Vintage 1:72 Regult kit

tekering

Having spent the last half-hour slapping this vintage kit together, I'm really impressed with the articulation and the proportional accuracy...

898028280_vintageregult.jpg.fd7f30ef4514b2b442339668daea1cfe.jpg

In fact, I just ordered a second one. ^_^

2146059231_vintagevs_HMR.jpg.15f53a6dc31b8843c8cceb7c5dd474b6.jpg

Once paint and markings have been applied, these will likely replace the rather diminutive Regults in my Hi-Metal R display.

I’ve always passed on this kit assuming it lacked detail and that the proportions would be off. But looking at your picture the kit looks good. I’ll probably need to pick this up now. Thanks.

Indecently, does anyone know if the Bandai Glaug kit is as good, in both detail and proportions? And if so, is one scale better than the other, 1/72 vs 1/100 kit?

Cheers!

48 minutes ago, lochness said:

I’ll probably need to pick this up now. Thanks.

10 hours ago, Bolt said:

A few more would be awesome .

46 minutes ago, pengbuzz said:

i would love to get this kit

The 2010 Bandai reissues are still plentiful here, at the retail cost of ¥2000. :good:

49 minutes ago, lochness said:

Indecently, does anyone know if the Bandai Glaug kit is as good, in both detail and proportions? And if so, is one scale better than the other, 1/72 vs 1/100 kit?

Well, the 1:100 Glaug is a little undersized, but I wouldn't call it "indecent." 😅

Bandai never reissued the 1:72 Glaug, and the original Arii kits go for big bucks nowadays... :unsure:

Nonetheless, I should be able to provide you with an objective comparison in the next few days. ^_^

4 hours ago, lochness said:

I’ve always passed on this kit assuming it lacked detail and that the proportions would be off. But looking at your picture the kit looks good. I’ll probably need to pick this up now. Thanks.

It's a nice kit.  However, it's also a child of its era.  So there's no rubber grommets in the joints like the ones introduced in Gunpla.  Due to that, the legs become a floppy mess if most of the joints* in them aren't glued solid.  That said, the legs have great articulation.

* there's like 5 spread out between the hip and knee (not including the "hip" where the legs attach to the torso)!

Edited by sketchley

On 9/26/2021 at 9:51 PM, tekering said:

The 2010 Bandai reissues are still plentiful here, at the retail cost of ¥2000. :good:

Well, the 1:100 Glaug is a little undersized, but I wouldn't call it "indecent." 😅

Bandai never reissued the 1:72 Glaug, and the original Arii kits go for big bucks nowadays... :unsure:

Nonetheless, I should be able to provide you with an objective comparison in the next few days. ^_^

Thanks Tekering! I look forward to hearing more on the Glaug. 😊

21 hours ago, sketchley said:

It's a nice kit.  However, it's also a child of its era.  So there's no rubber grommets in the joints like the ones introduced in Gunpla.  Due to that, the legs become a floppy mess if most of the joints* in them aren't glued solid.  That said, the legs have great articulation.

* there's like 5 spread out between the hip and knee (not including the "hip" where the legs attach to the torso)!

That’s great information Sketchley, thanks!

I’m going to pick up one and probably glue the joints into a pose.

Cheers!

7 hours ago, lochness said:

I look forward to hearing more on the Glaug. 😊

I just scored one for under ¥10,000 (including shipping), which is a fair price on the secondary market here.  Hopefully it'll prove large and detailed enough to justify the cost.

Stay tuned!

13 minutes ago, Gabe Q said:

A member here built the Arii 1/72 Glaug.

A couple of members, in fact... but while pictures of completed models are available, what does the raw kit look like?  What colors are the parts molded in?  Where are the seam lines?  How does the scale compare to the 1:100 kit, or the Hi-Metal R toy version?  There's just no source of reference for questions like that.

That's why I had to track down one of my own (and the 1:72 Regult, which turned out to be a pleasant surprise).  I don't expect a vintage '80s release to be nearly as good as a 2010 Bandai reissue, but I'm still hoping to find the definitive Glaug for my collection...

...at least, until I acquire a Moscato "Graug," that is. 😅

1297444-73890-83-pristine.jpg

On 9/28/2021 at 4:31 PM, tekering said:

A couple of members, in fact... but while pictures of completed models are available, what does the raw kit look like?  What colors are the parts molded in?  Where are the seam lines?  How does the scale compare to the 1:100 kit, or the Hi-Metal R toy version?  There's just no source of reference for questions like that.

Generally, kits of this vintage are molded in one or two colors (no multiple colors on the same sprue!), seam lines run right down the middle of parts, arms and legs must be assembled and painted in multiple stages because the limb sections do not use polycaps, and quite a bit of work is necessary to get a decent result. Depending on the kit, the last part might require rebuilding whole sections from scratch and/or adding detail/making holes

On 9/27/2021 at 4:36 AM, sketchley said:

Sounds like it would be a mini-project then to develop some poly-cap based joints that didn't flop around. I might just have to look into seeing about getting one for my next b-day for a project to work on.

• 2 weeks later...

The Regault kit is old, but it DOES still look good and had some nice features on it. We bought the re-release when they first came out. I have to build it with my son.

I look forward to your finished build! - MT

On 9/26/2021 at 4:16 PM, tekering said:

proportional accuracy...

It looks good and larger is better.

But isn't the Zentraedi only supposed to come up to its "knee"? That is one of the few things I got out of Delta.

And at that size he really could fit in the pod.

Nice sensor eye BTW. Is that standard with the kit?

Edited by Podtastic

5 hours ago, Podtastic said:

But isn't the Zentraedi only supposed to come up to its "knee"?

Yeah, it's not a logical 1:72, but it's the biggest Regult I have... and it's a heck of a lot closer than the so-called 1:72 Glaug, which (by pilot scale) is closer to 1:150. <_<

And the more I look at the anime, the more I find myself coming around to your way of thinking.  The Zentraedi are never depicted as 10 meters tall; they're all at least 12m when interacting with UN Spacy mecha, and much larger still when interacting with humans directly.  It's just such an inconsistent mess. 🤨

20 hours ago, Podtastic said:

But isn't the Zentraedi only supposed to come up to its "knee"? That is one of the few things I got out of Delta.

And at that size he really could fit in the pod.

Nice sensor eye BTW. Is that standard with the kit?

yes the detailed eye sensor comes in the kit.

The Zentraedi featured model by OP is Kanjim which is much taller than the average Zentran. The average soldier should be slightly higher than Kanjim's shoulders which I think would put them close to the 'right' height of this bandai 1/72 Regult. Maybe slightly bigger though.

85836422_macrossscalezentranregultsoldier02.jpg.44cd58c88e016129a5a5af603ec6449b.jpg

Even though this soldier is "to scale" and seems it would fit in the Regult, I still think is a bit bigger than what it should.

The only thing I don't like much about the 1/72 Bandai Regult is that flattened frontal look. I prefer it a bit more round

Edited by 007-vf1
spelling