Macross 40th Anniversary Thread. What are you expecting?

Gerli

Screen Shot 2021-11-19 at 7.34.22 PM.png

I was thinking on make this thread for some time... we're less than a year away from 40th anniversary so... what are our hopes or expectations?

For me is a new TV series of course, but unless it is already in production for quite some time I don't think it will be ready on time.

Edited by Gerli

1 hour ago, isamu said:

I thought the TV series originally came out in 1984, with RT following a year later?

Nope.  October 3, 1982 was the premier of the first episode from SDFM.

The film adaptation premiered in Japan on July 7, 1984.  So the 40th Anniversary for DYRL? will be in 2024.

6 hours ago, uzernaem said:

New BD remaster with better color balance and some animation errors fixes.

The color balance is fine. Nostalgia for incorrect and washed out analog video colors is silly.

2 hours ago, Gerli said:

If they remake only the episode 25 would be glorious.

But the post-war arc is the best part of the original....

Either way a remake would be a giant waste of everyone's time. Both the creators' and the audiences. The original series is not only fantastic, but historically significant. Sure the animation quality is very uneven, but the high points are so high that they left a permanent mark on the entire industry and inspired an entire generation of new creators. Plus any attempt at a remake is guaranteed to be extremely cheap and lazy. Out of all the digitally made Macross projects only the 2nd Frontier movie put in an above average effort into its character animation so any prospect for future projects doesn't look good.

1 hour ago, TMBounty_Hunter said:

The color balance is fine. Nostalgia for incorrect and washed out analog video colors is silly.

They are a bit washed out on the 2012 BD release though, compared to something like Mobile Suit Gundam BD release which looks fantastic.

A BD remastered release with English subtitles, TV SDF-1, 40th anniversary scheme VF-1J  and figure models with special outfits, remastered or concert version of TV soundtrack, and limited time pop up shop with exclusive goods.

2 hours ago, uzernaem said:

They are a bit washed out on the 2012 BD release though, compared to something like Mobile Suit Gundam BD release which looks fantastic.

I disagree. Bandai Visual's Gundam releases are notoriously overfiltered and oversaturated. 
It's honestly a surprise that SDF ended up being unmolested.

1 hour ago, kajnrig said:

How much of the original show/movie does The First remix? And last I heard it was canceled, yay/nay?

I don't know, I just want to see that sexy version of Hikaru's VF-1J animated.

2 hours ago, kajnrig said:

How much of the original show/movie does The First remix? And last I heard it was canceled, yay/nay?

Cancelled, "rebooted", cancelled again. Both times before the first space fold.

The second time was in the middle of an extended flashback to Roy's service in the Unification Wars.

My impression(and if I'm wrong, someone please correct me) is that the biggest problem was that pretty much any job Mikimoto can get pays better than manga chapters. The First's publication was contingent upon there being dry spells in his illustration work, and he wound up with a LOT of illustration work available.

3 hours ago, JB0 said:

Cancelled, "rebooted", cancelled again. Both times before the first space fold.

The second time was in the middle of an extended flashback to Roy's service in the Unification Wars.

My impression(and if I'm wrong, someone please correct me) is that the biggest problem was that pretty much any job Mikimoto can get pays better than manga chapters. The First's publication was contingent upon there being dry spells in his illustration work, and he wound up with a LOT of illustration work available.

It got further than the first space fold in its first run. The last thing before they did the flashback started was introducing Lap Lamiz and Milia. 

I want a full fledge remake of the TV series with full VR support! Meaning, we can watch the show in VR using our VR headsets like ie an Oculus Quest, and during the show we are allowed to put ourselves in the Macross world with full VR support. For example, during the scenes when Minmay is holding her concert, we can watch it in VR with the option to put ourselves right at the front row of the concert. Another example would be when Hikaru has a dogfight in the Valkarie. The VR version will allow us just see the action from his eyes sitting in the cockpit of the Valkarie. That's just some examples of what we'll be able to do in the VR remake.

10 hours ago, isamu said:

I want a full fledge remake of the TV series with full VR support! Meaning, we can watch the show in VR using our VR headsets like ie an Oculus Quest, and during the show we are allowed to put ourselves in the Macross world with full VR support. For example, during the scenes when Minmay is holding her concert, we can watch it in VR with the option to put ourselves right at the front row of the concert. Another example would be when Hikaru has a dogfight in the Valkarie. The VR version will allow us just see the action from his eyes sitting in the cockpit of the Valkarie. That's just some examples of what we'll be able to do in the VR remake.

lawnmower.gif.2f81f014b16fcd8fd51ae7c6f66d8a80.gif

hmr_dougram_instead_40th_eF2uzQCw_lp_01.jpg

I like Dougram's 40th Anniversary being recognized by Bandai......another show is coming up on a 40th anniversary too.......hmmmm? 

Wonder if it is still not out of the realm of possibility to hope that Bandai may give some similar love with the Tomahawk and Phalanx for the 40th?  Diorama Giftset of some kind...maybe some support vehicles thrown in?  Hopefully the long wait will be worth it!

img.jpg?width=980

I would love to see some model re-issues, ideally a couple of new molds too. Plus would love to see any new books released of SDFM. Maybe a new art book with some of the model box art from the 80s.

Realistically I’ll be happy with anything. 😊

• 2 weeks later...

I would like to see a Arcadia 1/60 VF-1J Hikaru Use Premium Finish from Arcadia.  I would also like to see maybe some sort of grand release of Macross related titles with proper/official subtitles to be released to the west.  I would like to see, as #Gerli mentions, some western releases of all the awesome Macross games for current gen (PS5/XBox Series X/S) and/or last gen (PS4/XBox One/Nintendo Switch).  

As far as publications, perhaps the release of the Variable Fighter Master File series of books in English(or any other language than Japanese) for a broader audience.

Twich