Macross 40th Anniversary Thread. What are you expecting?

Gerli

• 2 weeks later...

What would I like?

At least something from/for SDF Macross or DYRL or Macross 2  that we don't already have.  

A DX Chogokin TV Quaedluun-Rau, or a Figuarts SDF Zentraedi Soldier, or  a Bandai HMR Regult Scout, or a Hasegawa DYRL Nousjadeul-Ger, or artwork of any of these or similar by Tenjin Hidetaka, or an animation update of SDFM, or a new animation series more along the lines of Frontier than Delta, or more space opera music by Yoko Kanno.

What am I expecting?

More boring idol crap and valkyrie repaints.

Oh wait, this appears to be exactly what they are doing. How predictable.😞

Edited by Podtastic

1 hour ago, Zethus said:

Well, at WonderCon 2022. They announced that Fathom Events is bringing the Macross Frontier movies to theaters

Predictable, but entirely welcome.

I just hope they have fewer technical glitches this time.  The Macross Plus screening went well in my neck of the woods, but for others it had a number of issues.

I have a theory on why there hasn’t been an announcement for a Blu-Ray release of Macross Plus yet is that BIGWEST is in the middle of a deal with some company (don’t know who but I think that they are going to be spending a hefty amount of money just to license it)

Also, I think that the license is in a bidding war with companies like Crunchyroll, Amazon or Netflix trying to nab the license 

10 minutes ago, Zethus said:

I have a theory on why there hasn’t been an announcement for a Blu-Ray release of Macross Plus yet is that BIGWEST is in the middle of a deal with some company (don’t know who but I think that they are going to be spending a hefty amount of money just to license it)

Also, I think that the license is in a bidding war with companies like Crunchyroll, Amazon or Netflix trying to nab the license 

TBH, I doubt it.

It's likely nothing more than Big West planning to begin releasing Macross globally as part of their big 40th Anniversary events.

Licensing is going to be a little bit more complicated due to Harmony Gold's peripheral involvement as Big West's junior partner in distribution now, but not unduly so, and they have a pre-existing business relationship with Funimation who own Crunchyroll and are in the midst of migrating their entire library to it.

When are we gonna be able to buy Macross toys here in the United States without having to import? Has anything changed on that front?

Just now, Drad said:

When are we gonna be able to buy Macross toys here in the United States without having to import? Has anything changed on that front?

The first round is already on offer... the worldwide Macross VF-25.

2 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

The first round is already on offer... the worldwide Macross VF-25.

That looks like a great one-off piece. I really like the deco they chose for it. I'm mainly a fan of the VF-1 (I know, I know. Boring) but I might pick up that VF-25 Anniversary Valk just for the colors and the Skull insignia. I would love to see the DX VF-1 Valks offered domestically but something tells me that most of the people who want those will already have them by the time that happens, if it does.

Oh well. As long as the ball is rolling for Macross toys here in the U.S., I'm happy. Gosh, it's been an incredibly long time coming.

22 minutes ago, Bolt said:

he WWM VF-25 is quite awesome, actually

Its just another Valkyrie. It was already available.

Awesome is something like a Quaedluun-Rau or a DYRL Nousjadeul-Ger.

Things will be moving forward when decent new anime and Zentraedi mecha starts being released world wide. 

Edited by Podtastic

I'd like to have some Macross 2 stuff, some official figures would be nice.. Also, Maybe just more older Macross stuff in general. Call me crazy, but a figure of Minmay that's a decent scale and looks nice (That wouldn't cost an arm and a leg) as there's only the old figures and the arcadia ones (Cm's look nice, but are either crazy expensive or small). I'd also kill for some new transformable valkyrie kits as well, as the ones i've seen of older series are rare and old ( brittle joints are my worst fear, I think). It'd also be nice to have the old Macross soundtracks on streaming services alongside the new ones too. maybe a translations of the various Macross books as well? Kinda doubting that last one. More U.S. Movie screenings would be what I hope they do the most, as I couldn't make the Plus screening.  

7 hours ago, Podtastic said:

Its just another Valkyrie. It was already available.

"It's just another of one of the main things about this franchise."

7 hours ago, Podtastic said:

Things will be moving forward when decent new anime 

That sentence needed to end a bit earlier than it did.

6 hours ago, no3Ljm said:

DeCulture!! Mixture!!!!! is now up on both Music and Spotify!

main_all.jpg.896a8e9c3c33c10a34987b32d743c1e8.jpg

YouTube Music as well, apparently.

43 minutes ago, Macross-Plus said:

I'd like to have some Macross 2 stuff, some official figures would be nice.

We had a few of those not so long ago... the Evolution Toy VF-2SS and the Bandai Hi-Metals.

17 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

"It's just another of one of the main things about this franchise."

Just one. But its treated as if its the only one mechawise, and stuff all the other mecha.

Its not even the most visually interesting.  Its just an aeroplane really. It turns into a giant robot but only the robot's head is distinctive, the rest of it is rather boxy.

11 hours ago, pengbuzz said:

See reply #1 for details. Frankly though, those lack diversity in combat situations.

Those battlesuits are much better looking, and also harder to come by.

Am I the only one who thinks a transforming combat mecha is asking for trouble? Nothing can ever go wrong with all those mid-combat transformations right.

11 hours ago, pengbuzz said:

I think Seto hit that one right on the nailhead

When have you ever disagreed with him?

Edited by Podtastic

54 minutes ago, pengbuzz said:

ooks mean squat in combat; performance matters.

Obviously I'm speaking as a collector here. And, equally obviously, the mecha in Macross are NOT designed purely for functionality, they're meant to be visually appealing.

57 minutes ago, pengbuzz said:

In that case, what about all the myriad moving parts in the Zentraedi combat suits?

Point taken. But are you arguing that the Zentraedi mecha are more complicated and less rugged and standardised?

59 minutes ago, pengbuzz said:

And at least earth can repair their mecha; the Zentraedi are still trying to get a replacement window for Briti's command bridge. :rofl:

That is not a feature of the mecha themselves though. And they need to take those back to workshops to be repaired by skilled technicians. Just like a certain tank in a certain war.

The Zentraedi stuff is standardised. And apparently reliable, as demonstrated by that Nousjadeul-Ger cannon that still functioned after who knows how long floating in space.

1 hour ago, pengbuzz said:

On many occasions, in fact.

Well then, I must have missed it. But then I don't follow him around on the forums.

1 hour ago, pengbuzz said:

Rather than automatically disagreeing with him constantly no matter the topic.

You fail to notice that he often disagrees with things I post as well.

Seto and I disagree on many things. But so what really, there's no antagonism about it. 

6 hours ago, Podtastic said:

Just one. But its treated as if its the only one mechawise, and stuff all the other mecha.

At the risk of pointing out the obvious, Valkyries make up the overwhelming majority of the mecha in Macross.

So it's not "just one"... it's the single largest category of mecha in the franchise by an absolutely overwhelming margin and the only one which is consistently relevant with each new installment in the franchise.  Destroids and the Zentradi mecha basically tapped out after Macross II and didn't become even tangentially relevant again until Frontier, and even then their relevance was ONLY tangential.  

It's hardly surprising that merchandising favors the Valkyries when they're basically 100% of the "hero" mecha in the series and around half of the antagonist mecha (via 7ZeroFrontier, and Delta).

6 hours ago, Podtastic said:

Its not even the most visually interesting.  Its just an aeroplane really. It turns into a giant robot but only the robot's head is distinctive, the rest of it is rather boxy.

I get that you like to be a contrarian, but do try to align with reality sometime eh?

Valkyries are the attention-getters for the Macross franchise.  Always have been.  And they were and are considered VERY distinctive, inspiring a frankly massive wave of copycats and homages that is STILL ongoing.  It says a lot that one of Gundam's all-time most iconic designs is an acknowledged Valkyrie homage (the MSZ-006 Zeta Gundam).

18 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

At the risk of pointing out the obvious, Valkyries make up the overwhelming majority of the mecha in Macross.

So it's not "just one"... it's the single largest category of mecha in the franchise by an absolutely overwhelming margin and the only one which is consistently relevant with each new installment in the franchise.  Destroids and the Zentradi mecha basically tapped out after Macross II and didn't become even tangentially relevant again until Frontier, and even then their relevance was ONLY tangential.  

It's hardly surprising that merchandising favors the Valkyries when they're basically 100% of the "hero" mecha in the series and around half of the antagonist mecha (via 7ZeroFrontier, and Delta).

So you've described the problem. And then?

18 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

get that you like to be a contrarian, but do try to align with reality sometime eh?

Valkyries are the attention-getters for the Macross franchise.  Always have been.  And they were and are considered VERY distinctive, inspiring a frankly massive wave of copycats and homages that is STILL ongoing.  It says a lot that one of Gundam's all-time most iconic designs is an acknowledged Valkyrie homage (the MSZ-006 Zeta Gundam).

Lemmings favour them. So what?

The Regult looks better.