You can only watch one movie for the rest of your life........

sqidd

On 9/8/2021 at 1:47 AM, Podtastic said:

I do that already.

It is better to watch Star Wars a thousand times than to watch Skyline even once.

I think what I would like to do is whatever new movie or old movie I haven't seen for Friday or Saturday. The rest only the favorites. Hopefully get to the point where it's just new releases to see.

And I still haven't seen Skyline yet. I heard it wasn't good. I believe it was by the director that made the second really bad Alien vs Predator movie. But it's space aliens so I still wanted to check it out. I think I read a third or fourth one was coming out soon. I'm probably one of the few people that doesn't like Independence Day. So I find it funny when somehow people are able to make a movie worse than that.

4 hours ago, JetJockey said:

I think what I would like to do is whatever new movie or old movie I haven't seen for Friday or Saturday. The rest only the favorites. Hopefully get to the point where it's just new releases to see.

And I still haven't seen Skyline yet. I heard it wasn't good. I believe it was by the director that made the second really bad Alien vs Predator movie. But it's space aliens so I still wanted to check it out. I think I read a third or fourth one was coming out soon. I'm probably one of the few people that doesn't like Independence Day. So I find it funny when somehow people are able to make a movie worse than that.

AVP Requiem and Independence Day can in no way be compared to Skyline.

The Predator and SW The Last Jedi also look good in comparison. This should tell you something.

If you never take my advice on anything else, take it in this.

DO NOT WATCH SKYLINE. NOT EVEN ONCE.

You will regret it for the rest of your life.

If movie critics had any taste they would align with audience reactions, which I will sumnarise below:

" Can I have those two hours back?"

"What the Hell were they thinking?!"

"If you see the dvd lying around anywhere, stamp on it!"

Edited by Podtastic

6 hours ago, Podtastic said:

The Predator and SW The Last Jedi also look good in comparison. This should tell you something.

If movie critics had any taste they would align with audience reactions, which I will sumnarise below:

I actually paid to see SKYLINE in the theater... what was I thinking? LOL

Still, the sequels on NETFLIX are decent B-movie fun.

37 minutes ago, sqidd said:

Interesting. This movie is contact pounded on. I wouldn't pick it as my last movie on earth, but I did enjoy it.

Considering it's my last movie on earth: it actually gives me a little bit of everything in one movie. I get anthropology, space travel, intrigue, tethering to an older existing movie universe; but is strong enough to be viewed as its own thing, great cast, action, drama, etc. It's dynamic enough on its own though- I love watching Covenant straight after; that I don't need the follow up.

Edited by blackconvoy_D01

1 hour ago, blackconvoy_D01 said:

little bit of everything in one movie

The Engineer culture is fun to speculate about as it isnt really explained.

Examining their design aesthetics and their application of their technology, I just can't see them as being benevolent benefactors in any way.

Their culture and technology dominating all life in an absolutely oppressive utalitarian way just seems to fit better.

What is perplexing is why they would want to destroy humanity.

It makes sense that they would see our development of AI as a potential emergent threat, but that doesnt explain why they would want to destroy humanity  2000 years ago.

Ridley Scott's allusion to the Crucifixion of an Engineer "Jesus" as the motive may make sense to him, but its absolutely daft to anyone with any accurate understanding of Christianity. Not because the Engineers wanting to exterminate all life on a planet for the loss of one of their own doesnt fit, but because Christian philosophy doesnt fit them at all.

And what is their relation to the xenomorphs?

For all its numerous flaws the movie does stimulate the imagination by NOT explaining everything onscreen.

Edited by Podtastic

2 hours ago, Podtastic said:

Yes

Examining their design aesthetics and their application of their technology, I just can't see them as being benevolent benefactors in any way.

Yes

Their culture and technology dominating all life in an absolutely oppressive utalitarian way just seems to fit better.

Yes

It makes sense that they would see our development of AI as a potential emergent threat, but that doesnt explain why they would want to destroy humanity  2000 years ago.

My impression was that we were an experiment that they either thought failed or they got the result they were looking for and were simply going to end it.

Ridley Scott's allusion to the Crucifixion of an Engineer "Jesus" as the motive may make sense to him, but its absolutely daft to anyone with any accurate understanding of Christianity. Not because the Engineers wanting to exterminate all life on a planet for the loss of one of their own doesnt fit, but because Christian philosophy doesnt fit them at all.

Yeah, this all seemed really thin.

I was under the impression that they made them.

Don’t get me started on Prometheus 🤮.

I hate that you had to watch a bunch of extras outside the film to fully “get” the story.

And the characters themselves are a crew of stupids continually prodding and dumbly poking at an explosive ball of stupid.

14 hours ago, Podtastic said:

Skyline is worse than The Predator and Last Jedi? The Predator is a shocking piece of crap. And Last Jedi is a pointless Star Wars movie that I reviewed around here.

But you know I have to see Skyline now that it is somehow worse than those two. At least Brittany Daniel is in it. She was in a really crude Friday the 13th slasher knock off called Club Dread. I'm in no rush to see Skyline though. I'll probably watch the whole series at once. I see Rhona Mitra is in the third one. People hate Doomsday but I thought she was awesome in that. Doomsday has that shot from Aliens. The director loves those movies.

I've seen some terrible movies before. So however bad Skyline is, it won't be anything new. The directors and producers just had people that wanted to support them.

6 hours ago, Podtastic said:

For all its numerous flaws the movie does stimulate the imagination by NOT explaining everything onscreen.

Prometheus is probably what happens when you have multiple writers and a director that wanted to tell a different story. Still a really good looking movie and a better exploration movie than all three recent Star Trek movies.

Yeah, I don’t think it’s quite as fun to change this to the movies we would leave behind. That should be another thread for an angrier site. 

The fun about this thread is more about finding those that agree with your decision and the sometimes surprising choices others make. We all have our favorites and some of us have picked some strange and visionary and sometimes silly films as their final choice

16 minutes ago, Big s said:

The fun about this thread is more about finding those that agree with your decision and the sometimes surprising choices others make. We all have our favorites and some of us have picked some strange and visionary and sometimes silly films as their final choice

This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

6 hours ago, TangledThorns said:

This thread is devolving into 'movies we don't want to see for the rest of our life' lol.

Sorry, I had to warn @JetJockey, I couldn't have it on my conscience.😂

9 hours ago, JetJockey said:

But you know I have to see Skyline now that it is somehow worse than those two

"The wise man learns from the deaths of others."

I will say no more.

I took a look at Skyline since we are talking about it. I've seen far worse. I'm talking stuff on Syfy and the old FearNet channel. The opening starts with a few good shots. But it's also a bit unneeded like the opening in that blind man movie that just received a sequel.

At first I thought this was going to be a garbage college kid type story. It felt like a first time filmmaker project for the first quarter or so and I thought it might get worse. However, it's pretty good in the middle sections. It reminded me of Night of the Living Dead. Of course not as good but still that section is the best part of the movie. If only they resisted the urge to setup a series or re-watched Night of the Living Dead, the original or remake, this might be a better movie.

Skyline is set for a sequel or like a comic book with the ending. Something at the ending felt straight out of a videogame. And I hate it when people say a movie is a videogame movie. Because people like that are lessening both videogames and movies. Like videogames are bad and a movie that's like a videogame is one of the worst things. But I had to rewind a scene at the ending a few times because of one shot. I was thinking what are they doing?! Then I couldn't believe it. Yes they did do that.

Maybe the sequels will complete the story and make the first one better. But I always think you should make a movie based on only one entry. And this movie alone will make you think what did you just watch at the end. Few good directors would do something like that to the audience. Especially since when Skyline was originally released it would take seven years for the sequel. Plus it's far from a good cliffhanger like in Empire Strikes Back.

Overall, Skyline is not the worst movie but far from the best. I've seen most of the cast in other movies and TV shows. They do a good job with what they are given. The directors are effects guys and haven't directed anything since. But Skyline is better than Alien vs Predator 2 which was so dark at times I couldn't tell what was going on. It's also better than The Predator which is true garbage. Like the guy who was actually in the original Predator didn't understand they not only made a good B movie but a classic with the original.

I wouldn't watch Last Jedi again because that's just an unforgivable movie. But I wouldn't watch Skyline again either. I will watch the sequels though. I read a bit of wiki on the sequel and watched almost an hour as I was curious how it starts after that ending. And yeah, they didn't really plan this that well as they couldn't even get some of the actors to reprise their roles. But I'll finish the sequel which is ok so far and the third one some time in the future.

I’m surprised no one mentioned Pulp Fiction yet.

Violent, funny, memorable soundtrack, and an utter poop-ton of quotable bits.

Plus, it sneaks in an overall theme about what it truly means to be a brother to your fellow man.

2 hours ago, Mog said:

I’m surprised no one mentioned Pulp Fiction yet.

Violent, funny, memorable soundtrack, and an utter poop-ton of quotable bits.

Plus, it sneaks in an overall theme about what it truly means to be a brother to your fellow man.

Well played sir. Well played.:hi:

16 hours ago, Podtastic said:

You must have seen some horrific movies.

I'm so thankful I have not suffered so terribly.:hail:

Yeah but I love seeing movies. The most recent one which can really upset viewers is The Empty Man. I don't want to spoil it if you haven't seen it. Definitely worth watching though.

22 hours ago, JetJockey said:

Yeah but I love seeing movies. The most recent one which can really upset viewers is The Empty Man. I don't want to spoil it if you haven't seen it. Definitely worth watching though.

Well most of the live action movies they make nowadays dont impress me, considering what they could be making.

What I really love is a good war movie.