VF-1D Canopy Question

lochness

Hi Everyone,

I’m hoping someone here can help me with this question. I’m looking to customize my Hasegawa 1/48 VF-1A/J model into a VF-1D Virgin Road. I’m confident in making the cockpit extension, updated head and panel line updates but I’m not sure how to do the canopy as I don’t have a vacuum form setup. I was hoping someone here would know if there may be another kit out there I can use. Maybe a 1/48 F-14 that would work? Or does anyone know another way to get a 1/48 canopy that would fit on a VF-1D?

Thanks in advance. 

On 9/17/2021 at 8:24 PM, lochness said:

Hi Everyone,

I’m hoping someone here can help me with this question. I’m looking to customize my Hasegawa 1/48 VF-1A/J model into a VF-1D Virgin Road. I’m confident in making the cockpit extension, updated head and panel line updates but I’m not sure how to do the canopy as I don’t have a vacuum form setup. I was hoping someone here would know if there may be another kit out there I can use. Maybe a 1/48 F-14 that would work? Or does anyone know another way to get a 1/48 canopy that would fit on a VF-1D?

Thanks in advance. 

A Tomcat canopy will be too big and bulbous... maybe if you tried it backwards?

The geometry is really quite different.  *Depends on how closely the donor-kit nailed the F-14 canopy*

Honestly I'm just going to wait for Hase to make one in 1/48... it's a far better shot than a YF-22 [PLEASE Hasegawa!] in that scale anyhow.

Edited by slide

Making a vacuum former isn't really that complicated. A lot of Japanese hobby guide books usually have a chapter where they build one out of dollar store parts. A plastic box to plug the vacuum cleaner into, a grater over it as the work surface, some basic frame to hold the plastic stock and heat that over your oven.

Heck, depending on the shape of the part sometimes they don't even vacuum it. They just heat it and pull it over the "buck"

From Scratch Build Manual 1: vac1.jpg.1b95cb3861724257129f775e1d5757c7.jpg

From Scratch Build Manual 2, building the box out of dollar store MDF scraps:

vac2.jpg.7358fd0f67f6ba4154160974fb1f4ccb.jpg

The important part here is once you actually get around to making your vacuum former, get the "buck" done and start pulling parts off of it, THEN Hasegawa will announce the actual kit to spite you. Someone has to bite the bullet so the rest of us can get the kit 😛

2 hours ago, TMBounty_Hunter said:

The important part here is once you actually get around to making your vacuum former, get the "buck" done and start pulling parts off of it, THEN Hasegawa will announce the actual kit to spite you. Someone has to bite the bullet so the rest of us can get the kit 😛

^That;)

5 hours ago, TMBounty_Hunter said:

Making a vacuum former isn't really that complicated. A lot of Japanese hobby guide books usually have a chapter where they build one out of dollar store parts. A plastic box to plug the vacuum cleaner into, a grater over it as the work surface, some basic frame to hold the plastic stock and heat that over your oven.

Heck, depending on the shape of the part sometimes they don't even vacuum it. They just heat it and pull it over the "buck"

From Scratch Build Manual 1: vac1.jpg.1b95cb3861724257129f775e1d5757c7.jpg

From Scratch Build Manual 2, building the box out of dollar store MDF scraps:

vac2.jpg.7358fd0f67f6ba4154160974fb1f4ccb.jpg

Well, when I made the canopy for my fighter, the "heat and smash" technique is what I used.

Hint: on those tiny 1:100 valks, use soda bottle plastic instead or styrene. I did a 1/100 Super Valk and the canopy was hideously thick! The soda bottle plastic was scale thin and good to go!

Thanks Everyone! These are great suggestions.

I’m aiming to start the build in about three weeks when I move into my new place, so I have some time to think how I’m going to approach it. I’ll need to confirm the canopy’s cross-section but if it’s straight the “heat and smash” technique would work well. If I find that the canopy’s cross-section comes in at the bottom then building a cheap vacuum former as described would be the ideal setup.

Thanks again!

Edited by lochness

I TOTALLY recommend doing vacu-form or Pengbuzz's "heat and smash" technique. It is fun to learn and you'll use it again - I'd almost guarantee it. Just make sure your "buck" is smooth so the canopy is smooth. Want colored glass? Some soda bottles will work too when you cut them open to make a sheet. - MT

On 9/20/2021 at 12:39 AM, lochness said:

Thanks Everyone! These are great suggestions.

I’m aiming to start the build in about three weeks when I move into my new place, so I have some time to think how I’m going to approach it. I’ll need to confirm the canopy’s cross-section but if it’s straight the “heat and smash” technique would work well. If I find that the canopy’s cross-section comes in at the bottom then building a cheap vacuum former as described would be the ideal setup.

Thanks again!

If all else fails, I have a 1/48 F-15 Eagle canopy that might work. Let me know if you end up needing it.