Bandai VF-31AX Kairos Plus - Mirage Type

jvmacross

6 hours ago, Master Dex said:

Yeah that's mostly true of me too.

I remember the 31A. All those failed NY orders... I got mine through CDJapan though. Still sits on my top shelf.

Right now, I'm just crossing all of my fingers and toes that Bandai releases an armored Kairos to capitalize on that production art we saw, especially if they actually offer a different number. :p 

I'll buy another two easily if I can get ahold of them.

2 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

Right now, I'm just crossing all of my fingers and toes that Bandai releases an armored Kairos to capitalize on that production art we saw, especially if they actually offer a different number. :p 

I'll buy another two easily if I can get ahold of them.

Production art shows a01. Who knows? ;)

1.png.6b12bf9532732f655d54c4464c4054f0.png

On 11/24/2021 at 5:26 PM, Chronocidal said:

I'm actually wondering if they designed the 31Ax to be able to use the existing Arad armor.  Even with the new tail and wing hinge arrangement, it looks like those booster packs are the same as the old ones, and mounted at the same angle as the regular 31s.

I'm not so sure about that.  In the trailer the Boosters on Hayates Valk are clearly rotated like the newer packs function.  In terms of the toy they might be able to make a minor change to the attachment point but essentially keep the rest that same.  It looks like the configuration is the same.  The missiles are on the outside and the boosters are stacked on top of each other so the whole pack hasn't been rotated so it's likely just a modified mounting point.

Hayate-Armor.jpg.f82afb8f3883baf0fe8c762d65107ec8.jpg

Edited by Mommar

On 11/25/2021 at 10:57 PM, Mommar said:

I'm not so sure about that.  In the trailer the Boosters on Hayates Valk are clearly rotated like the newer packs function.  In terms of the toy they might be able to make a minor change to the attachment point but essentially keep the rest that same.  It looks like the configuration is the same.  The missiles are on the outside and the boosters are stacked on top of each other so the whole pack hasn't been rotated so it's likely just a modified mounting point.

Hayate-Armor.jpg.f82afb8f3883baf0fe8c762d65107ec8.jpg

I wonder if the added groove and hole on the new folding section of the wing shown below (which the old 31 didn't have) will help to support the rotating motion of the new 31AX Packs. And if so, would it rotate directly where it attaches (the root of the folded wing) or it will rotate within the pack portion?

item_0000013691_9fma9yAb_03.jpg.1622164521d2832334040584eaac3dd4.jpg

3 hours ago, no3Ljm said:

I wonder if the added groove and hole on the new folding section of the wing shown below (which the old 31 didn't have) will help to support the rotating motion of the new 31AX Packs. And if so, would it rotate directly where it attaches (the root of the folded wing) or it will rotate within the pack portion?

The previous wing attachments were done really well.  That new attachment looks like how the lil drakens fit on the 262/31 mod.  I.e. crap.

3 hours ago, no3Ljm said:

Loks like 100Mega answered my question in the AX Hayate thread.  This pic has the super parts on and it looks like it just ports into the slot with nothing else holding and it just rotates.  That seems like a precarious option for the armor parts, hopefully it’s a modified version of the old part with the option to fold the boosters down.  That would hold a lot better.

435E60B2-EF23-4A73-B9DE-35F6EB8767DE.jpeg

8 minutes ago, Mommar said:

Loks like 100Mega answered my question in the AX Hayate thread.  This pic has the super parts on and it looks like it just ports into the slot with nothing else holding and it just rotates.  That seems like a precarious option for the armor parts, hopefully it’s a modified version of the old part with the option to fold the boosters down.  That would hold a lot better.

Is it just me, or does that attachment look like the universal Bandai weapon hardpoints?

If so, we could slot these onto the SV-262 as well. Or a YF-30, or a YF-19, or a VF-171.

5 hours ago, Sanity is Optional said:

Is it just me, or does that attachment look like the universal Bandai weapon hardpoints?

If so, we could slot these onto the SV-262 as well. Or a YF-30, or a YF-19, or a VF-171.

Hmmm the new AX wing hinge does look like having an universal weapon hardpoint, to me.
We can only be sure when its out.

edit: screengrab from the TN demo..

31axfp.jpg.57b582ce09a3cac52a9f00d69fcc7f78.jpg

What are you thinking of? Mounting the boosters underside the wing of a YF-30,19,171?
Or more like missiles on the 31AX folded wings 😃...

Edited by seti88

4 minutes ago, badboy00z said:

Is the forearm guns bigger than the regular 31? In fighter mode it looks like it's sits lower.

The VF-31AX series does have distinct changes from the VF-31, and the forearm guns are noticeably larger. The wing is noticeably thicker in general too. Those two combined would be why they sit lower.

2 hours ago, Sanity is Optional said:

YF-19 with boosters and missile on a 31-AX?

twin long 31AX boosters on the 19. why not? 😄

The 19 missiles may look too tiny in replacement of the boosters.

10534411a18_m.jpg.6d46825f7a0fb0309712e50fed61d25d.jpg168356732_51mlUcR0ZL.jpg.73a1ff17b0f8824b7561057decbfe48d.jpg

DX twin reaction missiles might seem more appropriate on the folded wing tips :crazy:

Cant wait for someone to try tho.

Edited by seti88

18 hours ago, seti88 said:

Hmmm the new AX wing hinge does look like having an universal weapon hardpoint, to me.
We can only be sure when its out.

edit: screengrab from the TN demo..

31axfp.jpg.57b582ce09a3cac52a9f00d69fcc7f78.jpg

What are you thinking of? Mounting the boosters underside the wing of a YF-30,19,171?
Or more like missiles on the 31AX folded wings 😃...

Good shot, but that's a bad idea.  The Lil Drakens already don't hold great on the 262 or the adapter for the previous 31.  Those boosters are even larger and the Armored versions are larger still.  They're going to be falling off every time you look at them.

1 hour ago, Mommar said:

Good shot, but that's a bad idea.  The Lil Drakens already don't hold great on the 262 or the adapter for the previous 31.  Those boosters are even larger and the Armored versions are larger still.  They're going to be falling off every time you look at them.

So.. just like the VF-19 Advance boosters then? :p

They really had a good thing going with the original VF-31 booster mounts, I really really hope they don't screw it up.

39 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

So.. just like the VF-19 Advance boosters then? :p

They really had a good thing going with the original VF-31 booster mounts, I really really hope they don't screw it up.

Those 19 boosters are the worst...

Unless there's an extra clamp or they're SUPER tight (I can't imagine Bandai will have suddenly learned to make their accessories LIGHTER) we're guaranteed to have questionable attachments.  You really wouldn't want something that heavy hanging off a tiny mount like that the whole time.

5 hours ago, Mommar said:

Since the 31AX wings are thicker, maybe the only way to secure it is to have deeper recesses in the hardpoints? 
Based on the actual design, i dont see much choice for bandai to implement a more secure connection. 

Or maybe the boosters are indeed lighter than usual...carbon fibre plastics and what not hahah...😅

6 hours ago, Sanity is Optional said:

Likely they made the attachment points deeper. This would prevent putting the supers on other hard points, but still allow using other stuff on the 31-AX hard points.

I would hope it's at least improved that much, but considering how sloppy the big rocket packs on the massive armor pack are, I really have no faith in their ability to make anything stay in place.

I know Bandai can make sturdy ratcheting joints.. they just frequently choose not to, for some reason.

• 1 month later...
On 12/5/2021 at 6:14 PM, Chronocidal said:

I would hope it's at least improved that much, but considering how sloppy the big rocket packs on the massive armor pack are, I really have no faith in their ability to make anything stay in place.

I know Bandai can make sturdy ratcheting joints.. they just frequently choose not to, for some reason.

I guess mine isn't the only junky one.

I'm not upset because I don't play with my toys once on display. But, I would be happier if I knew it was top quality.

• 1 month later...

One month delay is good for me, however there’s a possibility that fair bit of collectors that are crabby about it being delayed: “I want it right now.”

Cue up Veruca Salt memes stomping on the floor and having a hissy fit. A toy that causes a matter of life and death situations 

@no3Ljm - Nah... Bandai is going to do what they do best. Screw it up more and use more Super Glue to make it fit so we can toss it against the wall like the 262 Hs in frustration. 🤣

Might as well put a firecracker/grenade/Molotov Cocktail bomb on the screwed up 31ax, light it up and see it blow up to pieces like Evil Ralph on Toy Story.