shogun-e1607644488990.jpeg.59da603d55d070404fbc53c27aa5277c.jpeg

Onto the news, Shogun is getting a remake with Sanada Hiroyuki playing Toranaga and it's filming in Vancouver!

It's kind of big news for me because I am a bit of a samurai nut, it's filming in my neck of the woods, and there are some really cool samurai actors like Sanada Hiroyuki, Asano Tadanobu, and fellow Canadian Kanagawa Hiro!  Sorry, I'm geeking out over this.

From the Variety article:

The FX series adaptation of the James Clavell novel “Shōgun” has rounded out its main cast.

Anna Sawai has been cast in the lead role of Lady Mariko, joining previously announced leads Cosmo Jarvis and Hiroyuki Sanada. In addition, the ensemble cast will now also include: Tadanobu Asano, Fumi Nikaido, Tokuma Nishioka, Takehiro Hira, Ako, Shinnosuke Abe, Yasunari Takeshima, Hiroto Kanai, Toshi Toda, Hiro Kanagawa, Nestor Carbonell, Yuki Kura, Tommy Bastow, Moeka Hoshi, Yoriko Doguchi and Yuka Kouri.

Furthermore, Jonathan van Tulleken has come aboard to direct the first two episodes with production now underway in Vancouver. The show has received a 10-episode order at FX.

“Shōgun” is set in feudal Japan. It charts the collision of two ambitious men from different worlds and a mysterious female samurai. John Blackthorne (Jarvis), a risk-taking English pilot major ends up shipwrecked in Japan, a land whose unfamiliar culture will ultimately redefine him. Lord Toranaga (Sanada), a shrewd, powerful daimyo, is at odds with his own dangerous, political rivals. And Lady Mariko, a woman with invaluable skills but dishonorable family ties, must prove her value and allegiance.

https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/shogun-fx-series-hiroyuki-sanada-cosmo-jarvis-1234980183/

https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/shogun-series-at-fx-rounds-out-main-cast-1235078058/

https://vancouverisland.ctvnews.ca/tv-series-shogun-wraps-filming-in-ucluelet-1.5602463

Edited by peter
removing material under NDA

• peter changed the title to James Clavell's Shogun Remake 2021
11 minutes ago, Dynaman said:

I really liked the first one and it has aged well for a miniseries of the eighties (many of them have not aged well).  Happy to give this one a look too though.

There were some heavy hitters attached to the original version - Mifune Toshiro and Richard Chamberlain.

Some big shoes to fill, but Sanada Hiroyuki is a household name in Japan.  I'm not familiar with the actor playing Blackthorne.

1 minute ago, roboemo said:

I don't know but part of me also feel that they are also capitalizing on Nioh, which also had James Clavell-type story but with William Adams fighting Demons in Fantasy Japan.

I've never even heard of Nioh until you just mentioned it.  I thought maybe that other game, Ghosts of Tsushima (in terms of video games)?  But honestly, I'm not much of a gamer so I don't really know.

There hasn't been a really solid samurai film targeting western audiences since The Last Samurai, so maybe they just felt it was time?  I've only seen snippets of the original, but it looked pretty epic for the time.  

2 hours ago, peter said:

There hasn't been a really solid samurai film targeting western audiences since The Last Samurai, so maybe they just felt it was time?  I've only seen snippets of the original, but it looked pretty epic for the time.  

Well worth it to find it on video or streaming.  

4 hours ago, Dynaman said:

Well worth it to find it on video or streaming.  

I've read about Hideyoshi, Ieyasu (Toronaga was based off him) and Nobunaga, so I sort of know what it's about, but I should familiarize myself with the content of this story. 

11 hours ago, peter said:

I've read about Hideyoshi, Ieyasu (Toronaga was based off him) and Nobunaga, so I sort of know what it's about, but I should familiarize myself with the content of this story. 

Clavell's works are fiction based on historical events.  So don't get too worried about the actual history.  Darn good story though.

OK, will definitely try to find it somewhere and watch it.

I wish I could talk about the current production more, and why I think it's going to be awesome, but I can't disclose anything beyond what is already publicly available.

Edited by peter

• 7 months later...
On 10/5/2021 at 12:30 AM, peter said:

I've only seen snippets of the original, but it looked pretty epic for the time.  

Its worth watching. I dont remember it being massively action packed, but still good.

Hope the remake is as good and not too slow moving, I really could use a good sword slashing samurai something to watch. 😁

Edited by Podtastic

• 1 year later...
  • azrael changed the title to James Clavell's Shogun on FX, premieres on Feb 27, 2024
  • 4 weeks later...
On 10/5/2021 at 12:35 AM, peter said:

Essentially; Nobunaga has come and gone, Hideyoshi just recently passed and we are dealing with the same fall-out that followed in real life; underage heir technially will rule but the Regents who were put in place to hold the power for him would much rather just take it for themselves.  English Blackburn is just there to stir the pot up every possible way, so far. 

Yeah I'm all caught up and this is absolutely the best thing on TV right now, it's frakking fantastic. Excellent performances, the show is gorgeous, there's intrigue and drama, it's just a 10/10, highly recommended. 

The series is moving very fast and they're condensing events more than I thought they would given the run time of it. I suspect they're saving a chunk of time for

Spoiler

a big battle at the end of the series that was never in the book.