A documentary on Macross

Pink Platypus

Hi! I'm posting here (I hope I'm not in the wrong forum, I'm new...) to tell you about my documentary film project about Macross! Because a video is worth more than 1000 words, here is the presentation video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-z0XYp8aP0

And here is the crowdfunding page:

https://www.kisskissbankbank.com/en/projects/pink-platypus-do-you-remember-macross

Finally, here is the link to my first movie (about Gundam this time) which unfortunately doesn't have English subtitles yet, but as explained in the presentation video, they are being created (but it's a very long and difficult work because I didn't plan it originally...) :

https://vimeo.com/570028706

Thanks to you, I hope this movie will motivate you as much as I do, I hope to honor this franchise that deserves it! The goal will not be reached easily, this is typically the kind of project that needs to be shared a lot to succeed. So, if you want to help me relay it on social networks, here are the original Twitter and Facebook posts:

https://twitter.com/PlatypusPink/status/1433097582910349312
https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=165456475726986

Thanks again to you, long live Macross!

POSTER 2.png

Edited by Pink Platypus

16 minutes ago, Superelello said:

Your documentary on Gundam GENESIS is really very good, I watched it at the beginning of the year, I'm looking forward to the Macross.

Thank you so much! Did you manage to understand the film despite the lack of English subtitles? Or maybe you used the automatically generated English subtitles when the movie was still available on YouTube? This is an option that doesn't exist on Vimeo unfortunately, but the subtitles I'm working on will be much more professional !

I'm also looking forward to the production of this second film, unfortunately I can't re-ask my team to volunteer again, hence the crowdfunding. The only way for me to be able to make this film is to reach the goal, even though I know it's a very difficult challenge... >.<

• 2 weeks later...

Hi! I'm reposting here my crowdfunding for a Macross and Robotech documentary! Sorry for the repost, there are few days left but still a lot to do to reach the goal. Only then the production of the film can start. I need you and the American mecha community if I am to succeed. The documentary will be offered with English subtitles or English dubbing depending on the level reached.

https://www.kisskissbankbank.com/en/projects/pink-platypus-do-you-remember-macross

I count on you, together we can do it!

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2021-09-23/french-director-has-1-week-to-complete-crowdfunding-campaign-for-a-macross-documentary/.177638

Backers still have seven days to contribute to reach the goal of €15,000. At the time of publishing this article, €1,147 is still needed. If the crowdfunding reaches the level of €25,000, an English dub will be offered. The project's introduction reads:

The film will go back to the birth of Studio Nue in the early 70's, up to the productions of the first Macross series (1982-1983) and the film Do You Remember Love? (1984). Finally, I will discuss its American adaptation, Robotech (1985), produced by Harmony Gold. DO YOU REMEMBER MACROSS will explore many interviews from various archives as well as hundreds of visuals, drawings and photos, digitized in high resolution and mostly unpublished outside Japan. Once completed, it will be available for free on Vimeo, in French version (and English depending on the level reached) with optional English subtitles.

The visual above was made by Yom, French animator. A promotional video for the project has also been released:

1 hour ago, Keith said:

Wait, they didn't ask first? lol

Seems not...

3 minutes ago, Gerli said:

Project Valkyrie (The Argentinian Fan-Film) DID ask first...

Their problem was they asked someone who couldn't actually legally give permission... and then both they AND the people they asked got in trouble. 😅

This is more straightforward.

1 hour ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Their problem was they asked someone who couldn't actually legally give permission... and then both they AND the people they asked got in trouble. 😅

This is more straightforward.

Best for folks to wait on asking TPTB about that until this is all hashed out and settled.

Under most fair use laws documentaries are covered.  There's numerous unauthorized books about the making of countless properties.  You can even use a limited amount of said copywritten material for such things.  That doesn't stop IP holders from threating people with legal actions.   You might be protected legally but lack the funds to defend yourself against such tactics.

5 hours ago, Roy Focker said:

Under most fair use laws documentaries are covered.  There's numerous unauthorized books about the making of countless properties.  You can even use a limited amount of said copywritten material for such things.  That doesn't stop IP holders from threating people with legal actions.   You might be protected legally but lack the funds to defend yourself against such tactics.

Fair Use has to meet certain qualifications outlined by law and legal precedent.

The most likely explanation is that it got nuked was because it was crowdfunded.  That would arguably make it a commercial, for-profit endeavour and precedent makes such uses of copyrighted material without permission presumptively unfair.  

2 hours ago, Gerli said:

So... the guys from Toy Galaxy did get away with it, but not this guy? 

Did the Toy Galaxy guy crowdfund his?

On 9/25/2021 at 12:32 PM, Gerli said:

So... the guys from Toy Galaxy did get away with it, but not this guy? 

frakk HG.

Not those videos specifically. Toy Galaxy gets funding like any other YT channel. So Patreon, Twitch (in the last year), corporate sponsors and YouTube revenue. That is to do all their videos. I guess it depends on how Patreon is viewed since it's like a subscription/crowdfund hybrid.

For Toy Galaxy to get a C&D would just be them being asked to remove the videos, which if HG or BW want to request then YouTube has the tools for that.

2 hours ago, Focslain said:

Not those videos specifically. Toy Galaxy gets funding like any other YT channel. So Patreon, Twitch (in the last year), corporate sponsors and YouTube revenue. That is to do all their videos. I guess it depends on how Patreon is viewed since it's like a subscription/crowdfund hybrid.

Maybe... or it might just be that Toy Galaxy did one short-ish episode on the whole Robotech/Macross thing without any dedicated/separate funding for that project specifically.  Or it may be that Toy Galaxy used the absolute minimum amount of imagery from the animation.  Using the minimum amount necessary for review is one of the standard criteria for a Fair Use defense.

I'd imagine that most, if not all, of the stakeholders in Macross distribution have a dim view of crowdfunding after the Palladium Books Robotech Kickstarter scandal(s) too.  We do know HG's absolutely death on crowdfunding between that and their own original epic fail, and I'd expect Big West probably wasn't happy about its IP being peripherally involved in Kevin Siembieda's financial misconduct either.

Yeah, since it was about the Robotech side and Macross was only mentioned in the first and fifth video to give context. Think in the first one he stated that he wasn't going to explain Macross cause that would need a separate video in it's own right. 

To me It's painfully clear; HG WANTS his crappy brand "Robotech" to be ALWAYS mentioned/associated with Macross and will do ANYTHING to force that into the rest of the world.

They are nefarious.

Peace was never an option.

On 9/27/2021 at 10:49 AM, Seto Kaiba said:

Maybe... or it might just be that Toy Galaxy did one short-ish episode on the whole Robotech/Macross thing without any dedicated/separate funding for that project specifically.  Or it may be that Toy Galaxy used the absolute minimum amount of imagery from the animation.  Using the minimum amount necessary for review is one of the standard criteria for a Fair Use defense.

I'd imagine that most, if not all, of the stakeholders in Macross distribution have a dim view of crowdfunding after the Palladium Books Robotech Kickstarter scandal(s) too.  We do know HG's absolutely death on crowdfunding between that and their own original epic fail, and I'd expect Big West probably wasn't happy about its IP being peripherally involved in Kevin Siembieda's financial misconduct either.

It seems anytime HG gets involved with things of a financial nature, it goes pear-shaped with dismal regularity...