Bandai VF-31AX Kairos Plus - Mirage Type

jvmacross

I got mine today and I have to say that they somehow made this worse than Hayate's.

While the pegs in the wings seem to fit in the legs they don't stay in. Also the back of the right wing appears to be missing something as it won't stay together and probably needs to be glued. This is especially bad when the wing is pegged in or at least attempting to, as it forces it apart even more.20220510_120417.jpg.d6283d812bbe5132951f1545d0b14d7c.jpg

The front chest flap is also so loose that moving the figure back and forth is enough to make the flap well... flap around. Not an ounce of friction keeping it in place. Holding it face down just makes it open like the pic below.

20220510_120601.jpg.ed93bb43152d3ad58b52a13c1d2c0ec0.jpg

Overall, the joints feel looser too. Not very happy with this.

4 hours ago, MacrossJunkie said:

I got mine today and I have to say that they somehow made this worse than Hayate's.

While the pegs in the wings seem to fit in the legs they don't stay in. Also the back of the right wing appears to be missing something as it won't stay together and probably needs to be glued. This is especially bad when the wing is pegged in or at least attempting to, as it forces it apart even more.20220510_120417.jpg.d6283d812bbe5132951f1545d0b14d7c.jpg

The front chest flap is also so loose that moving the figure back and forth is enough to make the flap well... flap around. Not an ounce of friction keeping it in place. Holding it face down just makes it open like the pic below.

Superglue should keep those wing pieces shut. It’s funny because normally my problem’s the opposite them using too much glue! I haven’t yet transformed into battroid but something tells me I am going to have the same flapper.😉 If so I may try some kiki or nail polish.

5 hours ago, MacrossJunkie said:

Superglue should keep those wing pieces shut. It’s funny because normally my problem’s the opposite them using too much glue! I haven’t yet transformed into battroid but something tells me I am going to find the same flapper.😉 If so I may try some kiki or nail polish.

5 minutes ago, eXis10z said:

Is the Hayate version the one with more QC issues in general? I have both incoming but only intend to keep 1, so it's down to either Hayate or Mirage.

Think there haven't been enough reports on Mirage to make any kind of call on that yet.  We know Hayate's had a load of issues, but it'll be a bit before we can make a good comparison.

26 minutes ago, eXis10z said:

Is the Hayate version the one with more QC issues in general? I have both incoming but only intend to keep 1, so it's down to either Hayate or Mirage.

In my specific case, the Hayate version is actually better and Mirage's is worse.

26 minutes ago, no3Ljm said:

How absurd it's going to be if Bogue's release got fix? :aggressive:

It's a feature, not a bug!

Ill-fitting wing tabs just means its even easier to transform from fighter to battroid! No more having to spend hours pulling out overly tight tabs! 

1 hour ago, Chronocidal said:

Think there haven't been enough reports on Mirage to make any kind of call on that yet.  We know Hayate's had a load of issues, but it'll be a bit before we can make a good comparison.

1 hour ago, MacrossJunkie said:

In my specific case, the Hayate version is actually better and Mirage's is worse.

Fair enough. Looks like I'll be holding on to both for a while before deciding. Hayate's seem more desirable due to the special base for now.

Haven't heard a word from Luna Park (ordered it the day of the pre-order when I missed out on all the usual online stores).  I emailed them today with a very polite ask - we'll see if anything comes of that.

Wow, got a pretty quick email response saying that the parcel is ready and I should receive it by next week (hope its pack ok).

2 hours ago, no3Ljm said:

That's kind of dodgy. I know they mentioned here before that they did have some 'contacts' over at Bandai. Why get it from other store? :unknw:

They're doing the old NY trick.

So far they seem to be staying in their lane though. When they start overselling what they can get a hold of and not filling orders that will be when the slippery slope starts.

5 hours ago, Bolt said:

Is there a VF without QC issues ? At this point, I would think Bandai has the VF-31 mold dialed in. Granted , it's got a few design changes from the Siegfried,  but..🤷

I think the original VF-31 line was about as good as you can get on quality control from Bandai, minus a few fit issues around the spine from that ever-present gap behind the cockpit.  They did have the VF-31 dialed in... they just managed to blast it all into oblivion by somehow screwing up a bunch of things they had already solved, and making the new variants worse in a fair number of ways (adding in more over-complicated mechanisms, and somehow just flat out forgetting to check part tolerances).

I'm fairly sure we'll never know how they managed to pull that off, but it seems pretty likely they had to contract work out to cheaper factories to get these production runs completed in the middle of all the supply chain issues.  They haven't even tried to get a new VF-1 release out in months, and it looks like they're struggling to even get the few new Delta releases manufactured on time.

48 minutes ago, Toonz said:

I really don't like this thing cos it looks like Mirage is flying a thermometer on the back. How do I remove it? errrrrr......

thumbnail.jpg.05d753fa39cbf9871562f1e3445f5272.jpg

Just like the previous VF-31, you can carefully pull the whole thing out from the peg. :good: 

Edited by no3Ljm

2 hours ago, Toonz said:

its really tight, i might break something....

You need to detach the container from the support arm that brings the container up to the back of the Battroid-Mode not pull on the support arm to remove it from the fuselage like on the YF-30.

Maybe you should also check if there was a change in the mold on Mirage that might prevent the container from being removed.

I haven’t shipped mine yet so I can’t check that in person. In theory it should work like in the video @no3Ljm shared.

Basically, just pinch with finger and thumb around the tip of the spine.  It's tapered, so you'll just squeeze the pod off of the mount.

If they permanently mounted it on Mirage's, I'm actually going to be pissed, because it looks so much better with the original pod. :p 

4 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

Basically, just pinch with finger and thumb around the tip of the spine.  It's tapered, so you'll just squeeze the pod off of the mount.

If they permanently mounted it on Mirage's, I'm actually going to be pissed, because it looks so much better with the original pod. :p 

There's no change. It's the same as every VF-31 variant before it.  @Toonz Just hold onto the base of the spine mount, grab the container with the other hand and twist side to side while pulling. It should come right off.20220512_210141.jpg.041f7df9a9a72191421043267799599b.jpg

14 hours ago, MacrossJunkie said:

Lol, nice. But I thought you'd be taking the temp from the other end 😉

14 hours ago, Toonz said:

for the general audience 😅

You guys are seriously bored out if your minds right and pulling off that snarky joke.. 

That’s what you gave to do when your in the Medical Field and also while working with animals and you think that it’s friggin funny.<_<

Edit: I’m really not in the mood for jokes as I’m taking this one personally. I’m not taking no crap from anyone. 

Edited by borgified