of the box, because nothing could snap together.  I pulled it out, and the whole thing flopped apart at the chest pivot.  Whoever packed it had twisted part of the neck plate assembly around the wrong way, and it prevented the intakes from snapping in.  One ankle and one knee also seemed stuck before completely collapsing, but those were fixed by some extra pressure and massaging.

Also got Hayate's super packs shipped with this, so I might just slap them on this one to give them a test fit, rather than dig out his valk.

Overall.. better fit and finish on this one than either Hayate release I have, but I can't say they're actually getting better.  It just feels completely random what sorts of flaws these get.

19 minutes ago, Lolicon said:

First Bandai valk? 8)

Hah.. well, I should say more random than usual.  This isn't a lottery on whether you get flaws.. this is a lottery of what grab bag of screwups you happen to get.  

The fact that one wing tab fit, and the other didn't baffles me.  How does that even happen?  If it was a mold flaw, then it should be consistent, right?  Why would they fix one, but not the other?

It's feeling less like these are design and engineering flaws, and more just completely slapdash production problems.  Nothing's actually similar between any two of the three 31AXs I have.

1 hour ago, no3Ljm said:

Aside from the all the things mentioned with Mirage's release, does anyone here has one of their hands trap door cover won't sit flush properly in Fighter mode?

Yo!

39 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

It's feeling less like these are design and engineering flaws, and more just completely slapdash production problems.  Nothing's actually similar between any two of the three 31AXs I have.

Yep, this seems like production and QC issues. I'm guessing there's been a lot of changes in the factories Bandai outsources these to (pretty sure the DX aren't made in-house).

I’ve rarely had a valk that was problem-free out of the box, but it definitely has gotten worse since covid. I read on other forums that factories running at reduced capacity and hours in China due to shutdowns. Bandai’s retracted presence in quality control with scheduled production deadline to meet does not help the situation either. Back to Mirage, both of my copies have issues in various places but I take what I can get in these crazy times.🤣

5 hours ago, no3Ljm said:

Aside from the all the things mentioned with Mirage's release, does anyone here has one of their hands trap door cover won't sit flush properly in Fighter mode?

Not on my mirage but it is on my chuck.

When i fully straigthen the wing the hand trap dor just burst open.

Still doesn't know how to fix this sadly

5 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

Hah.. well, I should say more random than usual.  This isn't a lottery on whether you get flaws.. this is a lottery of what grab bag of screwups you happen to get.  

The fact that one wing tab fit, and the other didn't baffles me.  How does that even happen?  If it was a mold flaw, then it should be consistent, right?  Why would they fix one, but not the other?

as I have said in a previous post, I think that this might be a combination of mold flaw and bad QC on bandai's part.  The same issues that I had with the wing tabs with my copy of the VF-31E were present on my VF-31AX Mirage.

Twich

I have this on my Mirage too, even transforming the toy totally and resetting everything, it does not go back flush with anything, and as an added bonus, the knife in the arm shield mount will not stay connected and when I transform it back into fighter, it just detaches and rattles around in the wing.

With that said, I love the toy and I am glad that I acquired it, and I hope that when Bandai announces a SV-303 or a new SV-262, they have improved the QC and ironed out the kinks, as these are some toys that I really want to get and love.

Twich

• 4 weeks later...
15 hours ago, borgified said:

Anyone getting either the Silpheed Armor/Supers if and when the pre-orders go online? Just getting the Supers only if anyone is asking,  

For now just Supers for me on both Hayate and Mirage VF-31AX. I'll probably consider an Armor for Mirage if ever there will be one. You?

For me, I think it may depend on how much they are featured in the Zettai Live movie. Honestly though, I'm not a huge fan of the full armor for the toy. It feels so clunky, not fun to transform, and I can never find a good place to put my fingers without constantly knocking pieces off. In fighter mode, the design looks more at home in some side scrolling Sega or Konami shoot 'em up from the 90's. At best, I'll put them on for display purposes, but for handling, the super parts are superior. 

5 minutes ago, MacrossJunkie said:

For me, I think it may depend on how much they are featured in the Zettai Live movie. Honestly though, I'm not a huge fan of the full armor for the toy. It feels so clunky, not fun to transform, and I can never find a good place to put my fingers without constantly knocking pieces off. In fighter mode, the design looks more at home in some side scrolling Sega or Konami shoot 'em up from the 90's. At best, I'll put them on for display purposes, but for handling, the super parts are superior. 

Definitely agreed.  The armor parts are too oversized and cumbersome to look or function well on a toy.

I don't mind picking up a set though, just to collect the whole set, and I actually kind of enjoy putting little bits and pieces of the different armor sets together.  Those big ballistic and beam cannon attachments are kind of fun, even without the rest of the set.

Definitely agreed.  The armor parts are too oversized and cumbersome to look or function well on a toy.

I don't mind picking up a set though, just to collect the whole set, and I actually kind of enjoy putting little bits and pieces of the different armor sets together.  Those big ballistic and beam cannon attachments are kind of fun, even without the rest of the set.

Agreed with you. I enjoy too.

20 hours ago, chriswoo said:

haha just use the existing one then painted it maroon color 😜

Arad's? Some parts will not fit with the AX. So, no. :p 

10 hours ago, borgified said:

The Silpheed Armor for Mirage is a maybe @no3Ljm.

As much as I like Arad's head design and its neutral color on his AX, I'll probably stop with Mirage's and her Armor if it gets made. ;) 

Edited by no3Ljm

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I still say the Silpheed Armour is overkill for Mirage’s 31ax even though it’s shown in the second movie, so it’s a still a no go for me. 

Even though it’s a repaint of Arad’s Silpheed in “The Next Best Girl’s” colour splash and with the M&M tattoo, I like it as with the Supers. Why trick out a pretend “Go Fast” valk with false armour when it’s already under powered and has the guts of a Cannon Fodder 31a? :unknw:

• 8 months later...

A bit late to the party, but I finally opened my Mirage 31-AX.

She’s a bit of a mess. The fit issues aren’t as noticeable as in my Hayate, but she’s got some new ones.

Most notably is a couple of spots that weren’t glued properly, the crotch plate and one of the trailing edges of the wings.

The other big spot is getting both intakes/legs to peg in properly and not dislodge the other while handling.

I’m mildly annoyed, but mostly happy. I knew going into it that it was a flawed toy, so no surprises.